PDA

View Full Version : Question about charcoal vapor canister...

Jim311
02-05-2005, 03:10 PM
Mine is completely destroyed. I'm worried about sucking water and garbage into my motor during deep water crossings. There are 3 lines coming off the canister, a large one, and two smaller ones. One of the smaller lines runs directly back to the motor. No clue where the other goes really. I want to solve this problem without spending 60 dollars on a new canister. My old canister is DESTROYED and full of mud/water. So my question is this... can I just connect the two small lines? What's the function of the large line? It just has a cap on it and doesn't seem to serve any real purpose that I can see. Also, could this account for why my Jeep has been so sluggish? A vaccum leak could cause this, correct? So should I just connect the two small ines, or plug them both with some RTV or something?

No smog laws here, btw.

OverkillZJ
02-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Large line is a vent, as far as I know. I've had the 2 lines connected together without a problem since GSW. It even passes emissions, so I'm not worried about finding a new box.

Jim311
02-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Large line is a vent, as far as I know. I've had the 2 lines connected together without a problem since GSW. It even passes emissions, so I'm not worried about finding a new box.

That's what I'm going to do. I'm hoping that since that vac leak is gone I'll maybe pick up some more MPG or a little more power. If not, I'm gonna look in other directions to find out why my Jeep has been feeling more sluggish than it used to.

8)

Kraqa
02-05-2005, 09:54 PM
make sure you connect the two lines together if not the tank fills with vapour and it hisses and makes a huge faccum sound when you take the cap off.

LouisianaZJ
02-05-2005, 10:19 PM
sluggish, eh

if you are just lucky like me, check your fuel lines for dents
8)
http://img24.exs.cx/img24/8416/fuelbrake_1654.jpg

haha.. :oops: :oops:

Cue-Ball
02-05-2005, 11:13 PM

So your canister is gone?

Jim311
02-05-2005, 11:35 PM
Never thought about the fuel lines being crimped. I'll check those out. The Jeep seems to be running better and getting better mileage now.

8)

OverkillZJ
02-05-2005, 11:36 PM

So your canister is gone?

Been gone since I hit it into a ledge a couple years ago. I put a huge hole in it, so I just got rid of it. I was having more problems with a cracked canister, than I've had with no canister at all. I've heard mixed reviews though.

Cue-Ball
02-06-2005, 01:17 AM
I think I am going to take mine off as it hangs down below my TR bumper and I want to trip some of the sheet metal there to follow the lines of the bumper.

I will see how it runs after removing it and then let you all know.

Won't get to it for a week or so though.

LouisianaZJ
02-06-2005, 01:41 AM
Never thought about the fuel lines being crimped. I'll check those out. The Jeep seems to be running better and getting better mileage now.

8)
yeah probably not you problem. i was lewking under the XJ one day, swapping in the 44. i wuz like WTF is my fuel line crimped

OverkillZJ
02-06-2005, 01:42 AM

8)
yeah probably not you problem. i was lewking under the XJ one day, swapping in the 44. i wuz like WTF is my fuel line crimped

How does one "lewk"?

:flipoff2:

LouisianaZJ
02-06-2005, 02:06 AM

8)

How does one "lewk"?

:flipoff2:
its a redneck thang

nate
02-06-2005, 02:17 AM
I connected the two small lines and my gas tank would always pressurize or have a vacuum, not sure which. It would hiss bad when I took the cap off.

Connected the canister back and never have had a problem since.

deadman
02-06-2005, 05:02 AM
I took my canister off last time I trimmed some more... connected the lines, and have no problem with it.

TrojanMan
02-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, one line comes from the gas tank into the canister. another line runs into the intake manifold. The third line is a vacuum line and can be plugged off, it controls a bunch of BS.

forexfour
02-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Hmmm, I crunched my Evap can wheelin. I was gonna move it but now after reading some of these threads I may just do as some of you have and tie the 2 lines together and see how it goes. I have a new can and was gonna move it.

97trxuszj
03-13-2005, 01:01 AM
So what do you guys do about the big line? take it off the sensor? and just leave it open no cap or plug?

TrojanMan
03-13-2005, 03:53 PM
So what do you guys do about the big line? take it off the sensor? and just leave it open no cap or plug?

I don't think i'd just leave a vaccum line open, i'd probably plug it off.

CORhino
05-02-2005, 05:30 PM
I recently moved mine into the engine compartment, but you can run it fine without the filter.

The big Hose is strictly a vapor vent, and should be hooked up IF you put the canister back.

The other two hoses (one to the gass tank, and one to the duty cylce purge solenoid) allow vapors from the gas tank to be pulled into the intake, so they can be burned off in the engine. (5.2L V8 anyway)

If you connect the two together, all you are doing is bypassing the filter, and sucking vapors directly off the gas tank. It will make the hissing noise everyone mentions, and probably dump very slightly more fuel into your engine (thus the power boost/mpg change). Either way, my filter is PACKED with crap, but I left it on, because it was there...

TrojanMan
05-02-2005, 11:24 PM
Nice first post :rock:

OverkillZJ
05-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Nice first post :rock:

Werd.