PDA

View Full Version : Car Lift

dank
02-04-2005, 03:14 PM
What is good and what do I need to avoid?? HF has a cheap 7,000 LB chiniese one and a nice bend pak 10,000 LB one. Its going to be outside on a slab, Id like it to have a clearfloor model 7,000 LBs or more 2 post/ swing arm........

OverkillZJ
02-04-2005, 06:39 PM
I really don't know a thing about lifts, but my rule is I never buy the cheap version of something that can cause my death (lifts, jack stands, torque wrenches, etc.)

Cue-Ball
02-04-2005, 07:03 PM
I really don't know a thing about lifts, but my rule is I never buy the cheap version of something that can cause my death (lifts, jack stands, torque wrenches, etc.)

That is a rule we should all adopt to one extent or another.

snarfer86
02-04-2005, 08:16 PM
im a big fan of the neon, but the camaro and miata are nice too.. :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/snarfer86/4X4neon.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/snarfer86/4x4camaroredneckmulletcar.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/snarfer86/60214970.jpg
:shock:

OverkillZJ
02-04-2005, 08:52 PM
So uh... What's that have to do with a garage lift?

snarfer86
02-04-2005, 09:58 PM

the title says "car lift" :roll:

OverkillZJ
02-04-2005, 10:50 PM

When he's talking about a lift that can hold 7,000 lbs, from Harbor Freight, in the SHOP TALK forum... He's obviously talking about this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46299

Jim311
02-05-2005, 01:20 AM
Even a cheap lift is better than no lift. Most hydro lifts have locking mechanisms anyway. There's no way in hell those will fail, even if they are HF cheapos. That'd be one hell of a lawsuit. Not that I'm necessarily recommending the HF lift, I'm just saying that safety shouldn't be a concern in this case. If you've ever used a hydraulic lift in a shop you'll hear the locks "clack" as the lift goes up. That's the locking mechanism snapping into place to ensure that even if the hydraulic cylinders fail, the load won't fall. But if it were my money, I might spend a bit more and get a better lift. That's just me tho 8)

AprilzWarrior
02-05-2005, 02:52 AM
Not ALL lifts have locks... mine for example... my old lift has none.. .I like the super speedy lift time, and down time. no stinking locks.. never had, never will.

Now, my new lift has locks, they are a pain in the ass, you have to hold the release while it lowers. And they are not the only safty device on a lift... there are also Cables that tie each ram together, incase one ram fails, its supported by the other one...

HTH
AW

snarfer86
02-05-2005, 04:31 AM

When he's talking about a lift that can hold 7,000 lbs, from Harbor Freight, in the SHOP TALK forum... He's obviously talking about this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46299

it was a joke jeezus :oops: ...dont get your panties all bundled up over it...and i do know what a car lift is.. we have 2 9k lb lifts in our auto shop

I agree with Dave, dont get a cheap one just to be cheap...

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
02-05-2005, 01:11 PM
it was a joke jeezus :oops: ...dont get your panties all bundled up over it...and i do know what a car lift is.. we have 2 9k lb lifts in our auto shop

this is a stricly business forum. no joking. ever.

OverkillZJ
02-05-2005, 01:25 PM

I agree with Dave, dont get a cheap one just to be cheap...

I know you were joking, I should've added some smileys. Not that we allow joking on this forum or anything!

I need to start a post in chit chat about how I'm high strung lately and to avoid me at all costs ;)

Jim311
02-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Not ALL lifts have locks... mine for example... my old lift has none.. .I like the super speedy lift time, and down time. no stinking locks.. never had, never will.

Now, my new lift has locks, they are a pain in the ass, you have to hold the release while it lowers. And they are not the only safty device on a lift... there are also Cables that tie each ram together, incase one ram fails, its supported by the other one...

HTH
AW

How hard is it to hold a lever and a button at the same time? :lol:

The point was, your life won't be in danger with this device, even if it is made by Harbor Freight. It might break and need to be repaired, but your life won't be in danger. That particular lift that he's referring to does have the locking mechanism. It's not going to kill anybody- it's designed not to.

AprilzWarrior
02-06-2005, 02:58 AM
Shit....

I sometimes have to reach just to hold the hydro release... as Im looking at a tranny or axle as I lower the vehicle... if I had 2 hands on the lift, I couldnt be leaning over to see what I need to see ....

I guess you just dont know, untill you have one.

AW

nate
02-06-2005, 05:38 AM
Yeah the locks are a PITA, but they are there for a reason.

Just about every shop I've been in they are vice-gripped pulled so they don't work. The shop my Dad worked at was like that. A tool cart saved a life when the lift decided to drop. Owner of the shop was under working on the car. Tool cart held up pretty good too... still used it afterwards. :D

Jim311
02-06-2005, 01:21 PM
Yeah the locks are a PITA, but they are there for a reason.

Just about every shop I've been in they are vice-gripped pulled so they don't work. The shop my Dad worked at was like that. A tool cart saved a life when the lift decided to drop. Owner of the shop was under working on the car. Tool cart held up pretty good too... still used it afterwards. :D

Eliminating a safety device is DUMB! There's a reason it's there.

nate
02-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Is there an echo??