PDA

View Full Version : ABS problem on the GC

midwest97gc
02-03-2005, 07:27 PM
How goes it? I am new here to this forum, but not to Jeeps. TexasZJ1 sent me here from jeepforum.com

Anyways, I searched this but could not find much help to my specific problem...

I will slam on my brakes as hard as I can and I can never lock them up or even get the ABS to kick in. I read in the forum about another GC owner who was having the same problem and tried all different things, none of which worked.

Do you think there is something wrong with my ABS? Is there something that I can look for on the Jeep that will give an answer to why it is not working properly? I am tight on money and do not want to necesarily take it in yet.

Thanks

Cassius

BigDaveZJ
02-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Not sure what this has to do with suspension or steering . . . . moving to Repair Shop.

LouisianaZJ
02-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Not sure what this has to do with suspension or steering . . . . moving to Repair Shop.
he must be high or sumthing :) :o

MaineZJ
02-03-2005, 08:10 PM
I will slam on my brakes as hard as I can and I can never lock them up or even get the ABS to kick in.

Isn't that what's supposed to happen? The ABS keeps the tires from locking up...

LouisianaZJ
02-03-2005, 08:12 PM
why dont you clue us into what repairs you have done so far....

if you have done all the normal stuff it might be air in the lines or a bad master cyliner

Jeepinparrothead
02-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Just like Maine, I thought that ABS was SUPPOSE to keep the tires from locking up. I don't have it anymore, but I thought that is how it worked. I fail to see the problem. Please tell us.

TrojanMan
02-04-2005, 12:10 AM
Do you feel a vibe/pumping when you slam on the brakes when you expect the tires to lock up? Mine do the same thing

and that's exactly what they're supposed to do.

PassRunnerZJ
02-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Trojan man is correct in that you should feel the ABS cycling on and off to keep the tires from locking up. Try to lock them up on some gravel and see what happens. When we replaced the axles I got from Cody under my ZJ for lower gears we found that one of the ABS sensors was too far away from the "indicator" and it would slow the ZJ down to almost stopping without locking up, but the it would release the pressure and roll another ten feet or so before stopping. It was a really weird sensation.

Side note: I can't imagine how Cody would have tweeked a sensor on an axle.