PDA

View Full Version : Why would one buy a PSC power steering box?

chadjans
02-03-2005, 02:58 AM
A tap and pipe fittings works just as good as well as a power steering pump rebuild kit. :?:

Nordic1
02-03-2005, 03:54 AM
The box is pretty stout.. here's the specs from www.pscpowersteer.com

621MR - X-treme Duty w/ Ram Assist steering gear (you can order the 621M and it'll be cheaper but without the ram ports), 14:1 ratio (instead of 12:1 or 13:1), 3/4"x 30 input shaft, large 3.125" (stock is 2.750 so this is where the box has the extra power) piston diameter, metric o-ring type ports (stock)

MaineZJ
02-03-2005, 08:43 AM
I'll keep myself from selling a kidney to buy one of them, and go with like a Durango box, or waggy

ATL ZJ
02-03-2005, 10:53 AM
J20 boxes are ideal, but impossible to find. Waggys are 4 bolt, but only 3" bore, rather than 3.5"

I also drive my Jeep daily and would prefer something more responsive than hydro assist.

My stock box is about to perish anyways.

I like the idea of having 4 bolts holding my steering box to the framerail, so keeping the stock box would be unattractive anyways.

Jim311
02-03-2005, 11:55 AM
IF there is a group buy, how much are we looking at price wise for one of these bitches? I'm actually close to the guy who's got the business that Gabe was talking about. Plus I get super cheap UPS shipping from the business I work for. Perhaps if the price is right I'll get one. I've been wanting to redo my steering with something a little more stout for a while now, as my TREs are quickly failing.

OverkillZJ
02-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Just remember, as Dave requested (it's his site after all) - the vendor running the group buy would need to start a thread in Vender Marketplace to actually run the group buy.

But discussion of "why buy one" is fine here - point is prices are to be kept out of anything but Vendor Marketplace. We're just trying to keep this place relatively organized.

BigDaveZJ
02-03-2005, 01:25 PM
But discussion of "why buy one" is fine here

Except it's in chit chat!!

EDIT: WAS in chit chat, moved to a more appropriate forum.

MaineZJ
02-03-2005, 01:58 PM
J20 boxes are ideal, but impossible to find. Waggys are 4 bolt, but only 3" bore, rather than 3.5"

I also drive my Jeep daily and would prefer something more responsive than hydro assist.

I like the idea of having 4 bolts holding my steering box to the framerail, so keeping the stock box would be unattractive anyways.

Durango only uses 3 bolts, but it's bigger than a waggy

ATL ZJ
02-03-2005, 02:49 PM

Durango only uses 3 bolts, but it's bigger than a waggy

Exactly. I said Waggy was not the big bore box. I want it all in one package, hence PSC.

MaineZJ
02-03-2005, 03:19 PM
I don't think a 4th bolt is really worth $100

ATL ZJ
02-03-2005, 03:54 PM
I don't think a 4th bolt is really worth $100

Timzjatl on here has ripped 2 three bolt steering boxes of the frame running 36" TSLs, locked up front. He was running a steering box brace as well. I am running 35s and will be locking the front soon. This leads me to believe I would benefit from that 4th bolt.

Of course I could go with the Durango box and just tap it for hydro assist. However, I need the steering to be responsive on the street, so in my mind that eliminates hydro assist as a good option for my purposes. But then again, I have never driven a vehicle with hydro assist and am just going on what I've heard, so correct me if I am way off base.

MaineZJ
02-03-2005, 04:03 PM
a proper hydro assit will be as fast as a non-assist

ATL ZJ
02-03-2005, 04:06 PM

Maybe I haven't looked into this enough then. What does a "proper hydro assist" consist of? Mainly big enough ram, or...

chadjans
02-03-2005, 05:19 PM

Maybe I haven't looked into this enough then. What does a "proper hydro assist" consist of? Mainly big enough ram, or...

A 6 or 8 inch steering ram, a tapped box and some fab time. The 4th bolt is never needed then. I guess I am getting cheap after building stuff with friends who live by, "build what you got."

Chad

Cody
02-03-2005, 05:39 PM
I think the 3 bolts are strong enough. I ripped a box off my frame, but it was only because the bolts had worked loose. I ended up boring out the hole to fit 1 size bigger bolt (5/8 I think). I just make sure it's tight every couple of trips and I haven't had any problems.

Hydro assist is sweet but you'de have to ditch the inverted 'y' steering setup to run it. RockLogic was trying to build a kit to work with the stock steering but I think it got buried due to engineering and lack of time.

Once you go to hydro assist, you can't go back. I think it's plenty responsive, I trust it enough to fishtail around corners on dirt roads at 70+ mph. I don't notice any lag or anything.

Cody

MaineZJ
02-03-2005, 06:50 PM
piston diameter must jive with hyro flow and pressure.

basic:
really high pressure with low flow makes something really powerful but slow
low pressure, high flow rate makes something fast but weak

norcaljr
02-03-2005, 09:36 PM
After seeing Chase's PSC steering box... im down for a group buy if anyone is intrested.

Swamp boy
02-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Will a dodge truck box work or does it have to be a durango??

Also is the dodge pump better than the stock Jeep one???

I have a leaky pump agian and Its driving me nuts..

ATL ZJ
02-03-2005, 10:58 PM
After seeing Chase's PSC steering box... im down for a group buy if anyone is intrested.

I would also be in on a group buy. However, we can't organize it ourselves. I tried and it only resulted in this: http://mallcrawlin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1278

The proper way to do it in accordance with the will of the administrators of this forum is to have the person in charge, in this case ggruszynski, go through them before posting it in Vendor Marketplace. The rules are here: http://mallcrawlin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1279. I already PMed ggruszynski, so hopefully he'll be able to help us out with this.

Cam

ggruszynski
02-03-2005, 11:29 PM
Thread has been started in the appropriate forum.

norcaljr
02-04-2005, 12:15 AM

I would also be in on a group buy. However, we can't organize it ourselves. I tried and it only resulted in this: http://mallcrawlin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1278

The proper way to do it in accordance with the will of the administrators of this forum is to have the person in charge, in this case ggruszynski, go through them before posting it in Vendor Marketplace. The rules are here: http://mallcrawlin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1279. I already PMed ggruszynski, so hopefully he'll be able to help us out with this.

Cam

or we could do it on that " other jeep forum " http://users.pandora.be/IMS/smileys/mad15.gif

ggruszynski
02-04-2005, 12:18 AM
Check out this one's group buy forum. Better here than "the other one"!

chadjans
02-04-2005, 01:39 AM
Since this is my post I vote for a group buy on pipe taps and steering box seal kits. Anyone want to handle that one?

nathaniel
02-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Since this is my post I vote for a group buy on pipe taps and steering box seal kits. Anyone want to handle that one?

Chad the only problem with that is the disassembly required to tap the box or I would be doing that. I've replaced the lower seals before and that alone is an undertaking. kevin tried to rebuild one once and didn't get it back together properly and it only turned one direction. I've read the instructions and getting ball bearings and stuff all back in there without screwing it up looks difficult and time consuming. I might give it a shot on my black jeep since the seals are shot on it anyways. I'm also cosidering welding another tab to the stock box since it will be dismantled anyway.

chadjans
02-04-2005, 03:29 PM

Chad the only problem with that is the disassembly required to tap the box or I would be doing that. I've replaced the lower seals before and that alone is an undertaking. kevin tried to rebuild one once and didn't get it back together properly and it only turned one direction. I've read the instructions and getting ball bearings and stuff all back in there without screwing it up looks difficult and time consuming. I might give it a shot on my black jeep since the seals are shot on it anyways. I'm also cosidering welding another tab to the stock box since it will be dismantled anyway.

I plan on socliciting the help of my friend David. He has done his and others with great success.

Chad

nathaniel
02-04-2005, 11:00 PM

I plan on socliciting the help of my friend David. He has done his and others with great success.

Chad

Does he want to do another. Its already pulled :D

AprilzWarrior
02-04-2005, 11:09 PM
I still love the J20s, those are really nice units !

Now a dodge Sector Shaft is the SAME as a ZJ, so the pitman arms will work the same... I dont know if it mounts the same, but why not ?

AW