PDA

View Full Version : What to get for my tranny rebuild

Jeepinparrothead
01-28-2005, 06:19 PM
Alrght, I found cheap labor for my tranny rebuild so a little help from yall. This is what I would like to know.

1. What torque converter to go with

2. What shift kit and should I get one?
last but certainly not least

3. They are basicaly all the same but who's Cooler should I go with? Six tube ones look to be the way to go. I know that Pep boys sells a decent one or do you think they are cheap.

Trannys are not my area of expertice so help me out a little. I want this tranny to last as long as it can. Oh and by the way, the cost is 700 for a complete rebuild and that was with what ever parts they wanted to use, which whould be the cheapest ones, but still 700 for a tranny rebuild, and he is the chrysler rebuild guy here in town for the dealer. He does it on the side for the local offroad shop.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-31-2005, 01:59 PM
1.) Go with a stock stall converter if your doing anything offroad. A nice billet TC is cool but gets pricey.

2.) I have a transgo shift kit and would highly reccomend it if you can get it dialed in right its a gem.

3.) I bought the standard tranny cooler at Advance. It was like $50 or so and hopefully will keep me from burning up another tranny doing burnouts at the local elementary school. Chicks so dig me.

BTW $700 for a rebuild is DAMN good.

nate
01-31-2005, 03:12 PM
I swear I posted to this somewhere... did you post this on the other board?

Jeepinparrothead
01-31-2005, 04:06 PM
Um.....yeah..... :oops: Nobody was answering there but you, so I put it over here where the more knowledgable people post more. Thanks for you post over on NAGCA though.

Jeepinparrothead
01-31-2005, 04:09 PM
So puma what you are telling me is that I should go with a Stock Torque Converter, or billett if I want to spend the money. Then a Transgo Shift kit, and out of the box store cooler? I think I can handle that. Because I am getting this at such a deal I think I will spend some more on other things like the Billit but I will see. I really appreciate yall's help.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-31-2005, 04:42 PM
APS has a pretty sweet billet torque conv. that i believe is the stock stall. Check www.apsprecision.com for anything you need. The guy that owns the company is very helpful.

BTW might wanna add on a temp gauge so you dont burn anything up. Even though you'll have the tranny cooler when it gets caked with mud and you're going 1 mph it wont be incredibly beneficial. Heat kills like 90% of trannies so watch out.

TrojanMan
02-01-2005, 05:18 PM
APS will build you a custom converter with any stall unless i'm mistaken, I know level10 does. At the very least, I wouldn't go with another stock converter, get the cheapest one level10 makes, its built with heavy duty components so it won't blow like the first one did. http://www.levelten.com/store/chry/packages/jeep_95.htm

I would go with the transgo shift kit, I agree with puma on that one. I also agree with him on the tranny cooler. Good luck.