PDA

View Full Version : Dana 30 and heim joints

Nordic1
01-24-2005, 03:03 AM
Well I bent my 1 ton tie rod ends and I was playing with some ideas of using Heims and creating crossover steering on my wonderful dana 30. I was wondering if anybody knew of a way to create a double shear setup with stock knuckles... rumor has it somebody makes like a highsteer arm (or something like that) that could be welded onto the knuckle to add some support for the heim joint bolts.

Tommy
01-24-2005, 09:46 AM
I used heims on my steering setup. Single sheer. :cry: .

RufftyTuffty
01-24-2005, 10:24 AM
Single shear also...but using 3/4" x 3/4" heims and big ass 3/4" bolts with lock nut....ain't going anywhere.

I don't think there are any upward/downward forces in a TR...just side to side.

Used 3/4T chevy ends for the DL....now upgrading to 1T for the 60.

http://www.photostep.com/images/2/305033440.jpg

~Mike

Tommy
01-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Does that TRE end rub a little when you air down?

Tommy

RufftyTuffty
01-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Does that TRE end rub a little when you air down?

Tommy

Good question....i think the picture distorts the distance.

But saying that...sure does look like there is a score mark on tire :?

The KNUCKLE has been sold to a guy building a 44 locally...i'll let him know about it.

EDIT : CHECKED THE TIRE LAST NIGHT, IT'S ACTUALLY A CONSTRUCTION SEEM (ALL 4 HAVE IT)....I'M GUESSING/REMEMBERING THAT THAT GAP WAS LIKE 2" OR SOMETHING.

~Mike

Cue-Ball
01-25-2005, 06:36 PM
Damn you are the 2nd person recently to bend their 1-ton.

What gives with that??

Nordic1
01-26-2005, 02:24 AM
I bent the pass side where the tie rod meets the drag link.. I'm going to get a moog one and see if that will be stronger.

I'm going to keep my 1 ton steering for now and do heims with a smaller OD piece of DOM....

Lol so nobody has heard of a weld on double shear heim bracket?

Cue-Ball
01-26-2005, 10:59 AM
I think that is the same thing that Chris bent not to long ago.

BigDaveZJ
01-26-2005, 01:04 PM
Quit polishing a Dana turdy and get a real axle. I'm not impressed at all with any of the steering options for the 30, and have seen the 1 ton TRE's bend on several occasions myself.

Cue-Ball
01-26-2005, 01:09 PM
GREAT now you tell me!!!!

forexfour
01-26-2005, 04:38 PM
Here are my thoughts on why the TRE's are bending.

The bolt head for the Track bar lower mount is being hit at full turn lock. With the PSC steering box upgrade and hard turn cranking when stuck and stuff that bolt head is causing the TRE to bend, I can see my new one already doing this.

To fix, the TRE needs more room to clear this bolt head. HOW??? The TRE definatly has to come forward maybe .5" or something like that. Need atleast 3.75" of BS to clear the TRE head as well so it wont rub the tire on full turns.

If you have the over the knuckle setup this may not be the case, mine is under since I did not want to lose my sway bar mount.

I was thinking of talking to Jerod and scratching our heads to see if we can come up with a simple fix.

In the mean time I will just have a spare TRE to throw on if it happens again they are cheap enough.

Chris

Cue-Ball
01-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the info Chris,

I will be going over the knuckle and have an over axle track bar bracket so we will have to work it out when the time comes.

black_zj
02-04-2005, 05:22 PM
not sure if this helps, but the WJ front 30's have a better knuckle design. take a look. I almost bought these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7948977230&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT#ebayphotohosting