PDA

View Full Version : 3-link or Radius arms??

Cue-Ball
01-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Okay as most of you know I am going to be getting the Rock Control long arm set up. The rear is a double triangulated 4 link.

Ty asked me the other day if I wanted to go with a 3 link front or the standard radius arms. I told him I really did not know which would be the better option and that we would figure it out as time got closer.

So since I do not claim to be a suspension geometry expert I will ask the group.

What are the pros/cons of each and what you would guys get if you had the chance?

chadjans
01-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Four link, have him build two long uppers one for each side. If he won't do that run a three link. (Still four link if you count the panhard bar) Radius arms suck.

Cue-Ball
01-22-2005, 11:52 PM
Chad,

What is so wrong with radius arms?

Dirk

OverkillZJ
01-23-2005, 02:04 AM
I'm perfectly happy with my radius arm style setup, but I'd rather have a 4 link setup if I could get it to work ok.

nathan
01-23-2005, 02:05 AM
Yeah, what is wrong with radius arms? Do they keep your vehicle too stable? Or do they just keep your ramp scores down? I have had the stock 4 link up front, 3 link, and now the modified Ford radius arms and the radius arms are by far the most stable. Flex isn't everything. Just get big tires and lockers :D

chadjans
01-23-2005, 03:02 AM
Chad,

What is so wrong with radius arms?

Dirk

they bind. We are not talking ford cast radius arms. We are talking upper mounted to lower arms. Like clayton's and such. Ford arms with a heim flex great. Especially when wristed. Dirk I suggest you run a three link with long lowers and one long upper with panhard or better yet two long uppers and two long lowers and a panhard.
Chad

MaineZJ
01-23-2005, 09:38 AM
seen clayton's radius arm setup pull more than 1000 on a 20degree ramp. doesn't seem like it binds enough to really limit anything

nathan
01-23-2005, 12:05 PM
mine are not wristed and flex fine. how are ford arms different than claytons in function?

gearhead313
01-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Radius arms do bind, its they're nature when cycled. My RE setup works well and is very well road mannered. I "think" the only thing that helps my RE front end work well is the control arm mounts at the belly pan are set slightly inward. If I were to continue driving my jeep everyday as i used to, i'd keep the radius setup. Since now it will be less street driven and more trail riden, im going 4 link. just my thoughts.