PDA

View Full Version : IROKS

matts96zj
01-17-2005, 12:44 PM
ok, I've abandoned the full-width idea... at least for the near future. <flame suit on> I'm getting a D44 for the rear w/a mini-spool, & as much as I'd love to run 34x10.5 LTB's they just seem to be such a small step from a 33x12.5. My next tire coice is the IROK... 'cept it's only available in a 36x13.5... am I a complete idiot for thinking my light footed wheeling habits combined w/a locked HPD30 & mini-spooled D44 could possibly endure this tire for any amount of time? I'd love to see this tire available in a 35, but I just don't see it happening. I know there are other tire coices, but for the terrain I run here in s-eastern PA, & using this as a trail-rig, I would prefer an interco tire.

robselina
01-17-2005, 12:47 PM
I'm getting those tomorrow for the scout. First, they actually measure 36.8", so they're fawkin big for a 36. Second, they're only good for about 10k miles, so they are NOT for street use. Trail only.

And no, your axles will not like you with this big of a tire, 35s max on a D44/D30 combo IMO.

matts96zj
01-17-2005, 12:57 PM
I undestand about the wear issues... it'll be trailered to & from wheelin' trips. As for the tires... WHY THE HELL CAN'T SOMEONE PRODUCE AN AFFORDABLE WELL ROUNDED TIRE IN A 35!?!?!?! I like MTR's, but as everyone complains of, they load up in the mud, although I don't prefer to wheel in mud, it's unavoidable where I wheel, as for BFG's, although I've had zero issues w/my mAll Terrains, I still have heard of way too many sliced sidewalls.

BigDaveZJ
01-17-2005, 01:08 PM
I undestand about the wear issues... it'll be trailered to & from wheelin' trips. As for the tires... WHY THE HELL CAN'T SOMEONE PRODUCE AN AFFORDABLE WELL ROUNDED TIRE IN A 35!?!?!?! I like MTR's, but as everyone complains of, they load up in the mud, although I don't prefer to wheel in mud, it's unavoidable where I wheel, as for BFG's, although I've had zero issues w/my mAll Terrains, I still have heard of way too many sliced sidewalls.

I've been running the BFG Muds for 3 and a half years now in 31's, 32's, and now 33's, and never sliced a sidewall. Popped a bead once, and had some issues with one of my rims sealing against the bead and causing a slow leak, but no major issues.

Jim311
01-17-2005, 01:41 PM

I've been running the BFG Muds for 3 and a half years now in 31's, 32's, and now 33's, and never sliced a sidewall. Popped a bead once, and had some issues with one of my rims sealing against the bead and causing a slow leak, but no major issues.

A friend of mine had an issue with them leaking against the bead this weekend. Which is wierd considering that they have that "lip" that protects the edge of the rim and the bead.

robselina
01-17-2005, 01:50 PM
A friend of mine had an issue with them leaking against the bead this weekend. Which is wierd considering that they have that "lip" that protects the edge of the rim and the bead.

problem I've always had is that rim protector lip also grabs sand and gravel and stuff that work their way into the bead and cause slow leaks.

As for the BFG MTs, I've always liked them and haven't gone through TOO many sidewalls (just a couple). The MTs kinda 'hop' on the rocks we have out here though, that's my only complaint. I consider them to be the best all-round tire available though for a DD/Trail rig. I'll run MTRs next time I buy a set, but I avoid mud at all costs.

BTW - buy them at walmart since they give you a wicked no questions asked warranty (free replacement through first 25% of wear, then pro-rated there after) and of course they price match and offer life time rotation and ballance for free.

Jim311
01-17-2005, 02:34 PM
Hmm... lifetime rotation and balance seems sweet to me. I might try out those BFG MTs when my tires wear out. I like the traction of the tires I've got now, but the tread is a little soft.

matts96zj
01-17-2005, 03:37 PM
I absolutley love the way my AT's work in the rocks believe it or not, but they really suck in the mud. I think I'll go w/the truxxus muds before the BFG's though, I think a siped tire comforms a little better than one that isn't... JMO. I'd still rather go w/a bias ply seein' as it won't see any road use.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-17-2005, 04:06 PM
I've got the BFG a/t's for street and the BFG m/t's for trails and stuff. They both have at least 50% tread left even after almost 2 years. I'll try MT/R's out next in the 35" size so we'll let that be the judge.

LouisianaZJ
01-17-2005, 05:34 PM
im thinkin about the 36" IROKS as well
i wish they came in 35x12.50 or 36"x12.50

i think i could handle them, but i would be pushing the limits
locked D44 with stock shafts
locked D30hp with alloys

robselina
01-17-2005, 06:32 PM

locked D30hp with alloys

XJs are lighter though so depending how you are with the skinny pedal you may be okay....

Cody
01-17-2005, 06:45 PM
why not ssr's?

LouisianaZJ
01-17-2005, 07:32 PM
i heard from alot of people SSR's suck

robselina
01-17-2005, 07:47 PM
SSRs are OK, but I've never really developed any love for 'em....

Jim311
01-17-2005, 09:56 PM
Weak sidewalls and shallow tread depth (compared to the other swampers, that is)

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-17-2005, 10:29 PM

locked D30hp with alloys

can you fit 36's? even w/ extensive trimming, those are gona be some pretty big tires.

msvance
01-17-2005, 10:42 PM
why not go with 35" TRXUS. my buddy got some of the 33's and I really really liked them!

36" Bias and 37" Radial IROKS measure the same diameter at 36.8". They are HUGE!

here's a pic for reference next to my 36" SX's

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/jeepcjzj/ZJ%20build-up/DSC00025.jpg

here's a pic on my zj at 6.5" before trimming

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/jeepcjzj/ZJ%20build-up/DSC00002.jpg

hope that helps.

LouisianaZJ
01-17-2005, 11:34 PM

locked D30hp with alloys

can you fit 36's? even w/ extensive trimming, those are gona be some pretty big tires.
i believe so, it has about 6" lift
http://img76.exs.cx/img76/8828/xjsideswampy.jpg

available trim w/o sturctural cutting and welding
http://img123.exs.cx/img123/8828/xjsideswampy.jpg

badzj999
01-17-2005, 11:52 PM
i think i can answer this question............ it worked for me for a year.

i have been running a stock front d30 and an xj d44 with detroit on 36" tsl radials up until this past christmas break. the d44 imo will handle the 36s with ease because i love the heavy pedal and the d30 held up for a while until the carrier and spider gears decided to explode and now the zj is waiting for full width d60 rear and d44 front and 38s.

zjnick
01-17-2005, 11:53 PM
I second the TrXus... good all around choice and prob the least expensive

OverkillZJ
01-17-2005, 11:57 PM

Decent tire, but man, they wear too much on the road for how much they cost.

Jim311
01-18-2005, 02:32 AM

Decent tire, but man, they wear too much on the road for how much they cost.

I bought mine for 125 a tire. Cheaper than BFGs by at least 25 bucks apiece.

Jim311
01-18-2005, 02:33 AM
Now that I look at it, prices went up since I bought mine. They're 130 per tire. Still dirt cheap IMO.

OverkillZJ
01-18-2005, 02:43 AM
Now that I look at it, prices went up since I bought mine. They're 130 per tire. Still dirt cheap IMO.

Nevermind then, I've been misinformed.

But I still don't like them ;)

nate
01-18-2005, 10:49 AM
This is a good thread, as I'm at the same point as well. I would like to see the 35x12.5 in a TSL or IROK.

A few guys are running the IROK here and they are working very good for both the trail and road. Just they are BIG. 36", but really almost a 37!

The SSRs seem to be a decent tire. I am thinking of running them. They are between a BFG M/T and a TSL in terms of performance from what I've been told. Sidewall is thinner because it's a radial, but it's still thicker than most M/Ts. Tread is 21/32, same as the IROK. Nice thing is they are a decent road tire as well. Bad thing is they are way expensive.

edit: fixed the drunken posting typos.... :lol:

OverkillZJ
01-18-2005, 11:11 AM
This is a good thread, as I'm at the same point as well. I would be real happy to a 35x12.5 in a TSL or IROK.

The SSRs seem to be a decent tire. I am thinking of running them. They are between a BFG M/T and a TSL in terms of performance from what I've been told. Sidewall is thinner because it's a radial, but it's still thicker than most radials. Tread is 21/32, same as the IROK. Nice thing is they are a decent road tire I've been told. Bad thing is they are way expensive.

Way expensive, decent on road, great traction off road... but the sidwalls SUCK. I tore through 3 in one day, that set of 5's in the trash now. I had to buy new A/T's temporarily just to drive the thing home.

RufftyTuffty
01-18-2005, 11:29 AM
The 30 wont last....

RufftyTuffty
01-18-2005, 11:35 AM
This is a good thread, as I'm at the same point as well. I would be real happy to a 35x12.5 in a TSL or IROK.

The SSRs seem to be a decent tire. I am thinking of running them. They are between a BFG M/T and a TSL in terms of performance from what I've been told. Sidewall is thinner because it's a radial, but it's still thicker than most radials. Tread is 21/32, same as the IROK. Nice thing is they are a decent road tire I've been told. Bad thing is they are way expensive.

SSR are a show truck tire IMHO...dont do it dude....if your going to choice the Intero path...the regular TSL is a great tire.

I'm running SX's now but not long enough to comment....but they certainly seem hook up well here in AZ admittitly this is with beadlocks and 9 psi ;)

~Mike

Jim311
01-18-2005, 12:29 PM
I used to run SXs. Awesome off road but crap anywhere else. Mine weren't even round from the factory, and came with like 8-10 ounces of weight on each tire :mad:

nate
01-18-2005, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't go as far as saying show tire, I'd say the STS and Thornbirds fall in that spot.

I put around 6-7,000 mile on the Jeep a year. I know what Swampers ride like and with road use they aren't a long lasting tire. I was looking at the SSRs as kinda the happy medium between an M/T and a TSL. Plus, they are the only 35x12.5 with some decent tread.

Agreed they are stupid spendy.

Here is my reasoning to consider them.... I was looking at the SSRs being a year round tire, where with TSLs I would run some winter tires as well.... so I'd actually be saving $$.
Thinking about it though, I don't really use the Jeep as a DD in the winter anyway... so I guess it's a moot point.

I have to say it will be close to fit a 35 even with trimming and moving the axles. I mounted a 35" Claw (34" actual) and it fit, but it was close.

I'm going to find a Q78 and see how that fits. Being a bit on the narrow side should help with fitment. Why the fawk can't Interco make a freaking 35x12.5 in a normal tire?

msvance
01-18-2005, 02:45 PM
Interco called them SSR's for a reason - Super Slick Radials! They really slick up in the mud and the sidewalls suck bad. Also, one of my friends had them on his Full Size Bronco and had one explode on the highway and another a year later develop a serious "bubble" on the sidewall as well. I'm scared of SSR's and just don't like them. Again, for a 35" DD offroad tire, I personally think the TRXUS is worth a shot. I probably would have gotten them if they made them in 37's, but they don't, and I really love the IROKS!!

matts96zj
01-18-2005, 04:36 PM
wow, I didn't expect this much response... thank all of you for your valuable knowledge. I'm still planning on the HPD30/D44 combo w/IROKS... if it breaks, I upgrade, simple as that. This place is soooo much more useful than NAGCA!!!

LouisianaZJ
01-18-2005, 06:05 PM
is a 35x12.50 TRXUS bigger + thicker than a BFG MT?

nate
01-18-2005, 06:28 PM
There is one guy here that runs the SSRs on his Ranger. He says they work pretty good in the mud. Not as good as the TSLs he ran before though. He puts alot of miles on his truck driving from Fairbanks to Anchorage (around 6hr drive) and loves them compares to the TSLs.

BFGs...

http://98jeepzj.com/photos/images/131-2.jpg

Interco called them SSR's for a reason - Super Slick Radials! They really slick up in the mud and the sidewalls suck bad. Also, one of my friends had them on his Full Size Bronco and had one explode on the highway and another a year later develop a serious "bubble" on the sidewall as well. I'm scared of SSR's and just don't like them. Again, for a 35" DD offroad tire, I personally think the TRXUS is worth a shot. I probably would have gotten them if they made them in 37's, but they don't, and I really love the IROKS!![

robselina
01-18-2005, 06:56 PM
It's interesting to see the preferences depending on location. Out here we've got rocks mostly. Favorite tires are typically MTRs, though I'm really fond of the Mickey Thompson Baja Claws (bias plys). Interco, except for the IROK, really isn't popular out here. It's curious to see things like the Intercos so polular depending on region, since obviously most of us out here in the west are oblivious to mud performance...

SLO MO
01-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Just to add some fuel to the fire. Interco is making a 37" TRXS M/T that is supposed to be available by late summer or fall.
Heard the rumor on Pirate a couple of months ago and my brother just confirmed that for me last week.
I'm really undecided about tires. I was on the IROK bandwagon but my brother said his 37" radials wore more in 6 months than his 35" SSRs did in 18 months.
I'd probably buy the TRXS but I will need tires before GSW.

phillyzj
01-19-2005, 01:56 AM
Just to add some fuel to the fire. Interco is making a 37" TRXS M/T that is supposed to be available by late summer or fall.
Heard the rumor on Pirate a couple of months ago and my brother just confirmed that for me last week.
I'm really undecided about tires. I was on the IROK bandwagon but my brother said his 37" radials wore more in 6 months than his 35" SSRs did in 18 months.
I'd probably buy the TRXS but I will need tires before GSW.

are they gonna be for a 15" rim? or 17" like the bfg's and mtr's?

gearhead313
01-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Doesn't anyone know they make 33" IROK's? huh...

I think the location has EVERYTHING to do about it. I'll argue with people all day long about how MTR's stuck and SX's and Iroks rule the land. But u have to understand, i'll be arguing with a left coast person.

For up in PA here, its going to be muddy and wet no matter what. MTR's aren't going to cut it. There has to be about 4-5 people in our club now that have switched to Iroks and absolutely love them, one guy from SSR's i know for sure and another from boggers.

Granted, if i lived out west more, i'd ditch my 39.5" Iroks and go with something different, but around here, its a great tire for what we have to encounter.

Go with Iroks, you wont be disapointed.

robselina
01-19-2005, 05:54 PM
that's another thing that varies too I noticed, SIZE. You guys out east can run bigger tires relative to your axles than we can in our high traction environment...

SLO MO
01-19-2005, 08:55 PM
are they gonna be for a 15" rim? or 17" like the bfg's and mtr's?

Forgot to ask, I will try to find out. Interco seems pretty good with rims sizes. Not like TOYO.

Jim311
01-20-2005, 01:01 AM
that's another thing that varies too I noticed, SIZE. You guys out east can run bigger tires relative to your axles than we can in our high traction environment...

There are people on both coasts who can break anything with any tire size :lol:

nate
01-20-2005, 07:17 AM
Yeah AK is pretty good axle wise. Alot of guys run 36 TSL or SXs on the D30 without much trouble. One guy is running 38TSLs on his. Help up fine this past season.

deadman
01-20-2005, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I broke a r&p in my LPD30 with 31ATs in the mud... :evil:
Stock axles suck!

gearhead313
01-21-2005, 11:46 AM
There is one YJ in erie, pa that runs 38.5" sx's on a stock front d30. He's been doing it for a long time now with no trouble.

but then, friend of mine on 31's and a BB scatters front axles shafts..go figure.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-22-2005, 02:31 AM
Stock axles suck!

ya might have it a little backwards there. stock axles dont suck as much as "muddin" with stock axles suck. :lol:

Jim311
01-22-2005, 02:38 PM
Stock axles suck!

ya might have it a little backwards there. stock axles dont suck as much as "muddin" with stock axles suck. :lol:

I'm sure there's no mud on YOUR rig :lol: