PDA

View Full Version : Steering Problem

XLSLC
01-16-2005, 10:45 PM
Background, I've got a '95 ZJ 3.5" lifted. SO... driving down Berthoud Pass (on US 40 in Colorado, pretty gnarly at some spots), coming around a switchback, my steering goes. I pull over and discover that my track bar has completely disconnected itself from the front axle. Lucky I didn't f**king die on the highway. Anyway, got a mountain man to hook me up with a little bolt to tide me over until I got back to Boulder. Now I have replaced the bolt and the track bar is fine, but whenever I make a right turn the steering wheel doesn't engage the wheels until it's at about 45-60 degrees to the right. There is also a wierd feeling, like something is slipping over something else in that gap between the wheel being straight and to the right. I know that's not very descriptive but I figure if you've had this problem then you will know what I'm talking about.

If anyone has any ideas that would be sweet.

LouisianaZJ
01-16-2005, 11:19 PM
what t-bar do you have?

replace the bolt with a grade 8 and lockwasher if the new bolt is not already grade 8

make sure the both the axle and frame bolts are hella tight, like at least 60 ft lbs. and check the bushings
a very small amount of play (like just 1mm) in the t-bar can make the steering very, very loose

it is possible the force of the t-bar giving could have compromised the bolts that hold the steering gear on to the frame, or messed up a tre

robselina
01-16-2005, 11:54 PM
post some pics. Mine had tre's all around, so no bolts.....

XLSLC
01-17-2005, 01:08 AM
Stock t-bar with a new hole drilled in the same bracket, not sure what a tre is. I'll work on some pics tomorrow.

JpRngr
01-17-2005, 01:36 AM
TRE=Tie Rod End

I would check everything especially your steering box for looseness. Wouldn't be surprised if your mishap loosened it from the frame.

Corey

Troy
01-17-2005, 09:07 AM
Check to make sure that the axle side hole is not rounded out - does the bolt fit in securely with no play?

XLSLC
01-17-2005, 09:33 PM
The axle side hole IS rounded out a bit and there is potential for play. I have it tightened very tight but I guess that could be it... makes sense.