PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable Ball Joints for Caster

DND
01-16-2005, 08:00 PM
Time for new Ball Joints (HP30) and I'm considering Adjustable/Offset to gain back a bit of caster and hoping to loose that wander on the highway. I'm only looking for a couple of degrees, therefore thinking uppers only? With only one balljoint offset, will this cause any problems with the axleshafts/carrier? With the upper knuckle mount effectively moved back a bit the axleshaft is no longer in perfect alignment with the diff carrier. Does anyone see a problem here or am I just being paranoid? Reason I'm considering adjustable uppers only is $$ driven, they're stupid expensive up here compared to standard units.

Thanks,
Dave

Cue-Ball
01-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Hey there Dave, long time no talk.

I have gone around and around on what ball joints to get for my HP30 and everyone seems to say just get stock ones. I have even talked with Clayton and he sees no reason to move away from stock ones.

Just what I have heard is all, I still have not yet ordered anything, I was looking at adjustables for the lowers I think and stock uppers or maybe it was the other way around. They only make adjustables for one and offsets for the other.

Right now I am thinking of just going with MOOG stock replacements and call it done.

Dirk

DND
01-16-2005, 08:21 PM
Hey Dirk, it has been a while, how are things?

Yeah I've been chasing this idea for a bit and figured the 2 degree offset uppers were worth considering as long they wouldn't cause any issues when installed with standard lowers.

Best read on the subject I've found so far is on MAdXJ.com but he did both set offset/adjustable.

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARadjustableBallJoints/adjustableballjoints.htm

I guess I could try it and if I ruin the axle or carrier I'd have an excuse to upgrade :lol:

Cheers,
Dave

Cue-Ball
01-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Since my HP30 is still a stripped housing I will wait for you to be the test subject (just in case anything goes wrong :lol: ).

Things are moving along really really slow. You can check out the status in the Jeep journals section under "Project Money Pit".

DND
01-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Gee, thanks for that vote of confidence.

I know what you mean about the pace of things. This thing would have been finished long ago if I'd been born rich instead of good looking. :lol:

I should probably start one of those build up threads on my pile. Just need to figure out pic posting from a host site that's Mac compatible. Off to the test section I guess.

Oh well, hopefully someone here with some drivetrain angle knowledge will share some wisdom.