PDA

View Full Version : HELP! D30 crosspin removal

robselina
01-10-2005, 10:58 PM
trying to remove the crosspin on the D30 in my 95 ZJ to install a lunchbox locker and it doesn't have a retaining bolt. It's something else and I have no idea how to remove it.

Take a look at this:

http://www.nmt.edu/~rselina/diff1.JPG

http://www.nmt.edu/~rselina/diff2.JPG

Ideas?

LouisianaZJ
01-10-2005, 11:10 PM
it is pinned in place

robselina
01-10-2005, 11:22 PM
yea, appears to be a hollow pin of sorts, but I can only make it move like 0.5", then it gets hung up. I've been trying to smack it with an alan wrench....

LouisianaZJ
01-10-2005, 11:25 PM
yeah it is a roll pin. should be able to smack it out. did you try it from the other direction?

robselina
01-10-2005, 11:27 PM
both dirrections. From the side its visible it moves down 0.5", from the ring gear bolt side it seems to get caught on a lip where it's visible in the pic. I'm tempted to take a drill and remove the lip.

OverkillZJ
01-10-2005, 11:34 PM
Only goes out one direction, the hole's tapered.

This reminds me of poor Chadjans at GSW while he drilled his out in the parking lot :lol:

chadjans
01-10-2005, 11:50 PM

This reminds me of poor Chadjans at GSW while he drilled his out in the parking lot :lol:

I now carry a few number one easy outs with me because of this. Easy outs....

Chad

robselina
01-11-2005, 02:04 AM
I drilled out the stupid lip that was on the center of the carrier side and it came right out. I think when it was punched in orginally they gummed up that side a bit. Anyway, it's out and I got the locker in. Also installed new axle shafts with 760x u-joints while I was at it (no more crummy CV joints to break). Haven't tested it offroad yet but it's fine on the street, just a little noise in tight turns...

gearhead313
01-11-2005, 10:42 AM

:shock: :shock: :shock:

all u need is the right size dowel driver and it comes right out...come on people.

Pearce
01-11-2005, 01:20 PM
all u need is the right size dowel driver and it comes right out...come on people.

You were not there, :lol: :lol: :lol:
But yeah normally thats all it should take.

at least I dont remember ya there. :?

gearhead313
01-11-2005, 03:41 PM

You were not there, :lol: :lol: :lol:
But yeah normally thats all it should take.

at least I dont remember ya there. :?

i wasn't....but im sure i would have wanted to be there! Im all about random shit breaking with a side of trail repair.

OverkillZJ
01-11-2005, 06:39 PM

:shock: :shock: :shock:

That's what I thought at first.... I was wrong :lol: