PDA

View Full Version : 8.8 guys...let me see your shock mounts

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-10-2005, 08:30 PM
well i dont like the crappy bracket that the d35 uses for a shock mount and would like to do something different to mount the shocks on my 8.8. What has everyone else done about mounting the shocks? A guy in boone (mountaineermac on JU) has an XJ on full-widths with one simple protruding stud/bolt that the shock bushing fits snugly over and gets tightened by a matching nut. Just looking for any ideas. thanks.

LouisianaZJ
01-10-2005, 10:37 PM
well, you cant use the stud since shocks are supposed to work with the bushings parallel to each other

if you just get like 4 shock tabs from BTF and mount them wherever you want. but it you relocate them much higher, you will have to buy smaller shocks

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-11-2005, 12:24 AM
the shocks i have now are fairly new. was thinking of mounting them higher on the axle by about 2" since I recently added a 2" bb to my suspension. Why do the shock bushings hafta be parallel to each other? Seems there would be no decrease in dampening by rotating the rod 1/4 of a turn...

robselina
01-11-2005, 02:15 AM
the shocks i have now are fairly new. was thinking of mounting them higher on the axle by about 2" since I recently added a 2" bb to my suspension. Why do the shock bushings hafta be parallel to each other? Seems there would be no decrease in dampening by rotating the rod 1/4 of a turn...

they work, it's just that you fawk up bushings if they're not parallel.

Nordic1
01-11-2005, 03:02 AM
I'm going to be running these after I get my accos on
http://www.kevinsjeepparts.com/images/jksproducts/fab%20parts/jks922.jpg

LouisianaZJ
01-11-2005, 03:52 AM
go ahead and do it. but you might be busting more shocks and bushings than normal. dont really see what you will be gaining by running them like that as opposed to the two tabs
just look at how much more stress you are going to be putting on the bottom shock eye when the suspension cycles

gearhead313
01-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Be afraid, this actually worked.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/gearhead313/zj%20pics/DSC01032.jpg

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-11-2005, 11:55 AM
I'm thinking of just making new shock/control arm mounts out of 1/4" to make them stronger than stock. But what i wanna know, is there any disadvantage to making my own brackets (also using spring perches from d35) and having them welded on there as opposed to buying the TJ axle bracket kit.

All the shops around here are telling me I will never be able to get my angles straight if I use stock perches. I know how to set the pinion to 11*, if I line up my CA mounts the same position as on the D35 won't I be ok?

nathaniel
01-11-2005, 12:03 PM
I'm thinking of just making new shock/control arm mounts out of 1/4" to make them stronger than stock. But what i wanna know, is there any disadvantage to making my own brackets (also using spring perches from d35) and having them welded on there as opposed to buying the TJ axle bracket kit.

All the shops around here are telling me I will never be able to get my angles straight if I use stock perches. I know how to set the pinion to 11*, if I line up my CA mounts the same position as on the D35 won't I be ok?

The tj axle bracket kits are worthless imo because 3/4 of the kit wont work on a zj. The MORE kit spring mounts need a lot of work use for zj. The upper control arm/trackbar mounts wont work at all. the swaybar mounts wont work. The shock mounts are angled in too far. making the only good thing in the kit the lower control arm mounts. Reuse your old brackets off the 35 at least the spring perches. the spring perches are the easiest thing to setup. rotate pinion to angle wanted set perch on top and set it to 0 degrees.

gearhead313
01-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Reuse your old brackets off the 35 at least the spring perches. the spring perches are the easiest thing to setup. rotate pinion to angle wanted set perch on top and set it to 0 degrees.

Nordic1
01-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Most of MORE's kit is junk... you could use their LCAs... and thats about it. IMO re-use your spring perches and then cut 1/4" brackets for everything else.

OverkillZJ
01-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Shocks are for pussies, get some coilovers and be done with it you bitches.

Ok, I'm in a bad mood.

but... I feel better now!

Thank you for taking the time to be my personal punching bag.

chadjans
01-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Chase: you going to triangulate your shocks?

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-12-2005, 01:05 AM

maybe then he'll stop ripping them apart in parking lots :lol:

Nordic1
01-12-2005, 02:13 AM

At some point yea... that or do some crazy shouck mount locations with some 14" shocks

Raacerx
01-13-2005, 12:49 AM
http://www.fototime.com/{5032542E-76E4-41F1-9D15-F8178BFC1337}/picture.JPG

My mounts are sort of intended for triangulated shocks but Ive had no problems using them in the stock locations. I copied Claytons system, similar to the pic Chase shoed. Its just some 2"x2" tube with a piece of plate as a cap and a Grade 8 bolt welded through. However in hindsight, my biggest mistake was not making the bolt long enough so I could use it with my limit straps (not enough clearence right now).

PS. Considering the axle doesnt rotate or roll forward or backward all that much as it cycles through the suspension, it would seem to me that the shocks would last much longer using mounts like mine because there isn't nearly as much force acting against the bushings (when compared to a stock setup). Obviously this is more prevalent when triangulating but it still seems to apply to my setup as well, which this picture demonstrates.

http://www.fototime.com/{8795307A-B5E0-4C3F-99BF-F4508B7F12B1}/picture.JPG

chadjans
01-13-2005, 02:19 AM
FYI clayton's bolt brackets are made to use a triangulated shock setup.

Chad

Raacerx
01-15-2005, 12:56 AM
FYI clayton's bolt brackets are made to use a triangulated shock setup.

Chad

FYI I already said that. :oops:

My mounts are sort of intended for triangulated shocks but Ive had no problems using them in the stock locations

nate
01-16-2005, 08:10 AM
What would be bad about monting the shocks in the stock position, but using a bracket like Claytons?

I was thinking they would cause less bind because the shock can rotate in 2 planes.