PDA

View Full Version : Fellow turds, I am looking for design ideas for some rockers

Jim311
01-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Today I'm getting a 24 foot stick of 2x2 steel delivered. I got it for 80 bucks. Now I'm looking for design ideas on how to make some rocker guards. Any pictures, diagrams, etc, would be appreciated.

So far it's just going to be something basic unless I can figure out something that would be better.

I____I____I

OverkillZJ
01-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Cutting out the rockers to put the box up in there?

LouisianaZJ
01-08-2005, 04:04 PM
kevins

you are also going to need some 2x1 and 3/16 or 1/4"

Jim311
01-08-2005, 04:18 PM
kevins

you are also going to need some 2x1 and 3/16 or 1/4"

Picked up some steel plate today. It's 3 inches wide and 3/16ths thick. I'm going to weld a couple pieces together and form a square bracket which I'll mount to the frame rail. I looked at Kevin's design, but I don't have the rectangular 2 x 4 steel or whatever his uses. All I've got is the 2 inch square tube.

LouisianaZJ
01-08-2005, 04:36 PM
the 2" should work fine

my rockers on the xj are all 2"x2"

if need be you could always double it up to make 2"x4" but thats alot of welding

MaineZJ
01-08-2005, 05:52 PM
you don't have to fully weld it to make 2x4 - just some nice stitch welds

cut out rockers
weld up some 2x4
weld in place of rockers
cut off what hangs below.

Jim311
01-08-2005, 06:30 PM
I don't want to cut off my rockers. Just want something similar to Kevin's but I wondered if anyone else had made anything with 2x2 or pehaps had some pictures of their home made ones. So far I've made some 90 degree brackets to fit over the frame rail, one of which I'm going to tie in to the stock crossmember bolts. Is it advisable to use self tapping bolts for this application? Or should I just run a bolt straight through the frame rail?

BMRisko
01-08-2005, 09:06 PM
I don't want to cut off my rockers. Just want something similar to Kevin's but I wondered if anyone else had made anything with 2x2 or pehaps had some pictures of their home made ones. So far I've made some 90 degree brackets to fit over the frame rail, one of which I'm going to tie in to the stock crossmember bolts. Is it advisable to use self tapping bolts for this application? Or should I just run a bolt straight through the frame rail?

Just weld them on. :D

Jim311
01-09-2005, 01:26 AM

Just weld them on. :D

This would definitely be the easiest route to go with. But I'm afraid that in the future I might be putting on some long arms, and I'm thinking it might be a bitch to remove these if I weld them on. I think I'm going to go with the Rubicon Express longarm kit, if that helps clarify. Dunno though... if it's not going to be too much effort then I'll just weld them on the "frame" rail.

MaineZJ
01-09-2005, 11:53 AM
cutting out the rockers and welding in some square tube, doesn't effect the suspension in any way

Jim311
01-09-2005, 12:17 PM
It does when you're trying to install an aftermarket suspension in the future. IE: belly skids that bolt to frame rail. I know the RE skid I'm going to use utilizes a fully belly skid on both the front and rear.

LouisianaZJ
01-09-2005, 01:02 PM
It does when you're trying to install an aftermarket suspension in the future. IE: belly skids that bolt to frame rail. I know the RE skid I'm going to use utilizes a fully belly skid on both the front and rear.
read much?
cutting out the rockers and welding in some square tube, doesn't effect the suspension in any way

Jim311
01-09-2005, 01:16 PM
read much?

Regardless, I'm not cutting out my rockers. I've cut enough shit off already.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-09-2005, 01:40 PM
find some DOM tubing somewhere, (got mine at a furniture factory for next to nothing) and make some ORGS type sliders. check mine, made them for less than $80. 2x2 and the DOM and welded the brackets onto the unibody. Yes ugly welds but they've held up.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2747635093

MaineZJ
01-09-2005, 03:44 PM
http://www.akextreme4x4.com/tech/rocker/rockerpanelreplacement.htm

enlighten me- how do those effect syspension systems

OverkillZJ
01-09-2005, 04:26 PM

I was wondering too...

gearhead313
01-09-2005, 06:03 PM

I was wondering too...

its for when you have a ghey binding suspension and roll over, its supposed to help.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-10-2005, 02:49 AM
i really like the idea of cutout rockers also but like you said in your writeup that mod isn't for the faint of heart when it comes to hacking up a perfectly good rocker panel. girls at the mall might think it looks bad. :twisted:

Jim311
01-10-2005, 07:26 AM
find some DOM tubing somewhere, (got mine at a furniture factory for next to nothing) and make some ORGS type sliders. check mine, made them for less than $80. 2x2 and the DOM and welded the brackets onto the unibody. Yes ugly welds but they've held up.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2747635093

From the pic I saw it looks like your rocker protection doesn't run all the way to the back, only to the middle of the rear door :?:

I'm going to notch my pinch seam and use the 2 inch tube to tie into the 90 degree angle brackets I've made. Should work out pretty well. I'm going to lose a small amount of ground clearance, but I've got PLENTY of shit that hangs much lower on my rig than my rockers. Regardless, those sliders you've got look pretty cool.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-10-2005, 11:50 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid144/pd0896e5992efe997c9a2a1a74a0d2d16/f67dac5a.jpg

it does hang about 2-3" before the end of my rocker panel. Since I plan on significantly trimming to fit the bigger tires I wanted the sliders to be one less thing I have to worry about. As far as ground clearance, the tcase skid hangs lower than the sliders.

gearhead313
01-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Looks nice... one thing i would do is sink some 3/16"'s between the openings created from the hoop and spreaders. Lay it flush and weld it solid. It'll help from trees and rocks from getting caught up in there, so then they would slide right over.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Looks nice... one thing i would do is sink some 3/16"'s between the openings created from the hoop and spreaders. Lay it flush and weld it solid. It'll help from trees and rocks from getting caught up in there, so then they would slide right over.

yea i actually considered that but the way it is now, the hoop hangs farther out than the middle pieces and does a nice job sliding over stuff as is.

POSJEEP
01-11-2005, 12:26 PM
this is what i did but would have liked to extend it past the body
http://img149.exs.cx/img149/2664/thanksgiving0204tz.jpg
i cut the pinch weld in two spots to keep it up close to the body then back to plates on the frame.
just my two cents. im about to cut out the rockers and weld some in place, this is an after thought on project already completed doing it right the first time makes time for other projects :roll: those on the board already suggested this i would use the steel you bought for something eles gain ground clearence don't lose it!

Jim311
01-11-2005, 01:27 PM
I won't really be gaining but so much anyway, especially considering that the frame rail amongst other things hangs down just as low. I'm definitely not going to be cutting out my rockers, that's for sure. The ones in the link I saw look like shit IMO. I'm going to notch the pinch seam a bit to bring the rails up flush with the frame rail.

ATL ZJ
01-11-2005, 02:05 PM
I won't really be gaining but so much anyway, especially considering that the frame rail amongst other things hangs down just as low.

Yes but you shouldn't need to worry about landing on the framerail as much because your lowers should function as skids, and if you do it right, you can have a skid/ x-member tucked in between so that you cannot possibly land on your framerail.

...Anyway, it sounds like you will be happier doing "normal" style sliders instead.

Jim311
01-11-2005, 02:28 PM
I won't really be gaining but so much anyway, especially considering that the frame rail amongst other things hangs down just as low.

Yes but you shouldn't need to worry about landing on the framerail as much because your lowers should function as skids, and if you do it right, you can have a skid/ x-member tucked in between so that you cannot possibly land on your framerail.

...Anyway, it sounds like you will be happier doing "normal" style sliders instead.

Yup :D

They're almost finished now. I just have to figure out what to do about the pinch seam. I might end up notching it some, not sure yet.

POSJEEP
01-11-2005, 02:46 PM
When you install the slides you might want to turn the two lower front fender boltz around just in case you have fender damage, i found out the hard way :shock:

MaineZJ
01-11-2005, 02:50 PM
yup, the unibody rails and crossmember hang down so low, how could you possibly hit the rockers.... :flipoff:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/192152847/192378992sPwdFM

I want as much clearance as I can get. 2" is 2"
just need it to be warmer so I can properly deal with rust before I cut em out.

POSJEEP
01-11-2005, 03:00 PM
i know the rails hang down lower, i have found myself hung up on my slides though.
im going up 3 more inches but im also cutting out the rockers.
its for places like this i want the rocker clearence.
http://www.fototime.com/{036B16DE-67C5-4E61-8C8A-86BD6E60900E}/picture.JPG
http://image20.webshots.com/21/5/78/47/192157847oPEUgX_ph.jpg
http://image20.webshots.com/21/5/57/98/192155798QiQHVN_ph.jpg

Jim311
01-11-2005, 10:36 PM
When you install the slides you might want to turn the two lower front fender boltz around just in case you have fender damage, i found out the hard way :shock:

I'm confused.... pics?

MaineZJ
01-11-2005, 10:40 PM
look at the lower end of the front fenders, there is a bolt on each side going into the pinch weld

Jim311
01-23-2005, 01:44 PM
Here's how they turned out

http://www.jeepcrew.com/gallery/albums/album25/sliders_finished1.jpg

Lost a small amount of clearance, but there's still plenty of shit that hangs lower than my rockers.

MaineZJ
01-23-2005, 02:01 PM
hope there is something on the back side of the rocker panel to help support that.
IMHO, sticks out too far, but if it works for ya - great

OverkillZJ
01-23-2005, 02:02 PM
Holy far-sticking-out rocker gaurds batman!

chopshop
01-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Going jousting?
:shock:

thay protect the doors from leaning on trees, they don't protect a rock from poking the rockers from underneath. and the supports back to the frame are too close together.

Jim311
01-23-2005, 07:45 PM
hope there is something on the back side of the rocker panel to help support that.

Like the pinch seam? I realize it doesn't protect the rockers very well, so I'm thinking about putting some 3/16ths plate under neath it to help support things.

robselina
01-23-2005, 08:59 PM

Like the pinch seam? I realize it doesn't protect the rockers very well, so I'm thinking about putting some 3/16ths plate under neath it to help support things.

wait, that thing is only held on to the pinch seam? post some more pics showing your mounting and stuff....

Jim311
01-23-2005, 09:38 PM

wait, that thing is only held on to the pinch seam? post some more pics showing your mounting and stuff....

No. It uses a 90 degree angle bracket which bolts to the frame rail. It uses the pinch weld for extra support. It's almost exactly like Kevin's sliders in terms of how it mounts to the frame rail. That's how I got the idea to use the crossmember to mount the bracket to.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-23-2005, 11:49 PM
interesting design...

NOW DO IT OVER! :lol:

Jim311
01-24-2005, 12:10 AM
interesting design...

Who invited you over here! Go buy some off the shelf shit like everybody else and stop dissing my noob fabrication skills! :mad:

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-24-2005, 12:16 AM
interesting design...

Who invited you over here! Go buy some off the shelf shit like everybody else and stop dissing my noob fabrication skills! :mad:

:mad: just razzin ya jimmy. I think they look ok and would steer you clear of most rocks if you have some 1/2 way decent driving skills.

Oh and as for that "off the shelf" comment, I made my own sliders bish!
http://streetracer.org/images/flipoff2.jpg

:lol:

Jim311
01-24-2005, 12:19 AM
We seriously need a "Flipoff" smilie around here :D

OverkillZJ
01-24-2005, 02:04 AM
We seriously need a "Flipoff" smilie around here :D

I know, but I'm a lazy sun of a bitch, didn't you get the memo?

no?

THAT'S RIGHT, I WAS TOO LAZY TO SEND IT!

LouisianaZJ
01-24-2005, 02:17 AM
pointless....

cut out the shit in the middle and put another lenght of 2x2 right under the rocker

LouisianaZJ
01-24-2005, 02:23 AM
somethin like this
http://img189.exs.cx/img189/2282/amp_1687.jpg

Jim311
01-24-2005, 08:39 AM
That's the plan. I bought 20 fucking feet of 2x2 thinking it would be enough. It was 80 bucks for one stick.. now I have to find another :mad: but I can't get it for the 80 dollar price. It's going to be more like 120.