PDA

View Full Version : driveline vs. axle noise ??

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Well for the last couple months I have noticed a whirring or moaning sound coming from my rear POS d35. I never really was worried about it because I'm putting in the 8.8 pretty soon anyway. But my question is how could I distinguish noise from somewhere in the driveline as opposed to a rear bearing or bad pinion, etc.? It only makes noise when I am pressing on the gas. Downhills when I'm coasting it makes noise but soon as i gas it again, it starts the howling. Good thing I posted this in Newb tech bc I'm lost. :roll:

nate
01-12-2005, 11:25 AM
My 8.8 does the same... crappy gearset.

Pull the rear driveshaft and run in front wheel drive. See if it does it then.

metalman0286
01-13-2005, 10:11 AM
my d35 makes more of a humming sound when on the gas. was told that the cap for the diff fluid popped out on a turn leaked fluid and eventually wore a diffrent pattern. as far as that being correct who knows. but it was by a friend whos a master mechanic at my local chevrolet

MaineZJ
01-13-2005, 10:16 AM
don't all the ZJ's 35s have stupid rubber plugs...

try the pulling of the rear shaft (unless you have a 249)

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-13-2005, 11:45 AM
don't all the ZJ's 35s have stupid rubber plugs...

try the pulling of the rear shaft (unless you have a 249)

yea those things are a PITA to get out w/ a screwdriver much less just fall out. you bout have to take the cover off and pop it out from the other side to get it out.

I'm not gonna worry about pulling the shaft (heh heh) because am starting on the 8.8 monday. :D