PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a ZJ or WJ?

longboy
01-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Hey all, i'm shopping for a DD to replace the CJ7. I'm looking at Grands, and wondering what to look for, and what to stay away from.

I'm open to 4.0 or V8, as this won't be towing anything, most likely. Any years i should avoid? any xfer cases to avoid? do the 4.0s have exhaust manifold cracking problems like other 4.0s?

do the 4.0s have enough pep for a Grand? i had one in my XJ and it was decent, but didn't know about the extra weight and size of a Grand.

tell me your thoughts-
TIA
-austin

BigDaveZJ
01-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Get off my site fawker!!!!! :D

I would recommend a 96-98 V8. Yeah, they have the shitty AL44 and 249 case, but you'll be very disappointed in the 4.0 up in the mountains. My ZJ has the V8, and still have no problems flying up mountain passes. As long as the viscous coupler is good to go in the t-case and the rear axle doesn't whine too much, you should be set.

longboy
01-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Get off my site fawker!!!!! :D

fine, delete my profile, fawker :D

anyway, what V8 options were there? 4.7? 5.9 in '98s? i think i recall hearing about cooling problems on some V8s, is that true?

which xfer cases have a true 4wd? i'm fine with full-time 4wd, but i'd like to be able to use 4Hi and 4Lo if needed.

whatcha think about these:
link (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=169910976&dealer_id=66740&car_year= 1998&search_type=used&make=JEEP&model=JEEPGRAND&tr ansmission=&distance=25&address=80501&only_price=1 &advanced=y&max_mileage=&max_price=10000&min_price =0&first_record=1&end_year=20)

link (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=175095634&dealer_id=52812878&car_ye ar=1998&search_type=used&make=JEEP&model=JEEPGRAND &transmission=&distance=25&address=80501&only_pric e=1&advanced=y&max_mileage=&max_price=10000&min_pr ice=0&first_record=1&end_year)

i'd love a V8, but i may not like it mileage-wise :shock:

edited so the links aren't huge

LouisianaZJ
01-04-2005, 01:59 PM
i love the turds whew say id like a v8 but gas is going to me soooo much more. really the diff mpg is going to be like 2 b/c you have to floor the 4.0 to get it going

get a 96-98 ZJ V8 and swap in a new t-case and rear end

wj v8s had the cooling problems with aftermarket bumpers

both those crap wagons posted are way overpriced. I would not pay over 6k for a ZJ

robselina
01-04-2005, 02:01 PM
actually, most guys with 5.2L rigs I know get better mileage than the 4.0s. That's modified though granted. With some 32-33" tires and 3.73s the 5.2L is much happier than the 4.0.

Anyway, I second what dave said 96-98 ZJ prefered.

5.2L was the stock V8 option those years. In 98 there was a 5.9L offered, which is great for towing but you pay a premium for them and they're not really worth it IMO. The 5.2L is a pretty solid performer really. I've got 165k on mine and it still runs like new. They have issues with the TPS and AIC but but they're cheap sensors to replace every 2-3 years or whatever.

Most will come with 249 full-time 4wd transfercases. The 249 is reasonably strong if the VC is in good shape (you can tell during a regular test drive if its behaving). and 96 and up 249s have a true 4LO with low lock. 93-95s don't have a low-lock in 4LO, so you can end up having issues when you don't get proper 50-50 power distribution. Most of us with 93-95 ZJs swap in 231s to remedy the issue (myself included).

A few ZJs from this period came with 242 part time transfercases, but that was mostly with the 4.0L. If you stumble accross a V8 ZJ with a 2WD option on the lever consider it a good find.

The only real issue with the 96-98 models is the D44a out back. It doesn't share any parts with regular D44s, so no lockers are available except the old 'lincoln locker' or the stock limited slip. Though I'm not sure if you'll be wheeling your DD much. Aside from that, if you do intend to lift it up at all, ZJs are easier to lift than WJs since they share parts in common with XJs and TJs, so there are more swaps etc available. If you do wheel it, you'll want to consider swapping out your front axle shafts and driveshafts since they're the CV variety and you'll really want u-joints for strength. The driveshaft is really the critical one.

There's a tow package and up country suspension package that are worth looking out for too. The upcountry rides a little better and you also get the limited slip rear, tow points and skid plate package. The tow package gives you the hitch and 3.73s. Try to get 3.73s for sure.

If you want something newer, the WJs (99 and up) are pretty decent but I know little about them. 4.7L is the stock V8, all the t-cases seem to have low-lock, but lift options and other upgrades are more limited than the ZJs.

Anyway, to recap 96-98 V8 ZJ, preferably with the upcountry suspension and tow package so you get the skid plates, limited-slip, better springs and 3.73s.

OverkillZJ
01-04-2005, 02:04 PM
I guess a post like this was bound to show up eventually....

You asked on NAGCA or JU yet?

BigDaveZJ
01-04-2005, 02:11 PM

At least he posted it in the right forum! I know him from CO4x4 too, so I figure I'll let him slide.

longboy
01-04-2005, 02:13 PM

sorry, didn't realize this wasn't the place for this kinda question. i know CJs, i know nothing about ZJ/WJs. i know Dave personally, and that's what i thought this site was for?

i asked on JU, only got 2 responses. search doesn't work there again, so i gave up. i haven't checked out NAGCA, but will do.