PDA

View Full Version : I guess before I start fabbing this....

robselina
01-04-2005, 11:27 AM
....I should find out if it's not a totally shitty idea. :lol:

Anyway, the last of the steering/suspension parts will be in this next week and I'll get back to the 8.8 and suspension rebuild. I decided I wanted to ditch the 5 link out back and 4 link it. I was going to use the stock UCA mounts on the frame and just angle links in towards the pumpkin. Then I used up one of my heim joints on the scout steering this week and I got thinking that a 3 link would probably be easier. Basically I want to make an A frame upper link that would attach with a 3/4" heim. I have enough misalignment in the heim for flex and I'll obviously have to clear the d-shaft and sway bar but neither seems to be an issue.

Thoughts anyone?

JeepinHank
01-04-2005, 12:06 PM
I think that's pretty much what Brentt did during his build up...

http://www.akextreme4x4.com/tech/rearlongarm/rearlongarm.htm

robselina
01-04-2005, 02:11 PM
yup, same idea.

chadjans
01-04-2005, 03:34 PM
Don't use the stock control arm mounts. They suck. Rip off the frame. Just build a four link with proper length arms. Gives you much more setup options as far as centering the axle and such.

Chad

LouisianaZJ
01-04-2005, 04:54 PM
yeah, alot of people have ripped those mounts off with 5 link. if you do use them i would do some major reinforement to them

robselina
01-04-2005, 05:27 PM
desire to make own long arm setup out back rising....rising....

LOL, this is very bad.....

Jim311
01-04-2005, 10:30 PM
The problem with 3 link setups from what I have seen is that the caster may not be the same on both sides of the axle since your upper link is only supporting one side. That's the beef I've got with the RK longarm kits. Also, the thrust angle might be off as well. These were just some observations when we were aligning a friend of mine's Jeep with 2 lower control arms and only one upper. I'm by no means an alignment expert, but the computer wasn't lying, and the alignment rack was one of the best laser racks in the state. The differences weren't HUGE.. but they were certainly noticeably off. Just something to keep in mind if you decide to go with a 3 link instead of the triangulated 4 link. I think I'd run 2 uppers and 2 lowers if I were going to fab one up.

nate
01-05-2005, 06:31 AM
Caster would be on the front axle. Talking about rear axle setups here.

Jim311
01-05-2005, 02:07 PM

True, but you still have to think about thrust angle.

Alaska ZJ
01-07-2005, 11:09 AM

A tape measure will solve all your problems....You just have to use it BEFORE you weld stuff to your axle.

Jim311
01-07-2005, 10:54 PM

A tape measure will solve all your problems....You just have to use it BEFORE you weld stuff to your axle.

A tape measure isn't anywhere near as accurate as the laser rack I've used. We can tell minute degrees that you'd never even see with a tape measure ;)

It's an interesting tool that shows some things you might never even see or think of otherwise when you're comparing different suspension setups. I'm fortunate enough to actually be able to see how things measure up while most just drop their rigs off at the shop and pay for an alignment ;)

OverkillZJ
01-08-2005, 12:15 AM

A tape measure isn't anywhere near as accurate as the laser rack I've used. We can tell minute degrees that you'd never even see with a tape measure ;)

It's an interesting tool that shows some things you might never even see or think of otherwise when you're comparing different suspension setups. I'm fortunate enough to actually be able to see how things measure up while most just drop their rigs off at the shop and pay for an alignment ;)

Maybe it's a nice fancy tool, but the alignment I did on the Phoenix in a WalMart parking lot on the way to GSW is still perfect.

Go tape measure!

Kraqa
01-08-2005, 01:00 AM
tape measure????

like overkill said.

parking lot allingments are the kills.

i'm still driving on the one i did when i bent my steering the day after i got it backl from the shop.

nate
01-12-2005, 09:03 AM
The alignment rack is nice. We have a few in the shop (work part time at Sears).

Yeah I agree it's really accurate. That's great for a street rig. Now with something that's wheeled, you get the alignment perfect on the rack and then go bang on rocks all day. Think it's going to be perfect after? :lol:

Trust angle is the angle the rear axle is compared to the rig's centerline.
http://www.specprod.com/TECH_DIR/TECH_IMAGES/TECH_SUPP_THRUSTPOS.JPG
http://www.specprod.com/TECH_DIR/TECH_IMAGES/TECH_SUPP_THRUSTNEG.JPG

I don't understand how that relates to a front 3 link?

robselina
01-12-2005, 10:35 AM
just thought I'd give you guys an update: decided I didn't want the hastle and I ordered RE superflex uppers. I put on an additional 3/4" puck and I was thinking I didn't want to deal with my stock extended trackbar but it's still close enough that I don't care so I'm just going to keep the 5-link for now....I was going to have to mess with the exhaust and a few other things for the three link that I'm just not in the mood for right now. Maybe next year...