PDA

View Full Version : Pinion angles

herojeep
01-01-2005, 03:58 AM
Hello Everyone. I just found this site through NAGCA. Pardon if this topic has been discused but I did not notice it.
What are the maximum pinion angles allowed for dana 30's, 44's and a 14 bolt? On my CAD program I need a maximum pinion angle of 19 deg. at full droop. Also how much can you over-fill and should you add tranny fluid? I specifically am using a GM standard 44 front and 14 bolt rear. Also for my wifes cherokee a dana 30, and aluminum 44 rear, how far can you rotate?
I am leaning to just overfilling but thought I would check the vast experience, tried and true(or failed). The shop that will be turning the knuckles is only used to turning <7 degrees. They have drilled and tapped for a zerk fitting to lube the pinion bearing one one job, honestly that makes me nervous.

Anyway my vehicle info: 97 Grand. In the shop only to emerge with, don't laugh or hate, air adjustable 15" stroke, 12" dialed in lift with 6" compression and 9" extension. Running 40x17x16.5 Ground hawgs on widened to 12", hummer beadlocks. 46" baja claws for showing off. 44 front (large bearing design) 14 bolt rear, disc brake conversion (keeping ABS). Rancho 9000 in cab adjusted. Subframe, long arm system with, five link front, triangulated four link rear. All designed on cad to keep caster within 1 degree, squatting and jacking minimized. All to give my wife a daily driver and be a billboard for my work. I will be taking over her cherokee.

LouisianaZJ
01-01-2005, 04:30 AM
i did not really read all that stuff

but i dont think pinion angle is going to be that big of a deal at all on the front since you will have lock out hubs.

as far as oiling, WTF tranny fluid and a grease Zerk? dont do that shit. i would just fill it up until you get close to the factory specified capacity. the oil will splash around and lube the pinion. i think certain companies can drill or widen extra oil passages for the pinion.

40's on a D44 :roll: even the 3/4 ton D44 is dumb. D60 front. i was thinking about going D60 with 35's.. fawk just reread that you will be running 46" meats :explosion: rockwell time

i think the 14 bolt should be ok, but pushing that too

i hope you are upgrading your t-case/tranny too

why even bother with ABS? pointless imho
with 12" lift rolling on 46" baja claws on a D44 ... ABS would be the least of my concerns

Jim311
01-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Yeah, you're going to grenade that bitch big time with 46s. Even a 14 bolt won't like that shit!

herojeep
01-01-2005, 11:49 PM
Like I said, I really am not fond of the zerk idea. Translation= not going to put it on anything I own.

The idea of adding tranny fluid is something I remember reading about in a magazine over the years. The physics behind it increases the cofesion properties of the oil, reducing the foaming that they say is common from overfilling.

WHAT THE... yeah I know the sound of 46" tires makes most peoples eyes pop out. Heck, 42's are the most I can fit and stay at a legal frame height. The 46's would be, as I said, for show/ing off. But to toss $2,000 at tires that I can't drive on the street might not happen. But I designed the lift to encorporate it. Plus I have an old Military truck I am designing to run 46's on the street.

As for the 44 front, I don't plan on sticking those tires in any rock crevis just yet and throttling it. Both axles, rims and tires for $400, couldn't pass it up.

Well it looks as if I am just going to over-fill and put new axle seals in for good measure.

robselina
01-02-2005, 12:51 PM
As for the 44 front, I don't plan on sticking those tires in any rock crevis just yet and throttling it. Both axles, rims and tires for $400, couldn't pass it up.

Seiously, with a locked front you can bust it idling up an obstacle with that much leverage.

If you put the 40s only, and not the 46s on there EVER, you MIGHT be able to get away with a warn shaft/ox joint combo. But then you'll be blowing pinions if you wheel hard. Consider getting some 37s, 38s tops if you stay open if you want to keep stock 760s and shafts.

As for rotation, I've seen guys run 20 degrees without any issues. They just moved the fill plug up to accomodate about the same amount of oil.

As for your pinion angle, that'll be determined by your u-joint and you're going to want uprated driveshafts anyway so just call tom woods or high angle driveline and they'll tell you what you can get away with there. You can always go double double-cardan :lol:

Alaska ZJ
01-02-2005, 02:04 PM
I Set a Rear pinion at 19 degree's two weeks ago. It made it down to Colorado and is on it's way home...I have seen them even steeper in TJ's.

Zerk- That is a dumbass idea. Stay away from anyshop that thinks it is a good one.

ATF in the diff- Same as the Zerk. Go synthetic if your that anal.

D44 front and 46" tires= Take pictures.

Take pictures of this air ride suspension......I am interested.