PDA

View Full Version : Newbie driveshaft help!!!!

Aidy
12-30-2004, 12:17 AM
Hello, i have a 96 JGC V8 with the CV front driveshaft. To make the long story short. It was giving me a terrible vibration over 50 mph so i switched to the U-joint setup successfully.

After the switch over, i am now noticing a strange vibration at very low speeds or during braking especially when the rpm goes below 1000.

All suspension parts are in good condition. No allignment problems and checked tire pressure!!!

Appreciate any help plz?

Jeepinparrothead
12-30-2004, 02:14 AM
Mine has a slightly differenct fell to it then the CV, I think that it is pretty muc normal up to a certain point. If you can really feel it under feet then you probably have a problem. What shaft did you get? Was it just a ZJ with a U-joint shaft from the factory? If it was if should have just bolted up and been fine. But you know chrysler, every Jeep is different.

Aidy
12-30-2004, 02:48 AM
Well the vibration is very noticable and u could feel it even if u r in the backseat. I got the DS from a scrap yard with a one week guarantee on it so if u suspect it to be the problem, u think i should better go replace it???

PS it is the double carden-U joint DS. If u think it has to do with the joints maybe i should go replace them?

Thanks

OverkillZJ
12-30-2004, 10:53 AM
Did you inspect the ujoints and centering ball / yoke?

robselina
12-30-2004, 11:53 PM
what transfercase do you have?

Aidy
01-02-2005, 12:05 AM
Sorry for the delay as my connection was down the past two days!!

I have the 249 TC and i have checked the u-joints and they seem ok!!

How should i check if the centering ball is ok?

robselina
01-02-2005, 12:58 PM
I'd pull the driveshaft and drive around and see if it still does it, but I can't remember if 249s get pissed when you do that....

Jim311
01-02-2005, 01:27 PM
93-95 you can't pull the front shaft. 96+ you can. My 249 hates my ujointed front shaft.. it's so freaking noisy. I can't wait to swap in the 231 and get rid of that damn noise! :mad:

Jeepinparrothead
01-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Sorry for the un-readable first post. Man I don't know what I was doing that night. Anyway, my 249 and u-jointed dirve shaft does not make enought vibration to feel in the back seat. So something else is the culprit. I would check all of the joints and everything stated above basically. That is about everything that will cause that.

Aidy
01-03-2005, 12:31 AM
I checked everything again but all seems ok and i had the pinion angle adjusted as possible with the DS angle and now the vibration seems a lot less, as i heard that vibes during deceleration are due to wrong angles. Guess i'd have to live with the remaining vibes!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot guys for the help. If anyone has any more tips plz tell me.

Aidy
01-03-2005, 12:33 AM
Forgot to say that when removed the vibrations disappear!!!!

OverkillZJ
01-03-2005, 01:05 AM
Then I'd say it's time to overhaul that driveshaft, or it's simply out of balance. Overhaul = easier and DIY.

EDIT: I just caught on that you have the CV shaft on what sounds to be a lifted jeep....

Just get rid of it, it's nothing but trouble. Time for a real driveshaft :shock:

Jeepinparrothead
01-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Man I am totally lost I thought you were talking about a U-jointed drive shaft. Yes I had bad bad bad bad x11 billion vibes when the CV was on its way out. You need to go to a "real" driveshaft as Matt said. Those CV driveshafts are a time bomb just waiting for you to get on a trail so they blow up.

Aidy
01-04-2005, 12:29 AM
Thank you guys for the input but i just wanted to point out that i already switched to the U-joint setup and the recent vibes i am getting are with it!!

Of course they are nothing compared to the CV shaft when it went out but am trying to reach a stage of no vibes?????? The vibes only occur during decelration or braking and i have already adjusted the pinion angle as best as possible (<5 degrees difference) and still getting the vibes. Is it a matter of rebuilding the double joint? But it seems to be ok.

Thanks a million for the assistance

Aidy
01-04-2005, 12:30 AM
Thank you guys for the input but i just wanted to point out that i already switched to the U-joint setup and the recent vibes i am getting are with it!!

Of course they are nothing compared to the CV shaft when it went out but am trying to reach a stage of no vibes?????? The vibes only occur during decelration or braking and i have already adjusted the pinion angle as best as possible (<5 degrees difference) and still getting the vibes. Is it a matter of rebuilding the double joint? But it seems to be ok.

P.S. Car height is stock.

Thanks a million for the assistance.

OverkillZJ
01-04-2005, 12:54 AM
....if it's stock, how are you adjusting the pinion angle?

Aidy
01-04-2005, 02:12 AM
Well i am not that of a mechanical expert but my mechanic did move the angle a bit upwards using the lower arms towards the DS but told me that he reached the maximum at only about 3-4 degrees??

OverkillZJ
01-04-2005, 02:17 PM
Probably the cam bolts.

Interesting.

nate
01-05-2005, 06:47 AM
Why interesting? Most ZJs have them. They do suck, I agree there. Everytime I go on a trail run, they move around and my caster gets all fawked up. Bubba tight and locktite and still them move.

Anyhow where did you get the U joint driveshaft? If it's junkyard, I'd bet that a u joint is worn, or the centering ball/socket (whatever the real name for that is). Could be the shaft is bent as well.
Is there slop in any of the joints? You could have a driveline shop balance it for $20-30, but the joints need to be in good shape to get an accurate balance job.

OverkillZJ
01-05-2005, 09:33 AM
Why interesting? Most ZJs have them. They do suck, I agree there. Everytime I go on a trail run, they move around and my caster gets all fawked up. Bubba tight and locktite and still them move.

Interesting because they have so little throw, I've never heard of anyone using them to adjust pinion angle. Any adjustment that you can get out of them shouldn't really matter to a healthy driveshaft at stock height. There's something else going on.

Aidy
01-06-2005, 12:03 AM
I guess the centering ball could be the problem as the front U-joint seems to be in good condition. The Shaft itself is straight as it is only giving me vibes during deceleration and at speeds les than 40 mph. I took it to a driveline shop but over here (Dubai) they have no idea how to check it out for straightness with the double carden!!!!!!!!! The double carden is a bit loose when u wiggle it around so maybe i have to rebuild it????

Thanks a lot guys for the help. Really appreciate it!!!