PDA

View Full Version : odd squeal.. coming from frontend

Hurricane 4x4
12-24-2004, 05:31 PM
frontend of my 96 4.0 grand is making a hideous noise... sounds exactly like a belt slipping

I can rule out the serpentine belt, because it is almost brand new, and it does not make this noise when the vehicle is not moving (revving the motor in neutral does nothing to affect the noise).

It makes this noise above about 25mph... and seems to be loosely connected to speed. It sounds exactly like a belt squealing and it is a constant "chirp...chirp...chirp"

When i roll the window down and stick my head out the window i can hear it "reflecting" off the ground.. it seems quite loud.

I went wheeling about a week ago and submerged the front end up to the bottom of the grill (got stuck in the process too) and its been doing it ever since. I have cleaned everything up in there real well... and pulled the front wheels off to check the rotors/pads/hubs.. everything seems fine.. i put a fresh coat of grease on the pads and put it back together. The front suspension does not squeak when you move it around (bounce up and down on the frontend).

Anyway i suppose i need to start checking bolts. Just looking for some ideas / brainstorming as to possible causes.

LouisianaZJ
12-24-2004, 05:48 PM
could be a ungreased front double cardan driveshaft

NYC Mad Mike
12-26-2004, 01:53 AM
Check for any fluids that might be leaking onto the serpentine belt that would cause it to squeal. I have seen this happen more than once. Good luck.

Mad Mike

Hurricane 4x4
12-26-2004, 12:43 PM
i sprayed both the u joints on the front axle and the front driveshaft with wd-40 to see if it would help... no dice

i'm sure its not the serpentine... the sound is not related to engine rpm

PassRunnerZJ
12-28-2004, 11:59 PM
Put it into low range and see if it makes the same noise at the same speed (mph) to isolate the engine from the drive train. You can also remove the front drive shaft to eleminate it as the cause, if it is a bad double cardan joint. Have you checked the front diff fluid for water. The breather tube generally terminates at the air box, but... You could have pulled a bunch of water into the diff when it was in the submarine position.

JeepinHank
12-29-2004, 06:07 PM
Also check out your front pinion seal. If you have any leaks coming from the rear of the front diff, that's a sign that it's the seal. Take my advice - replace the seal. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Hurricane 4x4
02-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. It turned out to be the fan clutch. I started it up cold and let it run in the driveway while i was hitching up my trailer. I noticed a little squeak coming from thru the grille and opened the hood. The fam looked to be a little out of whack. I killed the motor and pushed the fan with my hand and heard a little squeak. Also noticed some play in the bearing. Replaced it yesterday and it cured my problem.

thanks again for the suggestions

Hurricane 4x4
02-18-2005, 09:20 AM
Turns out the problem still exists. It was 30 degrees this morning and the heep was squeaking away.

Looks like its back to the drawing board

JeepinHank
02-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Did you re-tighten the bolt on your tensioner pulley?

Had that happen to me once... Tightened it up, noise went away.

Hadn't seen it mentioned.

Hurricane 4x4
02-18-2005, 02:01 PM
I havent actually

The belt tension seemed fine... and the noise does not vary with RPM

but its worth another look

Where in NC are you?

JeepinHank
02-18-2005, 02:13 PM
I havent actually

The belt tension seemed fine... and the noise does not vary with RPM

but its worth another look

Note: Not just the tensioner rod behind the PS pump, the actual bolt on the pulley itself. If its a little loose it will cause a squeak.

Where in NC are you?

I'm in Lumberton. Small town just north of the NC/SC border on I-95

Hurricane 4x4
02-18-2005, 02:19 PM
I'm familiar with lumberton. Went there not too long ago to pick up a bike from yamaha of lumberton.

I dont think the pulley is loose, but i think i'll throw a wrench on them anyway.

Remember the jeep only makes this noise above 20 mph... and its related to speed... not rpm

really strange if you ask me

I think i'll check the driveshaft as someone suggested earlier... I have looked at it, it looks fine, but the jeep does have over 160K miles... and the driveshafts have never been rebuilt/removed

- From raleigh myself

Hurricane 4x4
11-17-2005, 10:48 PM
Louisiana XJ gets the prize

front double cardan joint is worn out... i ignored this all summer but when it got cold the noise came back, pulled the driveshaft and the noise is gone

death-mobile
05-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Can you fix it? That is the part between the two universal joints right? I have the same squeak and I'm thinking it's shaft related, however I keep the universals greased.

SLC_ZJ
05-06-2007, 09:24 PM
mine was squeaking bad up until I had the double cardon u-joints replaced last spring, now it rides smoother and quieter. most drivetrain shops will swap them for free if you buy the joints from them and you take the shaft off yourself and give it to them. Six States here is awesome, less than $15 installed for each one. I just use Spicer Blues, nothing special. And remember to check your u-joint strap bolts once in awhile and use thread locker on them when you re-install the shaft.