PDA

View Full Version : D30 fianlly broke, have some questions...

badzj999
12-24-2004, 02:01 PM
went wheeling over the past weekend and finally managed to break my d30 after over a year of stress from 36" tsls. i broke the carrier and the spider gears inside the carrier. my question is what could i do to pretty much make my d30 a dead axle so my zj is still driveable until i get a d44 to replace it? i dont want to fix the carrier or the spider gears i want it to be a 2x4 for now.

Jim311
12-24-2004, 02:21 PM
Nice break!

As far as the spider gears, you can remove those. How badly, and where, is the carrier broken? The problem with removing the carrier is that it sorta supports those inner shafts, otherwise they'd be flopping around inside the tube I would think. But maybe the seals would support the weight enough without the carrier? I'm not exactly sure. You also might be able to remove the inner shafts, but you'll still need to keep the outers obviously. I'd definitely like to see some pictures of this! It does my heart good to know that the ring and pinion was not the weakest link.

Nordic1
12-24-2004, 03:39 PM
he could pull the u0joints and just run the outers.... that would keep him from having any real problems with the 4x2 setup.

Jeepin' Wolf
12-24-2004, 03:41 PM
Dismantle the axle shafts or get a set of junked outers (TJ/TJ/XJ/ZJ/WJ either will work), install only the outer stubs on the hubs so your bearings don't fall apart, gut the housing (or not don't matter) and voila, you've got yourself a 2WD ZJ.

OverkillZJ
12-24-2004, 04:12 PM
Yup, I'm just running outers right now (cracked the ring gear)

Don't be an idiot and run no shaft, you need the outer in there for the bearing pre-load. I've seen people do some scary stupid things when they don't know any better :lol:

Swamp boy
12-24-2004, 10:16 PM
I have a pair of 2WD outers .. That I carry with me just incase.. :)

badzj999
12-30-2004, 03:41 PM
ok so i finally got around to taking the peice of crap apart and now to make it 2wd i can't get the damn u-joints out of the axle shafts. i've been bashing it with a socket and hammer and they don't want to move. i dont have access to a press either so any suggestions for freeing them? also i cant get the carrier to come out either, do i need to remove the pinion to free it or what? thanks

LouisianaZJ
12-30-2004, 03:59 PM
ball joint press rented from auto zone + breaker bar (it is like a big wrench operated c clamp thing)

Jim311
12-30-2004, 07:30 PM
Use a vice to support one side while you pound the other.. that's the only way mine came out.

JeepinHank
12-30-2004, 07:30 PM
Yup, I'm just running outers right now (cracked the ring gear)

Don't be an idiot and run no shaft, you need the outer in there for the bearing pre-load. I've seen people do some scary stupid things when they don't know any better :lol:

:oops:

This is probably a stupid question, but did you remove the internal retainer clips in the axle shaft? If so, give it a good shot of PB Blaster and go with the balljoint press.

You'll definitely need the stub shafts to hold the uni-bearings together. What you want to remove past that is up to you. You've been given some good advice for that already.

BigDaveZJ
12-30-2004, 09:27 PM

It is pretty entertaining to see a Ram 2500 on fohdeez have a wheel fall completely off though cuz they didn't think of that!! Luckily he was only 20 yards from the end of the trail.