PDA

View Full Version : installing 42re trans

goodolboy71
12-22-2004, 06:37 AM
i got the old one out but it didnt go as easy as we expected. problem is we have 2 jacks and are thinkin of a way to get the trans situated to where we can bolt it to the engine and then the torque conv. anyone have any been there done that try this ideas.

ATL ZJ
12-22-2004, 06:41 PM
I'm taking it you are doing it on the ground? I did it laying on my back with one big jack, three friends, and a lot of cursing. MAKE SURE THE TORQUE CONVERTER IS FULLY SEATED BEFORE YOU START BOLTING IT UP. Or else it'll fawk the oil pump and possibly a lot of other stuff. Oh and the TQ Converter will jam and you will have to get creative in order to get it off. Learned that the hard way.

If you're doing it on a lift, then I have no idea what to tell you. If you're willing to swallow your pride and let as many people help you as possible, you can move it around much more easily and it goes in quicker.

Swamp boy
12-22-2004, 10:13 PM
Might want to drop into Harbor freight and pick up a cheap tranny jack..

I had one but I gave it to a friend of mine who has a stupid 700R4 and has had his tranny out about 7 times.. I figured he needed it more than me.. :lol:

They are cheap and worth their weight in gold..

Good luck..

Carl

ATL ZJ
12-23-2004, 02:32 AM
Might want to drop into Harbor freight and pick up a cheap tranny jack..

I had one but I gave it to a friend of mine who has a stupid 700R4 and has had his tranny out about 7 times.. I figured he needed it more than me.. :lol:

They are cheap and worth their weight in gold..

Good luck..

Carl

They do help. To make a long story short, the second time I went to bolt up the 42re, I had a tranny jack that I'd rented. But for the price of renting it twice, I could have just bought one. The tranny jack made the whole ordeal much easier since less manual balancing was needed. Best of luck once again.

FinlayZJ
12-27-2004, 10:52 AM
Put the TC in the bellhousing. Turn it and make sure if fully seats. Attach the flywheel to the engine (may not be necessary if you didn't take the flywheel off). Then take the tranny in put it on the 2 "guide" pins on each side. Place the 2 bolts thru these guide pins. Now turn the flywheel around and bolt up the TC to the flywheel. Install the rest of the bolts around the tranny. Hope that makes sense.

POSJEEP
12-29-2004, 11:50 AM
I use a towel between my knees and bellhousing rest it on my chest under the jeep and hold it on the tail shaft with my hands. keeping a jackstand and a friend close by for when it slides in so he can slide the jackstand under the tail. I then put a bucket under the pan just in case it slips. Then start the bolts around the bell housing, make sure the tc doesnt fall out of its seat! Then use a long screwdriver or pry bar to turn the flywheel while putting in the tc bolts in, make sure you dont tighten them down on the first turn or you will have problems lining the others up. I also like to zip tie the dip stick in close prox. of where it will be this makes getting it in allot less stressfull.
this is dangerous, be very carefull! If your not sure dont do it this way.
Being able to bench a bit helps to. Its not lifting it in place that hurts, its holding it there long enough to shimmy it into place. :shock:
I have changed many transmissions I prefer a lift or trans jack but in the dirt this is how I do it.
ALSO REMOVE THE CRANK SENSOR BEFORE INSTALLATION OR IT WILL BREAK!