PDA

View Full Version : What shocks to get??

Cue-Ball
12-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Okay guys.

I ordered the Bilstein 5150 shocks several months ago, so I have had them in the shed for about 3-4 months. I got them as I was told they were the best shock to get.

Well now all I hear is how crappy they are and how Chase has repeatedly broken them and everyone seems to be moving away from them.

So what is the best shock out there toget?? Should I try to sell mine off and get something different??

Raacerx
12-20-2004, 03:59 PM
Okay guys.

I ordered the Bilstein 5150 shocks several months ago, so I have had them in the shed for about 3-4 months. I got them as I was told they were the best shock to get.

Well now all I hear is how crappy they are and how Chase has repeatedly broken them and everyone seems to be moving away from them.

So what is the best shock out there toget?? Should I try to sell mine off and get something different??

For the record Cue, I run 5150s. Many of my friends run them. We've never had a single problem (and my friends wheel a hell of a lot more then me). However I have of course seen all of Chase's breaks and other peoples breaks, but I know exponentially more people that run them and dont have any problems. I got them for the onroad ride and I believe its well worth it. When a ZJ on 37s lifted 8" with just a front swaybar can keep up with a car in the twisties you know they are worth it.

Cue-Ball
12-20-2004, 04:08 PM
Thanks Max, anyone else have any first hand experience?

Nordic1
12-20-2004, 05:24 PM
I'm going to test out Rubicon's mono-tube shocks. RE gets their shocks made by eidelbrock. Eidelbrock has had a relatively good history with shock manufacturing so I figure they’re worth a try. I want to stay with Nitro charged shocks as they ride alot better than non-nitro shocks do. On top of that, I have yet to be disappointed with any of RE’s products so I’m going to assume that quality is going to carry over into their shocks.

Nordic1
12-20-2004, 05:26 PM
Does anybody know whathappened to Bilstein's "bigbore" or "bigboy" (or whatever) shocks? I saw an advertisement awhile back for a mono-tube shock with a huge bore.... I'll see if I can find the article

LouisianaZJ
12-20-2004, 06:14 PM
I'm going to test out Rubicon's mono-tube shocks. RE gets their shocks made by eidelbrock. Eidelbrock has had a relatively good history with shock manufacturing so I figure they’re worth a try. I want to stay with Nitro charged shocks as they ride alot better than non-nitro shocks do. On top of that, I have yet to be disappointed with any of RE’s products so I’m going to assume that quality is going to carry over into their shocks.
fyi, supposedly they are edelbrok ias monotubes valved for RE. a couple guys on NAXJA run them. they are pretty cheap @ $70 ea

gearhead313
12-20-2004, 06:31 PM
I had the RE mono-tube's with my RE kit and those shocks didn't last 3 months. They are absolute garbage. I bent 2 of them, one leaks...leaving one functioning one.

My buddy got the same shocks as I did when we did his RE LA kit and they yeilded hte same results. He has skyjacker shocks now and I have black diamonds.

I payed $22/piece for my 29.78" extended shocks and they were 10x better than the RE ones.

I remember a post like this on NAGCA....

OverkillZJ
12-20-2004, 07:05 PM
I remember a post like this on NAGCA....

Yup. Definately newb tech :)

Cue-Ball
12-20-2004, 07:37 PM
Sorry guys, damn I have being the newbie :evil:

robselina
12-20-2004, 11:08 PM
shocks are over rated. Buy the cheapest set you can that are the right length. done.

OverkillZJ
12-21-2004, 01:01 AM
I run DT's, and my brother runs Rusty's (same shock I think?) -- anyway, I've been pretty happy with them. Cheap, do the job, and take a beating.

nate
12-21-2004, 03:49 AM
For a cheap shock Trailmaster SSVs do a halfway decent job. I paid $35 for the ones on the rear of my ZJ. I think the normal price is around $50 ea, not sure though.

They are lifetime warranty. I blew one out and it was replaced without questions, even though the can was dented a bit.

LouisianaZJ
12-21-2004, 01:44 PM
I run DT's, and my brother runs Rusty's (same shock I think?) -- anyway, I've been pretty happy with them. Cheap, do the job, and take a beating.
rustys are gabriel's

Cue-Ball
12-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Ok since I already own the 5150's I am going to just run them and see how they hold up. I will be adding limit straps from day ONE so hopefully nothing will break.

Nordic1
12-22-2004, 02:10 AM
A good thing to do is weld the threads where they eyes bolt to the shocks. I just finished welding my first shock back together and yes it is a testimate to my shitty welding abilitites but I think the shock will be alot stronger now

Cue-Ball
12-22-2004, 03:44 AM
Yes after all the problems you have had I plan to weld them after they are installed and set up. s well as adding quad wrapped straps from day one.

Let me ask you something when I got my shocks there are 2 different sizes do you know which ones you are running in the front and which one you have in the rear?

nate
12-22-2004, 05:47 AM
The rear usually has longer shocks

Cue-Ball
12-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Thanks Nate