PDA

View Full Version : Rock crawler

97 TSI
12-15-2004, 10:32 PM
I'm looking at the 7" extreme lift and would like to know if anybody has this and what they think :D

MaineZJ
12-15-2004, 10:48 PM
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=595381

snarfer86
12-15-2004, 10:49 PM
I'm looking at the 7" extreme lift and would like to know if anybody has this and what they think :D

ive heard RK has re-designed it :roll: but i haent heard about any reviews on it..claytons and kevins are the most popular and a few people are going to try the rock controll one so there arent any reviews that ive heard of on that one.

nathaniel
12-16-2004, 12:11 AM
From a design standpoint they have an excellent idea front and rear. From seeing their newest design implemented on a WJ. I would steer clear of them if ride is a consideration. The front 3 link just looks micky moused(sp). The rear is a short arm version of a 4 link, which is a bad idea.

I like both Kevins and Clayton's above all others. If you are serious about being at 7" Kevins fixed arms will be the best riding of them all. Only issue I have with kevins is that you have to be at 6+" of lift. Other than that it is a great kit that comes with all the trimmings. Shocks, brake lines, springs, crossmember and skid plate. The ride is amazing.

Claytons kit is tried and tested tough enough to withstand anything.

wolfgang7
12-16-2004, 12:20 AM
has kevin finished production on adjustable LA's yet? i know he has been working on it....

Jim311
12-16-2004, 12:32 AM
My friend runs it. Very good flex and not a bad kit. The new kits have been redesigned. Ask TranceZJ about it.. he runs that kit.

LouisianaZJ
12-16-2004, 12:38 AM
well i have heard of problems with most LA's

RK- need to reinforce the unibody UCA mounts in the rear
- problems w/ rear tri link joint wearing quickly
- LA mounts should be tied into a crossmember

KEVINS
front UCA cradle thing seems kinda bulky
adjustable arms are extra. measrue twice, weld once if you get the fixed arms :D

claytons'
i have never heard a single complaint about it, ever. he was one of the first guys to make ZJ LA's. i think he now offers packages with springs and shocks too

nathaniel
12-16-2004, 10:10 AM
has kevin finished production on adjustable LA's yet? i know he has been working on it....

yes they are readily available.

nathaniel
12-16-2004, 10:25 AM
well i have heard of problems with most LA's

RK- need to reinforce the unibody UCA mounts in the rear
- problems w/ rear tri link joint wearing quickly
- LA mounts should be tied into a crossmember

KEVINS
front UCA cradle thing seems kinda bulky
adjustable arms are extra. measrue twice, weld once if you get the fixed arms :D

claytons'
i have never heard a single complaint about it, ever. he was one of the first guys to make ZJ LA's. i think he now offers packages with springs and shocks too

If you are at 6+ Kevins Anti torsion truss is a non issue. The location of the mounts isn't that critical in the front if you have adj cam bolts. The rear needs to be measured twice though.

Biggest complaint of Clayton's is that the subframe mounts under the frame rails losing even more ground clearance. If memory servers me its around an inch+

The real choice is between limited uptravel in the front of kevins 4-5" or loss of clearance with claytons. kevins includes a lot of the little stuff you need disco's extended front swaybar mounts, etc.

rockkrawler has rear 4 link instead of trilink but they are short upper links

nate
12-17-2004, 09:23 AM
Your right with Clayton's that you pretty much loose 1" at the frame rail. The cross member and t case are still the lowest points though, so I wouldn't think it cause a huge problem.

vsh
11-19-2006, 11:36 PM
RK.

MUDDTRACKS
11-19-2006, 11:56 PM
I have been running the 7" RK lift for 2.5 years now and the ride is great.

Everything i ever hear about RK is bad but i have not had any problems with the lift except the rear upper arm mounts but that happens to all zj's with lift's that use the rear uppers. but now Rk dont use the short arm uppers and they have long arms up top.

SuicideTireZJ
11-20-2006, 04:56 AM
What the hell was this tread ressurrected for?

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
11-20-2006, 05:45 AM
What the hell was this tread ressurrected for?

apparently vsh wanted to make a completely unsupported argument for a question that is no longer being asked. way to go butt pirate! :smt026

ILikeMud
11-20-2006, 10:38 AM
RK sucks.

OverkillZJ
11-20-2006, 10:55 AM
RK sucks, and replying to a thread 2 years old is lame. Closed.