PDA

View Full Version : A question about the 8.8.....

Jim311
12-14-2004, 02:12 AM
I've had this 8.8 sitting in my garage with no brackets for quite some time now. Tonight I got bored and decided to bust it open and check it out. I found a small amount of scoring on the spider gears. Is this normal? I looked at the carrier bearings and they appear to have no scoring or scratches at all. Is it worthwhile to replace these carrier bearings and all the bearings in this thing while I've got all this stuff out? I also seem to have acquired one VERY thin shim/washer of some sort that's about the side of the inner diameter of the axle tube. But I only have one. WTF does this thing go? Thanks for all the help. Move to newbie tech if necessary :D

Kraqa
12-14-2004, 02:25 AM
i'v had scoring on the picder bearings on some of my axles. as long as there isn't bits of metal in the oil of in the bearings i think you shouldn't be conserned. i beleive that shim is used to posision the gears correctly.

Jim311
12-14-2004, 02:30 AM
Position which gears correctly? Is it used between one of the side gears or something? I'm thinking that it's on one side of those "cups" that the carrier bearings ride in, but I'm not sure which? :?:

Edit: Possibly somebody has a breakdown diagram of the 8.8 rear end?

Jim311
12-14-2004, 02:39 AM
Ah, I dug a little bit. Found this diagram:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/diagrams/expaxle.GIF

I'm thinking it's the "adjustable shim" but I've only got one? Which side does it go on?

Troy
12-14-2004, 07:59 AM
Those shims are used to adjust the preload the ring has on the pinion. If you're not sure which side the shims came from you're going to have to re-set up your gears. Did you pull the carrier yourself or was the shim just lying there when you pulled out the chunk?

Alaska ZJ
12-14-2004, 10:36 AM
Well now you have taught yourself a lesson. Keep track of what shim comes off of wich side.....lol.

Oh and I set up 4 8.8's this weekend and I have never seen one with only a shim on One side.....there is probably a shim on the other side either stuck to the carrier or still in the housing. If you find it you know that the shim in question goes on the other side.

For use "Do it Yourselfers" we have shim packs to try and get the proper shit for the gears to mesh...At the factory they rust measure out what they need and then turn it off a big chunk of stock.

The only thing I don't like about externally shimmed diff's is the pia it is to get good preload on the carrier bearings without a case spreader.

Oh and if you are putting 4.56 and a ARB together you need to shave down the tooth for the crosspin.

To get the ring gear on the 8.8 put the ring bear in the oven at 250 for 20 minutes. It will slip right on. Don't use a torch as you can warp the ring ear.

I am no expert but I have done a bunch and as long as people keep buying 8.8's from my goldmine I will keep doing them....lol.

Jim311
12-14-2004, 01:17 PM
It doesn't matter that I'd have to set up the gears anyway. I can't use the gears that are in it because they're 3.27. I'm probably going to go to 4.56 or 4.10... haven't decided which. Also I'm going to put a locker in it. Don't know what kind tho :o

It was wierd because I didn't even SEE the shim when I was pulling out the chunk. It just sort of "appeared" after I'd sat everything out on my workbend. :?:

nate
12-14-2004, 09:07 PM
It was probably stuck to the carrier bearing and fell off on the bench.

Jim311
12-15-2004, 05:04 AM
It was probably stuck to the carrier bearing and fell off on the bench.

I'd bet you're right.

By the way, I'd appreciate any links that any of you could provide about setting up gears in this beast... the time draws near!

Alaska ZJ
12-15-2004, 09:30 AM
it is not hard...take your time and remember cleanlyness is next to godlyness.

Jim311
12-15-2004, 02:33 PM
I'm beginning to wonder what sort of locker I should put in this thing while I've got everything busted apart. I have to drive this shit on the street every day, so I can't go full spool. At least not without roasting tires 8)

What do you guys recommend? Ideally I'd like it to be something I can just pop in and not fuck with.

Alaska ZJ
12-16-2004, 03:16 PM
Detroit or ARB...Anything else is junk.

LouisianaZJ
12-16-2004, 03:20 PM
i have a detroit in the 44.
it understeers and chirps the inside tire when turning. not really a problem for me. i dont know how strong their c-locker is compared to the regular detroit?

nate
12-16-2004, 05:41 PM
My buddy ran a Detriot in his 44 under a TJ. I drove it a few times and it wasn't very noticeable. Just had to be careful on icy turns, as it tends to slide.

ARB is nice. Mine has some pitted spider gears though. I talked to Tim Lund @ ARB and they refused to warranty it saying the gear oil got contaminated, so it was my fault. This was after 2 months of driving... barely 1000 miles on the thing. I'm going to have to get a rebuild kit for it.

Jim311
12-20-2004, 12:03 AM
Well, I pulled the carrier in my D30 today to try and diagnose a wierd vibe/howl I'd been having in the front end. Turns out my pinion gear is pretty worn... and not in the right places. It had been riding against the ring gear on the tips somehow. So now I'm looking into swapping gears. I'm curious if any of you are running 4.56 gears with 33s on your V8s. Is it too much gear? Will it be just right? Should I expect better gas mileage or worse (I've got 3.73 now)

I'm hoping to pick up some power on the low end but still be able to cruise comfortably on the interstate if possible.

LouisianaZJ
12-20-2004, 12:17 AM
It doesn't matter that I'd have to set up the gears anyway. I can't use the gears that are in it because they're 3.27. I'm probably going to go to 4.56 or 4.10... haven't decided which. Also I'm going to put a locker in it. Don't know what kind tho :o

It was wierd because I didn't even SEE the shim when I was pulling out the chunk. It just sort of "appeared" after I'd sat everything out on my workbend. :?:
3.27, whoa this thing isnt out of a mustang Gt is it? hope not

Jim311
12-20-2004, 12:31 AM

3.27, whoa this thing isnt out of a mustang Gt is it? hope not

Counted the splines... 31.

Jim311
12-20-2004, 12:34 AM
Also the "shim" I found was actually just supposed to go on one of the side gears. It fell of during disassembly. :p

Jim311
12-23-2004, 07:41 PM
Got my install kits today. Full install kits including ALL new bearings and races. 80 for the D30 and 35 for the 8.8, now I'm just waiting on the gears that I'm buying from the guy in the for sale forum :D

I hope that deal doesn't fall through.