PDA

View Full Version : WJ Electric Fan

nate
12-13-2004, 10:14 AM
What is the main problem with overheating with the 99-00 WJs? Is it because of the electric fan?

The reason I'm asking is I think I may have made a mistake by installing one in my ZJ. For the most part it's fine, but there are times it runs warmer than normal.
Like when the A/C is on, it will get up to 230*. Also it's the same thing climbing grades on the highway.
It's not something that happens everyday, Alaska doesn't stay hot for very long, so I never really stopped to think about it.

I was blaming it on the temp sender not being accurate enough, so I was going to buy a different one. I realized that doesn't make much sense, because the fan does turn on when it should, but it will never shut off. Not enough CFM to cool the engine?

Looks like this: http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/img/monthly_02_06/oldfan1.jpg

This site .http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/02_06.html talks about replacing the e fan to a hydraulic setup for better cooling. Sounds like the WJ e fan is junk.

Should I be looking for a different fan? Taurus?

OverkillZJ
12-13-2004, 11:30 AM
I've heard it was the electric vs. Hydro fan. I dunno.

nate
12-15-2004, 07:48 AM
Well I asked a few people, and apparently the WJ 4.0s use both the electric fan I'm running and an engine driven fan. That's why the e fan is mounted like that in the shroud.

So, I'm going to install something else. Thinking perhaps a 5.9L fan if I can find one. Anyone know how the 5.9L shround/fan is setup? Would be cool if it'd pretty much bolt in. I could always go with a Tarus fan as well.

OverkillZJ
12-15-2004, 09:32 AM
5.9 fan should bont in, but $$$

I like my stock mechanical power-robbing fan, it works!

nate
12-15-2004, 03:08 PM
That is something to think about. The reason I went to an electric fan is because my fan clutch crapped out. I fixed it so it was always locked up, but I got tired of the Jeep sounding like a Cessna. The e fan setup cost me less than a new fan clutch.

The few extra hp does help the 4.0 out though. Every little bit counts. We all know the 4.0 has way too much power. :lol: