PDA

View Full Version : Battery Woes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

NYC Mad Mike
12-12-2004, 01:17 PM
Hi Folks,
Long story short..........battery ran dead a few times after sitting for a week in garage (I live in NYC and park in a commercial garage). I had a few times where battery wouldnt start and figured the attendant maybe left light on or something. I replaced battery after a few run downs. The 2nd battery did the same thing. So I get the Optima Yellow Top and have the amps on my '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 checked while it is off. It comes out to a very low and healthy .022. The Optima Yellow Top (3rd) battery was dead this morning. What else am I not looking at? NO drainage at off so why the dead battery? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mad Mike

OverkillZJ
12-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Sounds like you might have a charging problem. Possibly a bad ground somewhere, or an under-performing alternator.

nate
12-16-2004, 07:39 PM
Stop by a Sears Auto Center and they can test your battery/charging system for $10.

NYC Mad Mike
12-19-2004, 02:03 AM
I can test it myself for $0.

Mad Mike

OverkillZJ
12-19-2004, 12:06 PM
Or Autozone / Advance / some Napa's for free too.

nate
12-19-2004, 01:07 PM
OK, I guess I'm supposed to guess that you have the kind of equipment? As for Napa, etc testing, in AK they don't do that. You have to pull the alternator and bring it in, so it's not testing the whole system.

Reason why I said Sears is because that's the cheapest in AK. I had some weird stuff going on with my charging sys and everyplace I went wanted $90 to test it.

Anyhow, what are the results of the test? How is the alternator, is it charging? The battery goes dead overnight, or after a few days/weeks?

I can test it myself for $0.

Mad Mike

NYC Mad Mike
12-21-2004, 01:17 AM
Nate,
Battery goes dead in a weeks time. Alternator is fine. Charges well. If only the battery were showing excessive amps being used.....but as previosly said, it's at 15 milli amps. I saw a TSB about keyless remote draining the battery. Hmm...............

Mad Mike

MaineZJ
12-21-2004, 09:39 AM
next time, for shits and giggles - dissconnect the battery cables when you park it. see if it goes dead then

NYC Mad Mike
12-21-2004, 01:51 PM
For shit's and giggles that's been done. Good looking out.

Mad Mike

nate
12-21-2004, 04:02 PM
So with it disco'd does it go dead? I'm guessing no? There's got to be a draw on it somewhere then. How are you testing the draw?

NYC Mad Mike
12-21-2004, 04:57 PM
Testing the draw with an amp meter. My friend is a master mechanic and he is as baffled as I am. I have the use of all the gadgets in his garage. I was hoping it was a "jeep thing" and that someone knew of it. I saw a TSB that said something about remote keyless entry causing battery drainage but still dont see any draw.

Mad Mike

nate
12-21-2004, 05:07 PM
And with the amp meter you disco the battery and run the meter in line? or it's a clamp type? It seems weird to have this little milliamp draw, yet batt is dying.

NYC Mad Mike
12-21-2004, 08:46 PM
It seems weird to have this little milliamp draw, yet batt is dying.

This is exactly why I am confused. The only hypothetical thing I could think of is that something randomly starts up for some reason during the week. The Jeep is in a commercial garage and may be moved a few times by the attendant to get to another vehicle. But I have had the amp meter hooked up for 2 hours straight and it just sits at 15 milli amps. I may end up taking it to the dealership for service as one of their techs may know a secret about Jeeps. The other option would be a dash mounted master cut off switch but that would reflash the computer every time I start the vehicle. :?

Mad Mike