PDA

View Full Version : ghetto 3 link question

robselina
12-11-2004, 12:10 AM
okay, probably know the answer to this already but thought I'd start a thread 'cause I'm curious....

Heard some TJ guys recently raving about a ghetto 3-link front suspension setup. Basically they're ditching their passenger side upper control arm, beefing up the frame side of the remaining mount and running an aftermarket arm up there. They're running modified trackbars too and welding the axle tubes is of course advised.

They claim great results - reliable, flexy and stable. I've known XJ guys to break their UCA, and I'm betting our UCA mount at the unibody wouldn't be extatic about the extra load...anyone done it?

I've got the RE HD trackbar conversion ready to go on, I figure weld the axle tubes and run an RE UCA, then I'd just need to address the unibody mount. Could the upper mount take that kind of abuse? anyone done it? worth messing with?

OverkillZJ
12-11-2004, 02:07 AM
I assume they're doing it to prevent twisting / binding of the tubes. I've thought about it, but I don't like being the first of anything that could screw me (by first, I mean simply removing 1 upper front arm on Claytons kit.)

Kraqa
12-11-2004, 02:45 AM
i ran a single upper on stock axles. tore off my LCA mount almost died. lesson learned. this was with radius arms tho. i will be running only one upper again with my new step up.

flex'd a hell of alot better.

gearhead313
12-11-2004, 01:11 PM
There are 2 people in our club that run one upper in the front. They both said that its worked great for them. It flex's a lot more, and still drives just the same. They've probably had them like that for at least 3 hard wheeling trips and no probs at all.

nate
12-11-2004, 04:53 PM
Wouldn't that be 4 link with 2 lowers and 2 upper, plus trackbar? Stock is 5 link. What is consider a "link" what's attached to the axle, or to the frame?

I see where running that setup on a long arm would work good, but with short arms, is there enough flex to cause that kind of binding?

gearhead313
12-11-2004, 09:10 PM
Wouldn't that be 4 link with 2 lowers and 2 upper, plus trackbar? Stock is 5 link. What is consider a "link" what's attached to the axle, or to the frame?

I see where running that setup on a long arm would work good, but with short arms, is there enough flex to cause that kind of binding?

They call it a tri-link b/c of the number of arm pivots at the axle.

It would depend on what kinda LA setup you had in the front to determine if it would be benifical or not. LIke my RE setup with radius arms, its kinda pointless.

The one chick in out club has the 6" fabtech kit and has RIPPED the passenger side upper and lower control arm brackets off the axle... its probably the lift kit itself, but obviously it has serious binding problems... if she removed the passenger upper it might have helped it a bit, but who knows.

OverkillZJ
12-11-2004, 09:30 PM
The one chick in out club has the 6" fabtech kit and has RIPPED the passenger side upper and lower control arm brackets off the axle... its probably the lift kit itself, but obviously it has serious binding problems... if she removed the passenger upper it might have helped it a bit, but who knows.

We both know that fabtech kit sucks, she's replacing it for a reason ;)

:P

Really though, I love my Claytons kit, but I'll tell you outright that IT BINDS LIKE A BIOTCH.

I go through bushings like candy, and even twisted the UCA mount on my last axle, didn't rip off though.

robselina
12-12-2004, 11:55 PM
well I just picked up a D30HP housing yesterday. I might have to look into this afterall when I get around to swapping out the front axles (6 months + unfortunately).

RufftyTuffty
12-13-2004, 10:53 AM
okay, probably know the answer to this already but thought I'd start a thread 'cause I'm curious....

Heard some TJ guys recently raving about a ghetto 3-link front suspension setup. Basically they're ditching their passenger side upper control arm, beefing up the frame side of the remaining mount and running an aftermarket arm up there. They're running modified trackbars too and welding the axle tubes is of course advised.

They claim great results - reliable, flexy and stable. I've known XJ guys to break their UCA, and I'm betting our UCA mount at the unibody wouldn't be extatic about the extra load...anyone done it?

Ummm...Sort of like the new RK setup maybe?? :wink:

Chit....people will start running solid stock links next... :P

My 3 link workz like a charm and i see no reason for change.

~Mike

nathaniel
12-14-2004, 06:31 PM
When I saw the link the 1st thing I thought about was RK. Why because the looks of their kit is Ghetto. While they are using a smart design they still dont know how to make a real 4 link rear and the front is semi booty fab

that said it still works fine just not the way I would have designed it.

Ummm...Sort of like the new RK setup maybe?? :wink:

Chit....people will start running solid stock links next... :P

My 3 link workz like a charm and i see no reason for change.

~Mike

robselina
12-14-2004, 08:16 PM
anyone got pics of the RK setup? I checked their website (assuming we're talking about http://www.rockkrawler.com/) but didn't see any detailed info/pics of their kit....

OverkillZJ
12-14-2004, 10:17 PM
anyone got pics of the RK setup? I checked their website (assuming we're talking about http://www.rockkrawler.com/) but didn't see any detailed info/pics of their kit....

I think I've voiced my opinion of rockcrawler on every other forum that I know of, I don't need to do it here too (hint hint) :P

chadjans
12-14-2004, 11:18 PM
Ever thought about running two long uppers?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid72/p194013f992f1ba2a76939cee5fc5a001/fb7e253e.jpg

Chad

robselina
12-15-2004, 12:03 AM
Ever thought about running two long uppers?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid72/p194013f992f1ba2a76939cee5fc5a001/fb7e253e.jpg

Chad

LOL, thought about it but don't want to. Really not convinced long arms are superior off road. I'm one stubborn asshole on this one. If I was going to do anything major to my suspension I'd actually go back to leafs. :twisted:

Kraqa
12-15-2004, 12:04 AM
I think I've voiced my opinion of rockcrawler on every other forum that I know of, I don't need to do it here too (hint hint) :P

what are you talking about?? i was thinking of getting it for my ZJ. I don't like the look of my squar arms. solid round stock is so much better.

OverkillZJ
12-15-2004, 12:11 AM

what are you talking about?? i was thinking of getting it for my ZJ. I don't like the look of my squar arms. solid round stock is so much better.

....That's it, I'm gonna ban you for that :lol:

chadjans
12-15-2004, 01:59 AM
If I was going to do anything major to my suspension I'd actually go back to leafs. :twisted:

Lame

Kraqa
12-15-2004, 02:36 AM
just a little tid bit. \

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=392782#post392782

robselina
12-15-2004, 12:09 PM
If I was going to do anything major to my suspension I'd actually go back to leafs. :twisted:

Lame

have you ever wheeled a well setup leaf sprung rig? Aside from my departure angle, I have no issues with my leaf sprung rig and I'll have that problem either way with the grand....my ZJ flexes less, has more body roll and is generally less stable and twitchy. leafs are old school but they farkin' work.

gearhead313
12-15-2004, 01:17 PM
leafs are old school but they farkin' work.

i definitly agree...IF they are setup right.