PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Overdrive Question

robselina
12-10-2004, 11:42 PM
Okay, pretty dumb question, but is there an easy way to change the default overdrive setting on the trans? (95 5.2L with the 46RH). I'm betting it's set in the computer, but thought I'd check.....

My garage will FINALLY be here on Monday, so the grand should be parked in it by Friday. I'll be finishing up the 8.8, reworking the suspension a little bit (going to 4") and doing some fender trimming while I'm at it. New tires will be on by new year.

Anyway, 3.73s and 33s or 35s (still mulling it over), either way I'm going to be running around with the OD off since I'm high altitude, high mileage, and the 5.2L isn't that happy with 32s already. Obviously I can just hit the OD switch whenever I get in the vehicle, but the wife doesn't remember things like that so she drives to town with the transmission shifting up and down the whole damn way causing unnecessary wear on the tranny. Anyway to set the default setting for the OD to off?

nate
12-11-2004, 04:09 PM
I had looked into that a while back and I was told it was a function of the PCM and couldn't easily be done. The switch is a momentary on/off and is reset everytime the ignition is shut off. Would be nice to have a switch that would stay on off. Most of the driving I do is town and it's quite annoying when O/D kicks in doing 30-35mph.

Maybe someone that knows a thing or two about electronics could come up with something?

gearhead313
12-11-2004, 09:11 PM
is there a plug on the tranny that you could just unplug or something for the OD?

OverkillZJ
12-11-2004, 09:31 PM
is there a plug on the tranny that you could just unplug or something for the OD?

Good question. I also assume there's some wire that has to activeat OD at some point, what about a "static" OD kill switch? Break out the schematics!

robselina
12-12-2004, 11:54 PM
I had looked into that a while back and I was told it was a function of the PCM and couldn't easily be done.

That's what I figured but thought I'd ask. The momentary switch on the dash sort of implies that, but I was hopeful there was some jumper or something that may bypass it. Overkill may be onto something about a switch on the activation line, though it's probably internal to the trans. If I get motivated I'll look into it :lol:

Jim311
12-13-2004, 02:00 AM
Tell her to DEAL WITH IT!

:D