PDA

View Full Version : Help... Land use gurus PLEASE!

Trancezj
12-10-2004, 01:01 PM
If possible, can this stay here for a little while because I'd like it to get some traffic.

if not cool

anyway, a group from a local shop got tickets out the ass for riding in Globe NC. thsi is a local spot that we all love, I've posted tons of pictures and that place is the reason for 11ty% of my breakage. It's simply awsome. Best wheeling around. We had no idea that we weren't suppose to be there. It's federal property, and I thought it was cool as long as trucks were street legal.
What I want to know is, do I have any kind of leg to stand on? Is there anything that can be done? I'm willing to really dedicate myself to doing this. Hell I'm screwed huH?

LouisianaZJ
12-10-2004, 01:22 PM
who was handing out the tickets? local cops, staties, rangers?
trespassing tickets or what?

i think the first thing you should do is find out who owns the property (city hall) and talk to the owner or agency in charge of it.

Trancezj
12-10-2004, 01:30 PM
who was handing out the tickets? local cops, staties, rangers?
trespassing tickets or what?

i think the first thing you should do is find out who owns the property (city hall) and talk to the owner or agency in charge of it.
Rangers. So I should start with the city hall?

LouisianaZJ
12-10-2004, 01:37 PM
yeah, at least try to find who officially owns the stuff on paper

since they were rangers tho, i would assume it is definately federal land....

JeepinHank
12-10-2004, 02:01 PM
If its under federal jurisdiction, you're going to have a heck of a time getting it opened up.

You're going to have to start by doing some research. See what the history of the land is. See who actually owns it. It may be that it was once open for riding, and got shut down for some reason or another. Look into why it was shut down, if that is in fact the case (mis-use, wildlife / conservation, liability issues). If its the natural habitat of an endangered spotted peckered screech owl, you're fawked. Go talk to the forest service, especially if you've got a good Ranger in the area. Obviously not the one who handed out all of the tickets. They should have a knowledge of what kind of approach you could possibly take.

Maybe talk with the folks at city hall. I know the Boone area is a winter tourism spot for skiing. Maybe take the approach of this being a summer supplement to the winter tourism.... Check out that post about Harlan County in Kentucky (in the land use section). They got a lot of old coal mining areas opened up for wheeling through an economic development approach. If you've got some area politicians on your side, you may have a bit more clout with the gov't. You know - right now you're just a bunch of kids that probably don't even vote (talking aobut a stereotype here, not calling you out or anything), but add a couple of politicians with some loyal constituents, and its a whole `nother ball game.

Also, if you really want to pursue this - maybe contact some of the associations - UFWDA and SFWDA come to mind right off. Do your research first, and see what you can find out.

Hank

Trancezj
12-10-2004, 02:09 PM
If its under federal jurisdiction, you're going to have a heck of a time getting it opened up.

You're going to have to start by doing some research. See what the history of the land is. See who actually owns it. It may be that it was once open for riding, and got shut down for some reason or another. Look into why it was shut down, if that is in fact the case (mis-use, wildlife / conservation, liability issues). If its the natural habitat of an endangered spotted peckered screech owl, you're fawked. Go talk to the forest service, especially if you've got a good Ranger in the area. Obviously not the one who handed out all of the tickets. They should have a knowledge of what kind of approach you could possibly take.

Maybe talk with the folks at city hall. I know the Boone area is a winter tourism spot for skiing. Maybe take the approach of this being a summer supplement to the winter tourism.... Check out that post about Harlan County in Kentucky (in the land use section). They got a lot of old coal mining areas opened up for wheeling through an economic development approach. If you've got some area politicians on your side, you may have a bit more clout with the gov't. You know - right now you're just a bunch of kids that probably don't even vote (talking aobut a stereotype here, not calling you out or anything), but add a couple of politicians with some loyal constituents, and its a whole `nother ball game.

Also, if you really want to pursue this - maybe contact some of the associations - UFWDA and SFWDA come to mind right off. Do your research first, and see what you can find out.

Hank
the SFWDA will be up their ass in no time. LOL, it's a pretty big riding spot. Something has happened here, and I wanna know what. It's no secret we've been riding there for years. The Carolina trail blazers ride there a few times a year a long with other clubs associated with the SFWDA. I mean, we ride straight through YUPPY central Blowing Rock and everyone stares. If they didn't know, then they've been sleeping.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
12-10-2004, 04:07 PM
WTF?! Globe illegal?! now thats ridiculous, why would they just start handing out tickets now? that place has been wheeled for the past several years.

ATL ZJ
12-10-2004, 04:25 PM
Please do everything you possibly can. I've seen your pics and it looks like an awesome spot to wheel. In GA, we have lost two trails in the past year or two. Rich Mountain and Amicalola Falls are now closed. Once a trail closes, it gets a lot harder to get it back open. Good luck and maybe get a bunch of local people together with petitions in addition to talking to anyone who might have even the slightest bit of pull. Every little bit helps.

Cody
12-10-2004, 04:26 PM
If you can prove that the road you were on was on a map and in existance since 1994 (or is it just 7 years?), they can't close it. RS2477. Unless said road causes damage to watershed, vital habitat, etc.....kind of a tricky issue.

email Kurt from cruiseroutfitters (kurt@cruiseroutfitters.com) He's the most knowledgable person I've ever met when it comes to land use issues.

He can tell you what rights you have and who to talk with.

Cody

OverkillZJ
12-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Giving this one last BTT and moving the thead itself to the Land Use forum (since I guess that's why Dave created it ;)). I'm leaving a link from the chit chat forum.

Matt

Trancezj
12-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Giving this one last BTT and moving the thead itself to the Land Use forum (since I guess that's why Dave created it ;)). I'm leaving a link from the chit chat forum.

Matt
Thanks.. It spent enough time in chit chat.

ATL ZJ
01-27-2005, 03:48 PM
How did this come out?

StinkoMan20X6_
11-12-2005, 08:26 PM
I know this is an old thread and this is old news. And since Trance is parting his rig, I'm pretty sure that so far things aren't going well, but I found this link: http://www.arra-access.com/arra/summary_forestservicerule.html?member_key=e6ikbb49 5t85nk

It describing some new law/rule passed about OHV areas. It seems that even though the areas that were closed by the feds that TranceZJ is talking about, aren't required to be reconsidered for opening, they might do it anyway if the proper route is taken. Did anybody ever figure out why they decided to close this area anyway (globe)? I'd like to check it out specifically because I've never been there.