PDA

View Full Version : Dash Winch Control

nate
12-09-2004, 01:13 PM
I'm looking at setting up a switch in the Jeep so I can run the winch without using the controller.

There's a writeup ON NAGCA, though I'm a bit confused. They are saying that since the ground on the relays is switched you need to install an on/off switch. I don't understand why. What I'm thinking is if I didn't do that, the plug in controller wouldn't work.. does that sound right?
Here is the schematic:
http://nagca.com/grandtech/Tech%20Photos/relaypack.jpg

OverkillZJ
12-09-2004, 02:21 PM
I didn't spend that much time looking at the schematic, but as far as the ground goes, I don't see a reason for it to be there either?

RufftyTuffty
12-09-2004, 02:39 PM
I find the in-cab winch switch really handy...IMO.

All i/we ended up doing was feeding the Warn control cable through the firewall and zip tie the plug into the winch.

Then take off the handle of the winch controller...so only the switch and face plate remains. Then cut a hole for the switch face plate and screw it down using the two screws in the face plate.

No Wiring, No mods.....No hassle.....and of course no out side controller :wink:

Also, this is not 'hard wired' so if it craps out on you....you can still try a buddies controller....with a simple cut of a zip tie.

Need pics?

~Mike

Cue-Ball
12-09-2004, 03:34 PM
What I did is just relocate the plug from the winch control solenoid and installed it where the lighter plug is on the dash. Now I just take my handheld controller and plug it into the spot on the dash. The cable is plenty long to stand out at the winch and still be fine.

Looks sweet.

I also moved the control solenoid away from the winch and made a bracket to mount it in the engine compartment, really helped to clean up the front end of my Jeep.

chadjans
12-09-2004, 10:09 PM
IMHO a winch controller should be hand held. The one holding the rope or cable should also be the one using the controller. Too easy to just say hey spool this rope in as I control it from inside. Seen a few hands eaten by winches.

Chad

OverkillZJ
12-09-2004, 11:10 PM
IMHO a winch controller should be hand held. The one holding the rope or cable should also be the one using the controller. Too easy to just say hey spool this rope in as I control it from inside. Seen a few hands eaten by winches.

Chad

I agree while unspooling the winch and rigging it up, but when actually winching on the obsticle, I think it's best to feather the throttle as well as the winch controller at once, by the driver. More control.

nate
12-10-2004, 07:24 AM
Yeah I was thinking I could run the controller into the cab. The thing is then I can't bring it outside with me like when I'm respooling cable. Would be nice to have both.

What I do normally is just throw the controller on the dash, wire runs threw the window, on the hood and to the winch. Works just fine that way, but the in dash control is pretty cool. Gotta have the bling bling ya know? :roll:

I found this page: http://www.kwanms.com

For $100, winch and throttle control. Kills 2 birds with 1 stone and it's pretty simple.

gearhead313
12-10-2004, 10:18 AM
I'm going to be getting the key fobb wireless for my 12k ramsey :twisted:

OverkillZJ
12-10-2004, 11:57 AM
I'm going to be getting the key fobb wireless for my 12k ramsey :twisted:

Buy mine, I hated it. Just another thing to go wrong. I think I have MileMarkers version.

gearhead313
12-10-2004, 02:21 PM
ummnothanks... I'm probably going get the real ramsey one thats like 150$ for hte whole setup.

KsZJ
12-10-2004, 04:14 PM
The sad part is... I can build one out of an aftermarket keyless entry for less than $50. Twice the range and more outputs I can hook to crap like lights. I have outputs on my alarm I could use a well. It's just an RF reciever with validity outputs to trigger the solenoids when you have a button pressed.

-J

Swamp boy
12-12-2004, 10:38 PM
I did almost the same as RUffy I pulled the switch itself out of the handle and wired it on the center console .. But I ran the wires thru the housing into the case >>. So I can still plug a winch control in..

Got a spare on EBay for $20 a while back.. :D

bigrubbers4x4
12-16-2004, 12:59 AM
overkill, how much you want for the wireless kit for the milemarker? i would like to get one for my milemarker. let me know.

nate
12-16-2004, 06:30 PM
PMing him probably would work better. :D

aczj
08-17-2005, 03:30 PM
I have both a dash mount and tether control. When using the tether I just plug it into the winch. When using the dash I unplug the tether and plug in the wire running to my dash switches. No need for an arming switch.

OverkillZJ
08-17-2005, 05:17 PM
I have both a dash mount and tether control. When using the tether I just plug it into the winch. When using the dash I unplug the tether and plug in the wire running to my dash switches. No need for an arming switch.

Seems to defeat the purpose of the dash winch control then :weedman:

aczj
08-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Seems to defeat the purpose of the dash winch control then

Not sure how it defeats the purpose. I have dash controls when I want and tether controls when I want. I thought about wiring both fulltime but what's the point, I'm only gonna use one at a time. Works very well.

OverkillZJ
08-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Seems to defeat the purpose of the dash winch control then

Not sure how it defeats the purpose. I have dash controls when I want and tether controls when I want. I thought about wiring both fulltime but what's the point, I'm only gonna use one at a time. Works very well.

What's the point of a dash winch control if you have to get out and plug it in? Or if you leave it plugged in all the time, you have no safety. Seems like you might as well be plugging in the teather and running it through the window anyway if that's the case :weedman:

aczj
08-19-2005, 08:30 AM
What's the point of a dash winch control if you have to get out and plug it in? Or if you leave it plugged in all the time, you have no safety. Seems like you might as well be plugging in the teather and running it through the window anyway if that's the case

If I have a spotter working the winch then they can control. If I'm alone using it then I can use the tether while I set it up and in cab when I jump in. My winch is also mounted on receiver plate. The tether also alows use on vehicles that don't have the dash controls wired. Also a redundant system, if one setup goes down I still have controls.