PDA

View Full Version : Question for you folks who've converted a Vac Disco HP 30

JeepinHank
12-09-2004, 11:10 AM
For any one that has converted a vac disco axle to non-vac:

What kind of seal did you use when you replaced the 2 piece shaft? I was planning to just use a long shaft from a non-vac dana 30, but I noticed the seals are going to be different. There's no place inside the (vac disco) HP 30 housing to install a seal, and the diameter is different between the vac disco and non vac disco shafts (at least where the seal mates). Does anyone have a part number for a seal that will work? What approach did you use?

Any other ideas / suggestions?

If I can't come up with anything, I'll probably just keep the two piece shaft and convert it to a cable disconnect similar to the 4x4 posi lock setup. I was just wanting to get an opinion from some of you guys who have been here before...

TIA

Hank

Cue-Ball
12-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Hank,

Call up Randy's ring & pinion and ask them. I got my kit from them I think it was like $20-25, and they knew EXACTLY what I was talking about.

Has some seals, a plate to block off the opening, and a gasket.

I have not yet put it in but looks to be everything that is needed.

LouisianaZJ
12-09-2004, 02:02 PM
Hank,

Call up Randy's ring & pinion and ask them. I got my kit from them I think it was like $20-25, and they knew EXACTLY what I was talking about.

Has some seals, a plate to block off the opening, and a gasket.

I have not yet put it in but looks to be everything that is needed.
x2

JeepinHank
12-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Cue,

Thanks for the info. Since you haven't installed the kit yet, would you mind getting the part numbers off of those seals? I can figure out which one it is by checking them against what I've already got installed.

I've already got a block off plate cut out, and all of my other seals are taken care of... All I need is that one seal. If there's not a number on it, I'll try to give Randy's a call and see if I can just buy that seal. Just figured I'd see if I can just get the # from you before hand - maybe I can pick it up or order it though NAPA or some place local.

Thanks

Cue-Ball
12-09-2004, 07:22 PM
I will take a look tonight when I get home and see if there is anything on it, but you might be better off giving Randy's a call and maybe they can get you just the seal you need.

JeepinHank
12-10-2004, 03:54 PM
Found the PN for the seal YJ guys use when using a TJ pass. side axle shaft:

Manufacturer: Chicago Rawhide

Part Number: CR 11800

Now I just need to figure out where I can get it.... I'll try NAPA this weekend if they're open, or Monday.