PDA

View Full Version : From bad to worse

notsofun
12-07-2004, 11:53 AM
Well the jeep has been a bitch lately. I was having trouble with high oil pressure and a rough idle. I figured that part of this could be solved with a tuneup (plugs, oil and filter, and CCC) well this was a big mistake, after doing all of this work, I turn it on and the thing is idling really bad. So I shut it off and restart it again and it couldn't even turn on it would come on try to idle and shut off. Now I did the CCC right and I know I gapped my plugs right so did I accidently kill the TPS when doing the CCC or is something else wrong?

Alaska ZJ
12-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Well the jeep has been a bitch lately. I was having trouble with high oil pressure and a rough idle. I figured that part of this could be solved with a tuneup (plugs, oil and filter, and CCC) well this was a big mistake, after doing all of this work, I turn it on and the thing is idling really bad. So I shut it off and restart it again and it couldn't even turn on it would come on try to idle and shut off. Now I did the CCC right and I know I gapped my plugs right so did I accidently kill the TPS when doing the CCC or is something else wrong?

TPS, IAC all can be damaged doing he comustion cleaner I would imagine.

notsofun
12-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Going to have to figure it out after work :(

JpRngr
12-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Did you disco the battery to reset the computer strategies? You should if you didn't. Might take a few miles of driving to set itself to the new conditions. Also, are you sure you didn't mess up the firing order when you did your tune?

Corey

JeepinHank
12-07-2004, 04:58 PM
Another possible problem:

Did you fire the engine up with the old plugs after the CCC?

If you installed your new plugs before doing this, you probably have your plugs fouled up from all of the cleaner. Pull all of the plugs, clean them up really good, and reinstall. Also, like JpRngr said, double check your firing order. I wouldn't think you messed up any of your sensors during the CCC, its probably possible, but I feel thats unlikely.

Another thing, when firing it up the first time, its going to be hard to start. Feather the gas pedal a little bit when your cranking it.

JH

notsofun
12-08-2004, 01:28 AM
Well here was the problem, the morons at kragen autoparts gave me the wrong plugs (didn't even bother to think about this at first because it threaded in fine) , so yeah a new set of plugs fixed this, but Im still having really high oil pressure while accelerating, but I suppose thats hard to confirm with electric guages.

MaineZJ
12-08-2004, 10:06 AM
how high? and is it just as high after the engine has warmed up?

gearhead313
12-08-2004, 11:38 AM
Glad you figured out the plugs were the problem... i was going to say o2 sensor...

when my rig was relativly cold, the oil pressure would always peg when accelerating. After it warmed up it normalized. I never worried about it, its probably something with the sending unit confusing it somehow at cold temps...... or you really do have mad oil pressure at low temps (if its not all the time).

gearhead313
12-08-2004, 11:41 AM

TPS, IAC all can be damaged doing he comustion cleaner I would imagine.

just for reference...

The TPS is a sealed sensor that runs outside the throttlebody on a cam mounted to the outside of the throttle plate. It wouldn't be affected by the CCC.

The IAC valve is located in a bypass that runs past the throttle plate. All that is exposed is the pintal part and the spring behind it that moves to regulate the idle speed. CCC getting past this would be a GOOD thing b/c it usually will get carbon gummed up in it and make it idle funny. CCC'n it will help clean any crap that is in the way of the pintal and promote better idling.