PDA

View Full Version : Action required for ZJ metal tail lights.

RufftyTuffty
12-02-2004, 02:41 PM
These XJ lights have just been posted on POR...

http://www.photostep.com/images/2/293337849.jpg

http://www.photostep.com/images/2/293341217.jpg

If you want a set of ZJ style lights custom made for your ZJ for...~$100 without the lights....email/phone DAN at BlueTorchFab NOW!!!

www.bluetorchfab.com

~Mike

speedmontzj
12-02-2004, 03:29 PM
if he needs a set of stock ones to work off of, ive been planning to make a trip down there to check out that place. i could take mine this monday.

RufftyTuffty
12-02-2004, 03:37 PM
These one's wont...they are for an XJ :)

But the post on POR says that he's interested/will make other one off's.

Also, the type of lights is down you you...i think 3 round LED's will look so cool :twisted:

speedmontzj
12-02-2004, 04:01 PM
i called. he said they need a zj to work off of. i told him i would bring my taillights by so he could see what they could come up with. so...

i will be driving down there monday dec. 6 . if you have some ideas or pics i could print and take with me POST'EM. it is a 3.5hr drive one way so i do not want to make 1o trips down there.

chadjans
12-02-2004, 04:51 PM
That brake light is gay.

Chad

speedmontzj
12-02-2004, 04:53 PM
i dont like the cross shit either. i just want some blank paintable ones.

LouisianaZJ
12-02-2004, 05:09 PM
ive seen better ones, that at least incorporated some sort of reverse light.
ill try to find a link

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/628000-628999/628206_12_full.jpg

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28764&highlight=tail+lights+metal

btw, how much do these fawkers cost?
a: $100 housings, $200 w/lites = too fawking much

i think nate c. rigged up some led's a couple yrs ago.

speedmontzj
12-02-2004, 05:22 PM
that is why i want blank ones. i want to put my own lights in'em

RufftyTuffty
12-02-2004, 08:19 PM
That brake light is gay.

Chad

BTF only makes the shell...you have to supply and install your own lights.

I'm sure rattle can black will suffice :D

RufftyTuffty
12-02-2004, 08:27 PM
http://www.buytruckstuff.com/s_product_gp.asp?selcategory=2

Lots of LED's to choose from.

~Mike

Jim311
12-03-2004, 01:38 AM
Way too OCC for me. Some round red LED's and I'd be in.

gearhead313
12-03-2004, 10:19 AM
Someday far into the future im going to make something for mine..but this thread will be old and grey by then...

OverkillZJ
12-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Way too OCC for me. Some round red LED's and I'd be in.

Agreed.

I do want metal tailights though, I'm sick of going through a set every summer.

Frankly I might just rip them out and install truck lights in the tailgate nate-style... Ugly as sin but functional, and CHEAP!

Kraqa
12-03-2004, 01:49 PM
overkill has got the right idea.

i HATE all this cro bull shit. and flames too for that mater.

"Membership is ony a T-shirt away!"

Alaska ZJ
12-03-2004, 02:44 PM
WTF do you guys still have taillights for?

gearhead313
12-03-2004, 07:17 PM
WTF do you guys still have taillights for?

that is the greatest statement i've heard on here yet :shock: :D

MaineZJ
12-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Even Rusty's has the metal XJ box thing (probably for some time now)
when my tail lights break, I'm mounting new ones in the liftgate- gotta have em to get inspected.

Kraqa
12-04-2004, 06:15 PM
[quote="Alaska ZJ"]WTF do you guys still have taillights for?[/quote
Vehicle Inspection.

RufftyTuffty
12-06-2004, 12:38 PM
i called. he said they need a zj to work off of. i told him i would bring my taillights by so he could see what they could come up with. so...

i will be driving down there monday dec. 6 . if you have some ideas or pics i could print and take with me POST'EM. it is a 3.5hr drive one way so i do not want to make 1o trips down there.

Let me know if you hooked up with BTF, they said this morning that they really WANT to make some ZJ lights as they have several orders already :D

If you didn't...i will send them an eBay light as a template.

~Mike

speedmontzj
12-07-2004, 11:52 AM
i went. took 5 hrs instead of 3.5, fawking road construction. left my taillights with them. matt or mike (something like that)said he would start working on them the end of this week. he even took us on a tour of the shop since we drove so far. when you call and a girl answers, it should make you feel better to know she really is hot.

RufftyTuffty
12-07-2004, 12:24 PM
You're da man!!!!....for a 5 hr drive, i hope your set if free :wink:

I spoke to Matt yesterday...he is their designer/detailer.

Did he give you any idea of when the prototype set will be available for pics?...maybe with the girlie holding 'em :twisted:

~Mike

speedmontzj
12-07-2004, 04:10 PM
the girl didnt strike me as the modeling kind, a little to nice. he said a couple weeks. i told him i wanted to fit atleast 1 4" round led. as soon as i see something i will post it. i doubt they will be free. he give me a ballpark but how close it will be i dont know.

Cody
12-07-2004, 07:22 PM
soo....if I do nothing, does that help prevent those ugly ass things from being made?

A iron cross tail light? Come on. Why not just put a 'aint skeered' sticker on the thing.

tacky

Cody

speedmontzj
12-07-2004, 07:58 PM
i am not a fan of the iron cross lights. i dont like west coast choppers shirts, or occ shit. the guy tried to sell me iron cross shock mounts too. i bought plain ones. matt asked me what i wanted and i told him i wanted either 1 or 2 round leds no cross. he said it just depends on how many bends it takes to make the curve in the taillight if there will be enough room for 2. i wanted atleast 1 for a brake light. i could always mount reverse lights on the bumper. if they make them on any kind of "production" level they will prob be blank. i might just end up with a shitty looking set of 1off taillights, who knows?

they also had a set of 35" pitbull (?) tires out front. looked different. i kinda liked them. price was a little high compared to swampers but not pjs or nittos. there was a set of nittos on a h2 hummer out front

RufftyTuffty
12-08-2004, 10:54 AM
soo....if I do nothing, does that help prevent those ugly ass things from being made?

A iron cross tail light? Come on. Why not just put a 'aint skeered' sticker on the thing.

tacky

Cody

Haha...that cross sure is :P

Luckly for us BTF will be offering them as blanks (no lights & holes) and several light combos (which they will cut when required)...they are making me a set for 2# 4" LED's....brake and turn....reverse is in TR bumper :)

~Mike

speedmontzj
12-15-2004, 06:44 PM
just talked to matt at btf. he is shipping me one light to make sure it fits. i should get it friday or monday. i will post some pics when i get them.

robselina
12-15-2004, 06:57 PM

tacky

Cody

Yea, these things are Ghey. And I hate to say it, but these fawkers are making me really want to get rid of my maltese cross tatoo.

speedmontzj
12-15-2004, 07:30 PM
i would prob let them burn that thing off if i had one.

RufftyTuffty
12-16-2004, 11:05 AM
just talked to matt at btf. he is shipping me one light to make sure it fits. i should get it friday or monday. i will post some pics when i get them.

Good news :D

speedmontzj
12-17-2004, 11:59 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/speedmontzj/4694c9df.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/speedmontzj/885c0c12.jpg

i had mine made with 1 hole. you can prob get them any way you want them. i will mount them and take another pic.

OverkillZJ
12-17-2004, 12:49 PM
I definately want a pic of it mounted. I'm thinking I'll just put truck-lights in them.

I'm sick of busting two tail lights a year :roll:

nate
12-17-2004, 06:00 PM
Those came out real nice. About $100 like it says on the first page of this thread?

speedmontzj
12-17-2004, 06:33 PM
no when i left my taillightrs he said something like 200.00 because of all the bends. its welded in 4 or 5 places. ill take some of the inside when i get home from fawking work.

OverkillZJ
12-17-2004, 07:38 PM
Blah, for $200, I'll figure out how to make my own :shock:

gearhead313
12-18-2004, 11:15 AM
Blah, for $200, I'll figure out how to make my own :shock:

x2 *pic*, save as...for future reference :lol:

RufftyTuffty
12-20-2004, 10:45 AM
Nice....but the top and bottom bends make it tricky to mount more lights i think they need to be flatter like the XJ one's.

Dan did say they are working on having an option for two 4" LED's.

$200 is steep...IMO but they look beefy.

Mount those bitches after spraying them black :wink: cw/ a LED.

Consider 1 set sold for $125 shipped.

~Mike

speedmontzj
12-20-2004, 12:27 PM
well i almost mounted the one he sent me. they will have to be rebuilt. the lift gate catches the bottom corner and will not shut. pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/speedmontzj/a471bc79.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/speedmontzj/19aa3029.jpg

RufftyTuffty
12-20-2004, 07:14 PM
Like i said...BTF need to loose the top & bottom bends and i think it will work.

Speed...Have you emailed Dan the pics?

~Mike

GrandZJ
12-20-2004, 07:53 PM
Definately need to loose the bends.

speedmontzj
12-21-2004, 12:01 AM
no i didnt get time today at work. i will tomorrow . i sure am glad we get a week off after christmas.

the lift gate hits the bottom as is. it we need to be bent more in or the insde of the light angled in to clear the gate.

nate
12-21-2004, 03:50 AM
Yeah if the bends were ditched, it'd follow the body lines better as well.

BMRisko
12-21-2004, 11:18 PM
Damn those are ugly. I could go whip something up right now and sell them for around $100 and make a killing. I don't see whats so hard about making them. Why does BTF try to be all big and bad and make everything look all iron-crossey, west coast chopper style? GAY!

ATL ZJ
12-22-2004, 01:00 AM
Damn those are ugly. I could go whip something up right now and sell them for around $100 and make a killing. I don't see whats so hard about making them. Why does BTF try to be all big and bad and make everything look all iron-crossey, west coast chopper style? GAY!

Agreed. What's the problem with the stock taillights? I have beat on mine (hitting trees and backing into them with other vehicles) and they don't even crack. When they do, I will either go Cannon style or mayyyyybe whip something up similar to these BTF ones. If I even have a need for taillights then.

Swamp boy
12-22-2004, 01:05 AM
Whip them up then.. Ill buy a set.. :lol:

OverkillZJ
12-22-2004, 09:55 AM

Agreed. What's the problem with the stock taillights? I have beat on mine (hitting trees and backing into them with other vehicles) and they don't even crack. When they do, I will either go Cannon style or mayyyyybe whip something up similar to these BTF ones. If I even have a need for taillights then.

I go through about 2 lights a year... We have lots of trees on the trails here.

RufftyTuffty
12-22-2004, 01:06 PM
Here ya go...we need something like this....

http://www.loose-nuts-enterprises.com/taillightbox2.JPG

or this....

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/media/exterior/rorth2_01.jpg

Swamp boy
12-22-2004, 04:29 PM
Except the top hole 4" and the bottom 2"

:lol: :lol:

ATL ZJ
12-22-2004, 05:51 PM

Maybe I need to wheel more carelessly.

OverkillZJ
12-22-2004, 07:30 PM

Maybe I need to wheel more carelessly.

Maybe you need to wheel on tighter trails and shove that attitude up your ass.

ATL ZJ
12-22-2004, 08:55 PM
Hahha maybe I do need to get back on the skinny pedal a little harder again. I am from the East so I feel ya on those tight trails with trees. Give me one year from today, I will break a taillight. We could even make a friendly bet out of this..

OverkillZJ
12-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Hahha maybe I do need to get back on the skinny pedal a little harder again. I am from the East so I feel ya on those tight trails with trees. Give me one year from today, I will break a taillight. We could even make a friendly bet out of this..

I need to get off the skinny pedal and out of the muddy tree areas. That much I know...

Swamp boy
12-22-2004, 10:08 PM
Yup . I have broken a few from sliding into trees on those tight muddy trails..

IT sucks.. But it doesnt suck $200 worth.. :lol: :lol:

Jim311
12-22-2004, 10:37 PM
I'd run trailer lights before I'd spend 200 bucks on some OCC looking shit!

:lol:

Those tight muddy trails have owned my body panels :x

OverkillZJ
12-23-2004, 01:43 AM
If it was smooth, truly followed the stock lines (Read: SHAPED LIKE A STOCK LIGHT) and had some simple, functional lights.. and no more than $70 a side... shipped... then maybe

Otherwise, I don't see them selling that many. The only crowed that will buy them is those that break them. And those that break them would be happy cutting out their tail gates for truck lights Nate style.

BMRisko
12-24-2004, 02:33 AM
I sold my ZJ w/ both taillights destroyed....and I still think those funky bent metal taillights look like ass. :D

Swamp boy
12-24-2004, 10:19 PM
I may make my own now.. I am certainly not spending $200 for them..

I will just weld some sheet metal over the back and cut out for the lights..
Thats just how I am.. :)

gsh
12-28-2004, 01:43 PM
Those are ugly. I say I don't really care how my Zj looks, but I ain't putting those on. Now if something I made myself at almost no cost looked that bad but was functional, then different story.

I'm out one taillight on this ZJ. Came close alot of times. Funny, the one that took it out was pulling my brother's plow truck out of a snow bank. He forgot to remind me that brakes were not there. He used my taillight as a brake.

I'm still in the fullsize trail rig mode. The previous one was a Big Bronco. Not many rigs need wider trails. Fitting the ZJ on these tight trails is a piece of cake compared to that.

RufftyTuffty
01-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Speed....what's the latest?

~Mike

Trancezj
01-06-2005, 01:11 PM
That's some ugly shit. That last set looks like a traffic light. Just get some trailer lights like I did. Serves the purpose and you're only out like 30 bucks.

97trxuszj
01-29-2005, 08:31 PM
check out the light I am making for the ZJ with LEDs, this is just a prototype because it is taking me so long to fabricate this one set I will be practicing a few more before I will make a limited few I would state 165 with lights + shipping and I would need your stock lights as a core if they are still intact, if they are you will pay 140+ shippign with the core. PM me or email if interested. lIf you have questions weather or not I will accept your tail light email me a pic

THANKS ANDREW

97trxuszj
01-29-2005, 08:31 PM
They are on my website link at the bottom by my SIG

OverkillZJ
01-29-2005, 08:35 PM
How's the mounting? http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/649000-649999/649067_27_full.jpg

In light of (no pun intended) how broke I am, I'm just duct taping flashlights to my rear bumper with some red celophane over them.

MaineZJ
01-29-2005, 10:17 PM
you cutting up stock units and installing LEDs? is that what the core is for?

when it gets warmer here, I'm gonna try making some metal units. If I can, I may make some other people for cheap

ATL ZJ
01-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Oh damn I thought they were metal.... Didn't realize they were just the stock ones holesawed out. Sorry bout that. Most folks are interested in this mod because the round LEDs are cheap and metal is highly rock-resistant.

97trxuszj
01-30-2005, 02:34 AM
Yea Iknowthat people want metal one but this was a cheaper route, yea stock lights is what I am holesawing out, so stock mounting like stated before thats what the cores for

MaineZJ
01-30-2005, 10:07 AM
so your taking stock lights, cutting holes in them and putting LED units in for $140 or so?

OverkillZJ
01-30-2005, 11:22 AM
so your taking stock lights, cutting holes in them and putting LED units in?

Looks like it.

What's the point? Considering this thread was started since people are cracking their plastic tailights... And you're posting about "modded" plastic tail lights...

I think I'll just ditch the tail lights and stick some LED's in my read hatch ugly-ass-cannononball style.

Jim311
01-30-2005, 02:24 PM
so your taking stock lights, cutting holes in them and putting LED units in?

Looks like it.

What's the point? Considering this thread was started since people are cracking their plastic tailights... And you're posting about "modded" plastic tail lights...

I think I'll just ditch the tail lights and stick some LED's in my read hatch ugly-ass-cannononball style.

It wouldn't look so ghetto if you at least formed some metal to cover up the hole where the stock lights used to be....

Swamp boy
01-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Where did you get the little white ones you are using for reverse lights??
I am just going to mold metal around the edge and cut the LED's in.. But I cant find any good small reverse lights..

Working on closing the whole back off.. Brake lights are all I have left..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/swampboy/Swampy%20Pics/IM003049.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/swampboy/Swampy%20Pics/IM003051.jpg

MaineZJ
01-30-2005, 09:50 PM
after a few pages of google:

http://www.buytruckstuff.com/ledlights.htm

97trxuszj
01-31-2005, 03:15 PM
hey swamp boy: I am a diesel Mechanic and the local big rig shop here with my disco its like 5 bucks a light for the reverse ones like 1200 for the little blinker and 29.50 for the 56 LED 4" round ones let me know I can get them for you if you want

Swamp boy
01-31-2005, 11:41 PM
What size are the revers lights?? I am looking for something like 2.5" I just dont want 4" round reverse lights... They will be huge.. :lol:

I have a good set of 4" for brake and blinker..

Thanks..
Carl

speedmontzj
02-01-2005, 01:11 AM
Speed....what's the latest?

~Mike

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/speedmontzj/b21222d4.jpg
i cut the upper mount off and welded on a new 1. done some reshaping of the upper right hand corner, and marked the new mounting locations. i shipped them back i guess maybe 2-3 weeks ago. i had to go under the knife this past monday so he could have called or emailed me at work and i would not know . he said he would make some new ones and send them 2 me . i will keep you up to speed with any new developments. :shock:

that pic is after the new mount and the first hammer beating. it looked a little better after some heat and a little more hammer. i have some different angle if you want to see them. i do not know if the second set will fit the body better or what but we will see.

RufftyTuffty
02-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Thx for the update Speedster :D

Looks better...the side profile is passable now....but the light mounting surface and the bottom mitre angle i think needs to be FLAT

See what Dan comes up with.

~Mike

Chris J.
11-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Is anyone actually producing a ZJ light like this? BTF is not, but they said someone is...but did not know who...

canadian_driver
11-14-2006, 01:03 PM
maybe because this thread is almost 3 years old

Chris J.
11-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Riiiiiiiight. I just figured maybe someone might know. BTF is one of my customers, and they told me (YESTERDAY) that someone is producing them.