PDA

View Full Version : Ever tried to drill a hole through glass?

JeepinHank
11-30-2004, 04:25 PM
No, this is not jeep related in any way, shape or form, but I figured maybe some of you guys can relate.

My mom has gotten some kind of crazy idea for a Christmas craft she wants to do. The project involves drilling a hole through the side of a wine bottle. My dad, sensing the impending fiasco, tried to convince her to take it to a local glass shop and have them do it, but, instead, my mom went out and bought a glass/tile drill bit and gave it to my dad. To get to the point, since I'm the family shop rat, I've been drafted - bottle and bit in hand.

I've never even attempted to drill glass, so this is all uncharted territory for me. Here's my plan so far:
I'll be drilling this on my drill press, the max RPMs recommended on the bit is 350. I'm pretty sure I can slow my press down to that. I figure I'll pad my vise with a towel or something, do my best to lock it in place, and go for it.

I'm basically just concerned with lubrication. I know glass is pretty sensitive to temp changes, but I'm not sure how much heat I'll generate while drilling. Should I attempt to lubricate the drill bit / glass, and if so, what should I use?

Anyone? Bueller.... Bueller....

Cue-Ball
11-30-2004, 04:29 PM
Just be SURE to wear some saftey glasses with this procedure!!!

OverkillZJ
11-30-2004, 04:40 PM
I know nothing of it... but I be your right about slow, and safety glasses...

But do tell, what the hell is your mom trying to do?

JeepinHank
11-30-2004, 05:16 PM
I know nothing of it... but I be your right about slow, and safety glasses...

But do tell, what the hell is your mom trying to do?

All I know is its not a bong, and it has something to do with putting Christmas lights in the bottle.

speedmontzj
11-30-2004, 05:46 PM
well, take a hand torch(propane or mapp) heat it in one spot till its red and melting. blow into the glass and it will blow out the spot that is red. that is the way i used to make pipes in my wilder (sleepless) days.

GrandZJ
11-30-2004, 05:53 PM
Just use a masonary bit and you shouldn't have a problem.

Shawn

JeepinHank
11-30-2004, 06:43 PM
Well... I'll give it a try tonight. I already have the glass/tile bit, so that's what I'll be using. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Matt - if I ever find out what the finished product actually is, I'll try to snap a pic or two and post here.

I'm kinda wondering myself what she's got in mind...

OverkillZJ
11-30-2004, 06:48 PM
Matt - if I ever find out what the finished product actually is, I'll try to snap a pic or two and post here.

I'm kinda wondering myself what she's got in mind...

It's a BONG! She just doesn't want to admit that she has a problem ;)

JeepinHank
11-30-2004, 07:24 PM
lol I know you're kidding, but whenever my dad handed me the bottle and said, "drill a hole here," I did raise an eyebrow. If she's smokin dope, after all of the "Where are you going", "Who are you going to be with", "When are you going to be back," "Let me see your eyes", "You've been drinking," etc. when I was in high school, I'm gonna beat her arse. My mom IS the anti-drug. She's a sixth grade teacher, who has been teaching long enough to start getting the some of the screwed up (being really really nice) kids of some of her former (screwed up) students. Scary stuff. :(

She must have done something right though - I turned out alright. :?

OK OK, but I still could have turned out a lot worse. :P

Jim311
11-30-2004, 08:39 PM
"Drill a hole in this bottle. And pick up some Cheetos on the way home."

Pearce
11-30-2004, 09:18 PM
the vodka bottle kept breaking for us? :?

:lol:

gsh
12-01-2004, 02:38 AM
Sorry, I didn't catch this earlier. I have not drilled glass, but I remember seeing something somewhere (maybe some old issue of Popular Mechanics). You're right on the lubrication. Get some putty and form a circular dam around where you will be drilling. That wil hold a resevior of lube. Not sure what oil would be best, but I'd try a light machine oil. Maybe even mineral based.

JeepinHank
12-01-2004, 11:17 AM
Well, I got it drilled last night.

I didn't use any kind of lubricant. I should have, but I wasn't sure what I should use. Now that I think of it, I bet some soapy water would have been perfect. I took it slow and only used light/moderate pressure.

The hardest part was holding the bottle in position. I ended up using a couple of scrap pieces of a 4x4 post to keep the bottle centered, and used an old t-shirt to insulate/protect it.

Here's the packaging for the bit I used:
http://www.lewis-lewis-cpas.com/Jeepin/URE_2004_11_28/DSCF0400.JPG

Finished on the press:
http://www.lewis-lewis-cpas.com/Jeepin/URE_2004_11_28/DSCF0399.JPG

Bottle in hand - notice how thick that wine bottle was:
http://www.lewis-lewis-cpas.com/Jeepin/URE_2004_11_28/DSCF0398.JPG

For anyone who's curious, my mom's going to be lining the bottle with a strand of white chirstmas lights, and then decorating the outside with beads and/or paint as if it was a christmas tree. Something she saw at a craft fair.

Thanks for the input ya'll

Pearce
12-01-2004, 01:58 PM
You could put a nice bowl in that big a hole.............

Alaska ZJ
12-01-2004, 04:30 PM
you need to clip your fingernails.

JeepinHank
12-01-2004, 05:31 PM
you need to clip your fingernails.

lol - I've been in "painting mode" lately. Sometimes I prefer the original scraping tools. Plus, its easier to just trim the nails after I'm done painting than to try to clean under trimmed nails all the time.

Just about finished up with half of my wife's Christmas present. Whatcha think?

http://www.lewis-lewis-cpas.com/Jeepin/URE_2004_11_28/DSCF0402.JPG

The other one is prepped and ready for paint. Then sand and put a stain and finish on both tops. Two or three more gifts to get out of the shop, and its finally open for the Jeep again. :twisted:

Then again, stuff like this really helps to justify the welder. :wink:

Kraqa
12-02-2004, 03:24 PM
too bad i didn't see this earlier.

i'v made many Bongs out of glass bottles many of which include drilling them with the same type of drill bit. I can see you figured it out. just don't apply heat to the area for some reason that makes the bottles explod.