PDA

View Full Version : Auto Tap

nate
11-30-2004, 02:03 PM
autotap.com
Any of you guys use this? It's pretty much the same cost of a code reader, and it also will show you alot of the parameters, kinda sorta like the Snappy scanner does. I looked at getting the Snap On scanner, though it's pretty spendy. On ebay, looking at around $500 for a decent used one with a couple cartridges.

gearhead313
12-01-2004, 12:17 AM
I have a very similar program on my laptop and its way better than any cheap handheld scantool.

nate
12-01-2004, 02:31 AM
What program do you have. I had one I bought for around $90, forget the name, but it wouldn't work half the time so I returned it. Hoping this Auto Tap one would be better.

OverkillZJ
12-01-2004, 05:37 AM
I know I told you this off-list, but I thought I'd throw it in here for the archives.

I have the older version of AutoTap and it's saved my butt several timse. Sometimes you have to reload the paramaters, as it'll read half or 1/4, there seems to be some mathmateical error in the software. Mines 3 years old though.

New version is supposed to be the shiznit, but I haven't used it life myself, only the demo version. They changed the hardware too.

nate
12-01-2004, 10:51 PM
I think I'm going to order it and see how it works out. I priced the Snap On scanner, and I'm looking at the $500-600 price range for used ones off eBay... a little too expensive for me.
I already have a laptop, so that's taken care of. Maybe mount it in the Jeep and make it my GPS screen, MP3 player, etc.

OverkillZJ
12-02-2004, 12:32 AM
I think I'm going to order it and see how it works out. I priced the Snap On scanner, and I'm looking at the $500-600 price range for used ones off eBay... a little too expensive for me.
I already have a laptop, so that's taken care of. Maybe mount it in the Jeep and make it my GPS screen, MP3 player, etc.

Be careful with laptop mounting, I do it becuase I roll many laptops through my office a year.. I keep destroying them on the trail. DO NOT use a good laptop in your jeep, even with it mounted and the screen supported. They don't like the movement, shock, dust, etc...

The one in the phoeinix pics had its screen ripped off by the end of that trip...

Jim311
12-02-2004, 01:19 AM
You could always pick up a cheapo off Ebay... a 750 mhz jobber that would be great for the trail. That's what I used to do. Ended up selling it though.

nate
12-02-2004, 03:51 AM
The laptop I have is a PIII 600Mhz. I'm not too worried about it, though I'd rather it not break still.