PDA

View Full Version : d44 r&p set up help?

chopshop
11-30-2004, 12:00 PM
I've run into a problem setting up an xj d44 for my Grand.

I borrowed set up bearing from the local shop, and got the thing set up really well, near perfect contact pattern, and .007 backlash. (I like it a spec tight.)

So I press on the new carrier bearings, after adding .003" per side for bearing preload, and the carrier just plopped right in the housing.

By sticking left over inner pinion shims between the carrier bearings and housing, I see I need to add at least .020 more shim just to make up the preload. Needless to say, the backlash and contact pattern are now totally wrong.

Where do I go from here. I'd like not to wreck the brand new bearings.....

The set up and new bearing are different brands, if that matters. Carrier is a used Detroit, and r&p is Quality gear, new 4.10's.

thx.

JpRngr
11-30-2004, 04:21 PM
This is the reason I DON'T use set-up bearings. I've had similar problems in the past with them. Best bet would to try and get a set of bearings that are the same brand as the set up bearings and go from there.

FWIW, I bought a sweet bearing puller set-up from Randy's R&P that I use instead of set-up bearings. It removes the bearings without fucking them up like most pullers. It cost around $300, but is well worth it if you're going to do more than one set of gears.

Corey

Troy
11-30-2004, 09:43 PM
FWIW, I bought a sweet bearing puller set-up from Randy's R&P that I use instead of set-up bearings. It removes the bearings without fucking them up like most pullers. It cost around $300, but is well worth it if you're going to do more than one set of gears.

Agreed... you need a good bearing puller or another set of bearings (for when you cut off the existing bearings).

My friend that's always set up my gears (and many many others) always used a timken that he ground down to use as a set-up.

gearhead313
12-01-2004, 12:05 AM
I've gotten it down to less then 3 trys usually to get it perfect. Just get a good puller and pull the bearing off real careful. If the setup bearings are that much different, thats what you'll have to do. If you are careful, you wont damage them. the last one i did i tryed 3 times before i got it right in a TJ 44 and its been good since.

Krash80
12-04-2004, 02:30 AM
ditto on the puller from Randy's. A lot of places have gear pullers you can rent or buy, but the one from Randy's is a FAR superior design to any other bearing puller i've ever seen. Even if you aren't setting up more than a couple sets of gears, try to get a friend to buy it w/ you...it's one of those tools that pays for itself the first time you need it because nothing else will do.

-Ron-

nate
12-04-2004, 09:43 AM
The Randy's puller, is it a bearing knife, or something speical?

http://i18.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/ef/2b/b1_1_b.JPG

JpRngr
12-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Definitely NOT what you showed. Those things definitely kill bearings. See if this shows up.

http://www.randysringandpinion.com/images/Tools.jpg

If not, check out this page, it'll be in the upper right.

http://www.randysringandpinion.com/default.asp?pid=6&pageid=80

Corey

nate
12-06-2004, 10:35 AM
What's the price on that?

I'm thinking of going to 4.88s with the 8.8 and a HP30... thinking of doing it myself. I've helped with a few R&P setups, so it's not completely new to me. Just don't have all the tools right now.

The knife is what we used, granted the old carrier bearings got thrown out. As long at the knife is against the inner race, I don't see how it would damage the bearing.

JpRngr
12-06-2004, 09:25 PM
The main difference between this one and the knife one is how they pull the bearing. With the knife one, you end up using the cage to pull the bearing as it's nearly impossible to get it under the race. With the Randy's one, it uses the outer race to hold the bearings together and you end up pulling the rollers up against the inner race to pull the bearing.
That being said, it ain't cheap, somewhere in the $3-400 range. But if you are planning to do more than one set, it's worth it. Or talk a buddy into going halves on it. If you do end up getting it, e-mail me and I can tell you how to use it as it comes with no directions. I screwed up a bearing before figuring out how to use it properly. Since figuring it out, I have had zero problems.

Corey