PDA

View Full Version : Onboard air solutions?

Jim311
11-21-2004, 11:54 PM
Onboard air is slowly becoming a necessity for me. Unfortunately, I am unaware of any kits to add onboard air to the 5.2 motor, at least while retaining the factory air conditioning. CO2 would probably be the simplest option, but I don't like the limited capacity. Other than C02, or losing my factory AC (which I don't want to do) what are my other options? Are there any electric compressors that even come anywhere close to comparing with what a York could put out? A York can put out 8+ CFM, correct? Does anyone know of any bracket kits to mount a York compressor in addition to my factory AC compressor, or perhaps an adaptor kit to take advantage of the factory compressor and still retain usage of it?

What I'll most likely be running is smaller air tools, and inflating tires, love dolls, spare tires, etc.

Kraqa
11-22-2004, 12:09 AM
www.onboardair.com

they should have some solutions for ya

OverkillZJ
11-22-2004, 12:40 AM
What about moving the battery or the air box, and builng a bracket to run a sanden or a york? There'd definately be room. I have both of those areas open, just trying to pick where I'm gonna put the york...

Jim311
11-22-2004, 12:56 AM
What about moving the battery or the air box, and builng a bracket to run a sanden or a york? There'd definately be room. I have both of those areas open, just trying to pick where I'm gonna put the york...

Yeah, I'm running a FIPK style setup, so there's plenty of room. But I'm not sure I'd even know how to begin fabbing up a bracket for it... what would I mount to?

Jim311
11-22-2004, 01:01 AM
www.onboardair.com

they should have some solutions for ya

They have some pretty nice electric compressors on there, but no prices on them that I can find? If it's in the 300 dollar range I might consider that option...

Nordic1
11-22-2004, 02:09 AM
*edit* delete

Nordic1
11-22-2004, 02:10 AM
I bought this off of ebay for like 180 shipped
http://www.fototime.com/%7B849D93FA-22CE-4D05-B5C6-3678690F6AFF%7D/picture.JPG
It came with an adjustable regulator, a pressure switch, a tank and a compressor (all nicely assembled together). I don't now what CFM the compressor is but it fills that little tank in a hurry. I have done a handful of field repairs and the thing works great. Obviously it won't run a cutoff grinder but it will run impacts long enough to break several bolts and spin them off before the compressor has to spool up again.

Or you can piece your own system together. Something like bolt the tank under the rear seats and bolt the compressor under the hood or in the cargo area. Then run air lines and wiring to all of the necessary areas.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
11-22-2004, 03:32 AM
I bought this off of ebay for like 180 shipped
http://www.fototime.com/%7B849D93FA-22CE-4D05-B5C6-3678690F6AFF%7D/picture.JPG
It came with an adjustable regulator, a pressure switch, a tank and a compressor (all nicely assembled together). I don't now what CFM the compressor is but it fills that little tank in a hurry. I have done a handful of field repairs and the thing works great. Obviously it won't run a cutoff grinder but it will run impacts long enough to break several bolts and spin them off before the compressor has to spool up again.

Or you can piece your own system together. Something like bolt the tank under the rear seats and bolt the compressor under the hood or in the cargo area. Then run air lines and wiring to all of the necessary areas.

sweet! :shock:

MaineZJ
11-22-2004, 08:39 AM
there is a company that sells a kit- electric motor mounted to one of the hi-capacity yorks.

Jim311
11-22-2004, 12:17 PM
there is a company that sells a kit- electric motor mounted to one of the hi-capacity yorks.

I think I've seen something like that, but if I recall they're pretty pricey, right?

Nordic1
11-22-2004, 12:25 PM
Isn't that the oasis air compressor? Aside from it being huge, I think it uses a winch motor to turn the air compressor... kinda cool but I bet it uses a TON of power to run.

On a side note... has anybody looked through like notherntool.com, sears.com, etc at the air compressors they have. They have stuff ranging from 2cfm or 40 cfm (at 150psi). Any idea if something like this would work in a York style setup.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatDsp?storeId=6970&N=87+90145&Ne=2

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=290952&R=290 952

Or super bling bling:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=42543&R=4254 3
85 cfm at 90 psi... hahahaha

MaineZJ
11-22-2004, 12:52 PM
Super bling are the rotary compressors - basically like a blower

The oasis ones aren't that big, do draw lots of power- then again, you're pushing 10CFM. Takes a lot of power to push a lot of air

the coin-o-matic pumps at gas stations- think that would be a decent compressor (taking the system apart, using the motor and pump- with a DC/AC converter?)

Jim311
11-22-2004, 04:47 PM
A guy in my club is actually using a regular home air compressor that he took apart. He runs it off a power invertor. Seems pretty ghetto to me, but he said it works well. Power consumption isn't really an issue. I won't be using it very often, and most of the time it will be just idling. I wont need to run it for long periods of time with 10 CFM either :D

JeepinHank
11-22-2004, 05:21 PM
Check out some of the low-rider setups. I've heard of a 100% duty cycle 12V compressor that puts out like 7 or 8 cfm. Something like big red or something. Anyway can't find it right now, but I know that'd probably be more than enough for me.

I'll see if I can find the link...

Jim311
11-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Check out some of the low-rider setups. I've heard of a 100% duty cycle 12V compressor that puts out like 7 or 8 cfm. Something like big red or something. Anyway can't find it right now, but I know that'd probably be more than enough for me.

I'll see if I can find the link...

7 or 8 CFM would definitely be more than enough. The impact I'll probably run won't pull much more than that.

JeepinHank
11-22-2004, 06:10 PM
I must have been imagining things. :oops:

I can't find anything on it for the life of me, and most all of the ones I have seen are measured in TENTHS of a CFM. :?

I'll ask around - I have a couple of friends that are into the LR scene, maybe I can get a name or source or something....

Jim311
11-22-2004, 08:56 PM
I must have been imagining things. :oops:

I can't find anything on it for the life of me, and most all of the ones I have seen are measured in TENTHS of a CFM. :?

I'll ask around - I have a couple of friends that are into the LR scene, maybe I can get a name or source or something....

Maybe I'll get some 15 inch tires and 100 spoke gold plated rimmz to go with it. Mad tyte.

nate
11-23-2004, 12:37 PM
Oasis Air Compressor. 8cfm at 100psi... that's better than the compressor in my garage... also 3 times the cost too!

http://www.oasis-off-road.com/trailheadAirCompressor.html

Nordic1
11-23-2004, 12:45 PM
I'd run that bleotch at 24 volts too...

16CFM@100Psi draws a current of 190 (amps? not labeled on the site)

Jim311
11-23-2004, 10:14 PM
Whew, that's mighty pricey. 850 bones! :shock:

I don't even have an air compressor for my house yet :lol:

slomatt
11-28-2004, 02:39 AM
I'm in the process of building a poor-man's version of the Oasis Trailhead compressor with a York compressor and an electric motor. I have the compressor, and am currently looking into motors. I figure I'll need a roughly 2-3 hp 12v motor, the problem is that most winch motors only have a 25% duty cycle. The big issue is going to be connecting the compressor to the motor since the york has a taperd output shaft with a key. I'll post pics as things move forward.

- Matt