PDA

View Full Version : heating the tank ?

speedmontzj
11-21-2004, 08:10 PM
anyone tried to heat the gas yank with a heat gun (or a torch if the heatgun is not hot enough) to get a lttle mpre axle clearance? the pump has been out, and the tank cleaned and dry for about 3 mths so i'm not to worried about fires so much. i was more worried about making it brittle and it cracking with vibration down the road. just like to see if anyone else has tried it and whAt the outcome was? just thought about trying it before i stick the pump bank in and reinstall it tomorrow.

LouisianaZJ
11-21-2004, 08:25 PM
i never knew this was a problem on ZJ's :?:
on WJ's i can undertand, but the ZJ tanks provide ehough room for the axle and for obstacles

Nordic1
11-21-2004, 10:15 PM
if you really need the clearance then I'd get a fuel cell.

Alaska ZJ
11-21-2004, 10:17 PM
I think it is to think and ridgid.

Hell give it a shot.

Or just punch it through the floor.

Kraqa
11-21-2004, 10:28 PM
that is another thing on my on going list. the tank comes within 1/8" of the pumkin on full stuff.

speedmontzj
11-21-2004, 11:03 PM
yeah i'm trying to finish up everything in the back so i took the springs out and did a couple test and it is close to the cover. the cover actually rubbed it but the tank is not completely up all the way liked an inch or so. i was thinking i could heat it just to bow the bottom corner in a little.

alaska i dont want to cut out the rear floor. i'm tired of working on this p.o.s. i want to be riding in this thing. all the locals are running greyrock and i'm missing out because i dont like to spectate (sp?). im to the point of cutting corners to get this thing finished and i dont like half-assing things. i had a major f-up on the coils mounts. not quite wide enough( i know, i know but my mind is not where it should be these days) so instead of cutting them off i used a torch and a big fawking hammer. may not look the best but thier bigger now. if they break off, i will set that sob on fire where it sets,

i never knew this was a problem on ZJ's
on WJ's i can undertand, but the ZJ tanks provide ehough room for the axle and for obstacles

with the boat anchor ive got everything is in the damn way.

Alaska ZJ
11-22-2004, 11:23 AM
Dude....let me give you a little advice. Don't cut to many corners. You are going to regret it in the long run.

As for the tank......I went out and looked at mine.

I think you could mold it.....Be careful though....

speedmontzj
11-29-2004, 02:37 AM
i tried it. doesnt work.

Alaska ZJ
11-29-2004, 03:07 PM
i tried it. doesnt work.

Dude....we are gonna require pictures of this.....lol. Or atleast a bit more of the details

Kraqa
11-29-2004, 03:44 PM
this thread is worthless without pics.

speedmontzj
11-29-2004, 05:04 PM
i tried a heat gun first. the outside got mushy, but it would not heat it enough all the way through to change its shape. the tank does a pretty good job of insulating the inside (gas) from heat on the outside. then i used a hand torch (mapp gas) also got the outside mushy/smokin but the tank still would not change shape. i then tried to heat a piece of tubing till it was red hot and held it against the tank, didnt work. i hit the tank with everything from a hammer to a broom stick while it was hot to try to deform it, nothing worked. if you had 2 heat guns and put one on the inside and 1 on the ouside it MIGHT work. so th e stock tank is going in undeformed.
i got a couple of pics i will trey to get posted

Jim311
11-29-2004, 10:23 PM
Sounds like a great way to blow yourself up if you don't get every last gas fume out of the tank! :lol:

speedmontzj
11-30-2004, 12:52 AM
as i said above i think. the tank has been open and dry (no pump or lines) for at least 2 months prob more like 3 or 4. so i think all the fumes would be outta there by now, although you never know. thats why i like to work by myself. :shock:

POSJEEP
12-02-2004, 12:43 PM
lol welding on an empty tank isnt so bad!
just need to have the sending unit out so when it flares up the burn is facing upwards :shock: now that was on a metal tank no need to weld the plastic ones. seems the plastic forms better with boiling water, now the question is finding a pot big enough :roll: