PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft needs to be lengthening???

Jeepinparrothead
11-16-2004, 01:30 PM
I have torn up my CV stock driveshaft. I need to replace it and I want to go the u-joint way. I found the shaft and the yoke but the "Jeep" guy at the yard said that I will be maxing out the U-joint with 3.5 or 4" of lift. So do I need to have it lengthened or what. I can do that, I know a shop that will do it for pretty cheap, but do I really need it? That is the question. I am looking for someone that has went this route with about 4" of lift and just put a stock driveshaft and yoke on with no problems.

BigDaveZJ
11-16-2004, 01:38 PM
Something tells me it might be helpful to know a little bit more! There's no blanket answer for this. What did the d-shaft come out of? What's the yoke to yoke measurement on your Jeep right now? Yoke to yoke on the drivesahft expanded and pushed together. Figure those out, then we'll know (and it should give you the answer too) whether or not it will work for you.

Jeepinparrothead
11-16-2004, 01:45 PM
Yeah I know I need some measurements. I just kinda wanted to know if anyone has just bolted up a driveshaft. I can't get measurement right now. The joint has not pulled out of anything. The joint is making some very loud ball grinding metal noises and some squeaking. It still works though I just don't want to be stuck when it does grenade. Fix it before it is broken. If you get what I mean. As soon as I have measurement I will know if the stock driveshaft will fit and this thread will mean nothing I just wanted a Yeah I was at 4" and I swapped to a U-joint style and it worked fine.

Jim311
11-16-2004, 01:50 PM
Mine made similar noises and blew up on the trail :roll:

I bought a new shaft from Tom Woods which is noisy as hell. My measurement was 31.5 inches for the shaft, and I've got the RE 4.5 SF kit. This new shaft is beefy as hell.. something else will break before the shaft will.

Jeepinparrothead
11-16-2004, 01:57 PM
What did you pay??

Tommy
11-29-2004, 10:30 PM
I have a realtively new front shaft, it had a complete service when i replaced it, and a rear as well. I can measure it for you if your are intrested?

Tommy

Jeepinparrothead
11-29-2004, 10:34 PM
Thanks man, but I already had mine done. Just a stock driveshaft from a ZJ that had one to start with worked fine. It is showing 1" of the slip but it is not bad. Thanks anyway.

Swamp boy
11-30-2004, 01:19 AM
I have the Double cardan shaft on mine and it hasnt had to be lengthened yet.. I am running somewhere around 6" and its fine...

But thats me.. I have heard others who lengthen at 3.5 :?

I dont know..

Jeepinparrothead
11-30-2004, 09:26 AM
Ya that is what I didn't know at first. I never really go a good answer so I just bolted it up and looked. It works fine. I don't think I could get it to pull apart if I tried. And ya mine has the double cardan at the tc too.