PDA

View Full Version : Need to update my toolbox

Bulldog 6
11-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Like it says, I want to update my tool box and need some input on what I should get.

What I have,
1/4 in metric sockets and extentions
1/4 in english sockets not sure I have a full set
3/8 in metric sockets normal and deep well
1/2 in metric sockets normal and deep well
limited amount of english 3/8 and 1/2 sockets

metric box end wrenches and a few english
torx driver and socket bits

Just about all listed above is Craftsman or Snap-on

various ratchets 1/4 thru 1/2 and a 1/2 18" breaker
1/4 and 3/8 swivels

various screwdrivers and nutdrivers

allens and torx wrench sets

spark plug and o2 sensor sockets

1/2 IR air impact and 1/2 Dewalt elec impact
various impact sockets

Probably missed some stuff but that is the majority of it.

If you can think of anything please let me know and why I should need it.

I have not yet bought any torque wrenches as I have not tackled anything that must be properly torqued but they are on my list to buy or I will just borrow them as needed.

Thanks in advance.

OverkillZJ
11-16-2004, 01:25 PM
I usually just wait til I either see something I can't live without, or need something in the middle of a project :D

BigDaveZJ
11-16-2004, 01:42 PM
http://www.millerwelds.com/images/products/millermatic210pkg.jpg

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_210/

Bulldog 6
11-16-2004, 01:49 PM
The welder would be nice of course knowing how to use it would be nice too. I have messed with ones at work and the welds look like grapes. Right now I got the suck in that department.

In the past I have had to run to Sears and buy stuff in the middle of a project, pisses off the wife. Trying to avoid that anymore. Been a few times that I have not been able to buy what I need til the next day cuz the store was closed.

BigDaveZJ
11-16-2004, 03:12 PM
Corey (JpRngr) has that welder, and it's super easy to use. Every bead on my Jeep that's not factory has been made with that welder, and theyve all held so far, even the ones that I made!! Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to use. I'm not that good at it yet, but my welds hold even if they look like total shit. I plan on buying one once I get my own place.

JeepinHank
11-16-2004, 03:55 PM
I had typed a bunch of stuff, then I realized it all really depends on your intended use. What are you planning on doing in terms of projects? Is this for your home tool box or trail tools? Should we assume you're going for automotive stuff or general repairs as well? How much space do you have? What do you want to spend? (You can never have enough tools. :P )

Bulldog 6
11-16-2004, 04:33 PM
Right now it is aimed at home use automotive. Tools will pull double duty and just pack a box for offroad or travel. I am new in the offroading for recreation. Been doing offroad with military for quite some time but the areas I use in training you have to be able to get a 17,000 lbs towed howitzer in and out of in a hurry. Most places we deal with you can get the HUMMVEEs and 5 tons in and out of easy unless it is has been raining.

Hank if you would please post up what your suggestions were that will be very much appreciated. I have a 2.5 car garage that rarely sees 2 cars anymore except winter. Winter wrenching is no fun so I only do it when I have to.

Price on tools I need is not an issue, price on the tools wish list IS an issue. Big ticket items I will borrow or rent as needed.

JeepinHank
11-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Now we're talking. 8) Just didn't want to type a bunch of stuff that was irrelevant to what you were asking.

Here's the partial list I had typed:

Some of my favorite old stand bys that you should have in any tool box:
Hammers:
3-4 lb sledge
dead blow
rubber mallet
assorted claw hammers (enough for all of your buddies to help you build that deck :wink: ), and at least one framing hammer.

Chisel set
Tape measure
Utility knife
carpenters pencils

If its for trail tools:
Big C-Clamp
Duct tape
Zip ties
Vise grips
set of adjustable wrenches - 6", 8", & 10"
tire repair kit (plugs, plug tools, spare valve stems, shader valves, and associated tools)
hose clamps
WD-40
bearing grease
misc nuts & bolts, self tapping sheet metal screws
electrical tape, test light, fuses, assorted electrical connectors and bulbs

If you're going to be doing any kind of fab work:
angle grinder, grinding & cutting wheels
hack saw
Good drill / Drill press - assorted high speed bits
chop saw

If you're getting into more involved auto work:
36mm socket for front hubs
BIG breaker bar - as big as you can fit in your tool box.
digital caliper
air ratchet (great time saver)
shop press
fluid transfer pump (just the little $10 from your local parts store) These things are a life saver when you're changing your diff or t-case fluid.
then there's the infinite number of specialty tools that you'll use once for a certain job, but never need again. I often find myself buying that crap just cause it would be more of a hassle to find someone to borrow it off of.

That's just what I came up with off the top of my head so forgive me if it looks more like someone's thought process took a dump.

I have a tool box check list that I go through before I head out on a camping / trail riding trip. I'll try to post that up in a bit.

LouisianaZJ
11-16-2004, 06:38 PM
for the jeep i waited till i saw a craftsman 130 piece metric/SAE tool set on sale for like $80, then i got a full set of 24 SAE + metric open end wrenches ($20) and a set of torx bits, 1 1/8" socket? might be 1 1/4" for pinion nut, and a breaker bar.
also carry a TRE puller, paper towels, and a screw drivers and box cutter, tape measure

at the garge i have pretty much the same crap plus hammers, drills, etc

JeepinHank
11-16-2004, 07:13 PM
Here's the check list I was referring to:
On long-distance trail rides, I carry two tool boxes and an "electrical connector box".
One toolbox usually sits on my workbench at home and is filled with the usual hand tools. The other one usually sits in a cabinet under my bench. That one contains the stuff that's used less frequently
The "electrical connector box" is basically a slim box with compartments and a clear door so I can quickly see what all is in there.

Tool Box:
* 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" drive socket set in both standard & metric (I keep both 6 and 12 pt in the 3/8" drive just in case)
* "Torx" Bits (up to T-55)
* Combination Wrench's in both standard & metric.
* Slot & Phillip screwdrivers
* 6"-12" Crescent wrench's
* Big C-clamp
* Needle Nose pliers
* Channelock pliers
* Wire Strippers / Crimpers
* Allen Wrenches - in both standard & metric
* Duct Tape
* Breaker Bar
* Valve Stem Tool
* Spare Schrader Valves
* Schrader Valve Tool
* Spare Valve Stems
* Wire Ties
* Tire Pressure Gauge
* Soldering Iron
* Assorted Files (flat, 1/2 round, round (rat tail), and the triangle shaped one)
* Feeler Guage
* Spark plug gauge

Electrical Connector Box:
* Fuses - assortment
* Electrical Tape
* Multi meter
* Misc. electrical connectors
* CB Antenna connectors
* Nut/bolt assortment
* Park light bulb
* Turn signal bulb
* Brake light bulb
* Head lamp bulb
* Heat shrink tubing

I tend to pack heavy, but I know my luck and hate to depend on someone else to carry something. There's some redundancy in that list compared to what's already been said, but maybe it will get you thinking about other possible items. I've been meaning to take an inventory of what all I've got out in the shop, maybe this will serve as a little motivation. If I do happen to do it this weekend, I'll post the relevant highlights in a new topic.

Hank