PDA

View Full Version : Looking for comments on my setup...

Hurricane 4x4
11-14-2004, 09:21 PM
First off.. I am new to the offroad world (in jeeps anyway). I have a 1996 zj 4.0 4x4 (selec-trac). I have been wheeling a few times with friends and am hooked.

My jeep is 100% D.D. and i use it most every weekend to pull a trailer with my motocross bikes to various tracks around the state. It needs to stay good at this!

I dont do any extreme wheeling (like some of you) but i would like my rig to be capable and durable on the trails. Currently the jeep is stock... save for some 235/75/15 allterrains... and a trailer hitch of course.

I dont really wheel in any rocks, but I probably can see bolting on skids for added peice of mind. I would like to hear from those with experience what skids (tcase, gas tank etc) would be necessary... and where to get (pull from a wrecked upcountry?)

Also i would probably need some tow hooks. The rear is covered because of the hitch, but for the front I am looking at rusty's... anyone used them?
I hear kevin's radiator support is the best front tow point available on the market... but it is pricey, and I am fairly easy on the jeep anyway.

As for the lift... 2" pucks seem to be the way to go. I have recently installed new shocks (cheap stock replacements from carquest)... and am looking at the rocky-road outfitters setup... $200 with dotesch shocks. As for the tires... I think i may wait and see if my current tires look goofy (small) with the lift, since they are nearly brand new. I hear that you can fit 31's with a BB, but they looked stuffed... something I do not want. Anyone tried 30's with a BB?

Thanks for any feedback!

Hurricane 4x4
11-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Also... I have heard about an issue with the front driveshaft being weak. Will this be a problem with a 2in lift?

LouisianaZJ
11-15-2004, 12:01 AM
just get rusty's tow hooks and a t-case skid first thing

2" BB will not need new driveshafts

you should run 31's with a BB

after, start looking at a stock gas tank skid from a junkyard and a set of rocker sliders from kevins

these type of requests are better handled by the turds @ www.jeepsunlimited.com

robselina
11-15-2004, 10:27 AM
you'll be fine with the ATs if you don't want to run 31s. It'll keep it nice for towing too with the smaller tire....

Stock front d-shaft should be fine, worry about it when you break it.

The BB you mention is the RE kit, it works.

stock gas and t-case skids will work fine. check nagca.com classifieds (if the page is up) as well as jeepsunlimited.com classifieds, or find a wrecked up country like you mentioned.

For tow points, do kevin's kit and cut the bumper. It looks better and has better approach angle IMO....

JeepinHank
11-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Sounds like you've got a good plan started. If you're concerned with 31's stuffing too much, just add a bumpstop to the bottom of the coil bucket up front. If you only go up to a 30x9.50, you'll kick yourself down the road for not going bigger. My first set of bumpstops was a hockey puck glued to the bottom of the coil bucket. Liquid nails works well as long as you clean the surface first. With 31 x 10.50s you may rub a little at full turn. You can take care of that with a new set of rims, or by adjusting your steering stops.

The Rocky Road kit sounds like a good deal, but check around to see if you might be able to do better buying everything sepeartely.

For the BB's, check out www.extreme-engineering.com those are the original "Anthony's Budget Boosts."

The Dotesch shocks are pretty cheap, like ~$35 a pop, you may be able to do even better if you can find them used.

Good luck with it, you'll like it. IMHO, if you want to really go bigger, you'll need to start thinking about upgrading other stuff anyway.

Hurricane 4x4
11-15-2004, 06:48 PM
I found the DT-3000's for $130 for a set of 4. Have any of you used them?

Anthony's BB runs $60... so the kit from rocky-road is only $10 more.

Thanks for the help. I guess i'll lift it and then decide about tires. If they look tiny i will just pop for some 31's i suppose.