PDA

View Full Version : D30 knuckles with ram-assist

Nordic1
11-11-2004, 04:23 AM
I just wanted to gather opinions on it. IF people honestly think an hp30 (yea I read the 30 vs 44 thread) can hold up to a ram, then I'll be building my hp30. Ram assist isn't something I want right away but I know I am going to want one down the line. If nobody things a 30 can hold up to one, I'll build a dana 44 (since the housings on 3/4 ton 44s are so much beefier). And for the people that are going to scream.. "wheel it and find out" then piss off, I'm going to Johnson's Valley as soon as I get out of this semester.

BigDaveZJ
11-11-2004, 04:36 AM
The phrase "polished turd" comes to mind . . . .

Nordic1
11-11-2004, 04:59 AM
lol yea I know.

mikebeach
11-11-2004, 05:31 AM
your gonna take that circus wagon to JV... this I gotta see :lol:

Nordic1
11-11-2004, 12:15 PM
already I am wishing I hadn't posted this :lol:

IT may be somewhat newbish but it was an honest question

ATL ZJ
11-11-2004, 01:17 PM
Just take a look at the difference between d30 and 44 knuckles. I think that will help in answering your question. Not to mention that if you're running a big enough tire on a d30 to need ram assist, you have bigger problems to worry about first.

nate
11-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Well I'll give you this info and you can decide.

This setup has been run under a TJ in the Outback Challenge, Rainforest Challenge, prolly a few more I can't think of.

Anyway, Currie 9" housing, D30 knuckles, modified YJ stering parts and ram assist.

No prolems while running 38" Boggers.

Worse case the knuckles fall off or something... you still have all the steering stuff, so it's not like you'd lose $$.

Because threads without pics suck... heres an older shot of the Jeep..
http://northern4x4.com/creations/pics/edtj.jpg

BMRisko
11-11-2004, 02:32 PM
What size tire are you running where you need ram assist? Secondly, why are you running that tire size on a 30? You shouldn't need ram assist w/ 35s unless you are a weak pussy, which you very well could be. I can understand with 37s, but then, I'd start considering other axle options than a 30. If you really want to do it, beef up the housing where one end of the ram will mount...as for the knuckles, the only way I see a knuckle breaking (force transmitted through the tie rod into the knuckle) is if you suck at driving and are trying to turn directly into a rock face or something. You also have to worry about your steering box, but the ram will take alot of stress off that. I say go for it...you seem to really like your turdy, so you might as well polish it like no other turdy has ever been polished. Seriously, you could go down in the books as having a 30 thats even more famous than Nate's, but you'd really have to work at it and polish it every night and add some really cool stuff like ram assist, chrome paint, an ARB, beefy truss, oh yea ALLOY shafts!, shit even a WJ brake swap, super HD diff cover, damn you might as well even try to shave it some! Oh hell yea, imagine the clearance on a shaved 30!!! This could be something spectacular that will definately be remembered for a long, long time! Heck, you could even start your own club, like the PTA, only it would be Polished Turdies of America, screw that you would want worldwide stature. GLOBAL status for this engineering feat...I'm talking bumper stickers, t-shirts, websites, a fucking FAN CLUB! Girls would be bowing down when they saw that gleaming turd under the mean black machine. I'm talking blinding oncoming drivers, thats how polished you should make it, just a sparkling diamond on the horizon as you are cruising down the road with the sun beating down on the one and only, ULTIMATE POLISHED TURDY!

Nordic1
11-11-2004, 02:43 PM
I'm running a 35" with no plans of running anything larger. As it stands with the 621MR and the stock PS pump, I can move pretty good sized boulders with my tires. I'm not planning on ram assist any time soon (no need for it) but it would be a cool thing to have down the line. Thanks for the responce JACKASS http://www.fototime.com/%7B5869CDD7-B325-413D-88AE-E507592105DD%7D/picture.GIF

nate
11-11-2004, 05:53 PM
That's some funny shit :D

Mine has been good to me so far. Locked and some my "huge" 33"s haha.

Jim311
11-11-2004, 09:11 PM
What size tire are you running where you need ram assist? Secondly, why are you running that tire size on a 30? You shouldn't need ram assist w/ 35s unless you are a weak pussy, which you very well could be. I can understand with 37s, but then, I'd start considering other axle options than a 30. If you really want to do it, beef up the housing where one end of the ram will mount...as for the knuckles, the only way I see a knuckle breaking (force transmitted through the tie rod into the knuckle) is if you suck at driving and are trying to turn directly into a rock face or something. You also have to worry about your steering box, but the ram will take alot of stress off that. I say go for it...you seem to really like your turdy, so you might as well polish it like no other turdy has ever been polished. Seriously, you could go down in the books as having a 30 thats even more famous than Nate's, but you'd really have to work at it and polish it every night and add some really cool stuff like ram assist, chrome paint, an ARB, beefy truss, oh yea ALLOY shafts!, shit even a WJ brake swap, super HD diff cover, damn you might as well even try to shave it some! Oh hell yea, imagine the clearance on a shaved 30!!! This could be something spectacular that will definately be remembered for a long, long time! Heck, you could even start your own club, like the PTA, only it would be Polished Turdies of America, screw that you would want worldwide stature. GLOBAL status for this engineering feat...I'm talking bumper stickers, t-shirts, websites, a fucking FAN CLUB! Girls would be bowing down when they saw that gleaming turd under the mean black machine. I'm talking blinding oncoming drivers, thats how polished you should make it, just a sparkling diamond on the horizon as you are cruising down the road with the sun beating down on the one and only, ULTIMATE POLISHED TURDY!

Gaaaaaaaahahahah :lol:

LouisianaZJ
11-11-2004, 11:52 PM
"redneck ram"
that's the only kind loot i'd put into a D30

a guy i knew had ram assist on a wagoneer with 36" TSL's but he was welded up front (d44) which is why he wanted it

Kraqa
11-12-2004, 01:25 AM
i don't know how well the inverted y would last with ram assist. or even how well it would work unless you attached the ram to the drag link. but the stearing components are so week anyways it would be a waste. i bent three TEI rods with 32's if i had ram assist i dont' know if it would last longer then one trip.

RufftyTuffty
11-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Mine are still in one piece after 3 months of wheelin.

The key is to use the TR and not the knuckle for the ram to push on...HOWE also modify the box so it will not overturn.

Note to all the moaning retards - It is not that much work to cut it off and transfer if to another axle...period.

robselina
11-12-2004, 10:46 PM
You shouldn't need ram assist w/ 35s unless you are a weak pussy

dude, when i welded the front of the wagon, i could hardly turn it on rocks with 31s, nevermind the 35s. hydro assist is well worth it regardless of tire size frankly if you're into rocks. Even with 32s and open front, our ZJ struggles to steer through most tough obstacles. If my wife is driving, I really have to think about where I"m putting her tires 'cause she can't manhandle the wheel like I can. I'm considering putting a 1.5x8 ram on the ZJ one of these days regardless of how big a tire we go or locked front.....

robselina
11-12-2004, 10:49 PM
BTW - check this out. I wrote it up when I did my ghetto hydro assist on the D44HD under the waggy.

http://www.ifsja.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000058