PDA

View Full Version : OK, I'm an idiot. Fuel leaking from ex-charcoal canister.

Cody
11-07-2004, 04:35 AM
I'm really drunk, so try and make sense of this.

The last couple of trips, when I'm really on the throttle, or coming down hill, I've noticed a really strong gas smell. Once, a little bit of gas dripped out of the front of my jeep, but we couldn't figure out WTF it was coming from.

So today I'm coming out of a trail and someone tells me I'm leaving a trail. It's gas. Gay. So I pop the hood and look around. I broke my charcoal canister a few montsh back and I just stuck the hose and wireing and stuff into the little pice that used to attach the air box to the grill (some sort of tube thing). There is gas inside of it, and the little tube that used to go into the charcoal canister looks as if there has been gas coming from it.

So, what do I do here? plug it? Breather? Check valve (ball valve?)? Match? Is there no way fuel could really be coming from this tube?

Cody

BigDaveZJ
11-07-2004, 04:41 AM
I've got the same issue, just haven't gotten around to fixing it either.

Alaska ZJ
11-07-2004, 01:31 PM
Charcoal Canister is like 15 bucks at napa. Put it back on there and put it somewhere that is will not get bashed......

Ofcoarse I have the same problem and have not fixed it....lol

OverkillZJ
11-07-2004, 02:19 PM
I dunno, I just have my hoses connected in a loop without the canister, I couldn't even pickup any differencs with the autotap - rns like a champ :?:

gearhead313
11-07-2004, 05:11 PM
The canister is for fuel "vapor", not actual fuel. There might be a problem somewhere else that is leaking raw fuel into the canister.

Its been a while since i've looked at mine, but to any effect, trace the main line from the motor and just bypass the cansiter all together. I had to do this once i stuffed a tire and busted in half.

Troy
11-07-2004, 08:14 PM
The canister is for fuel "vapor", not actual fuel. There might be a problem somewhere else that is leaking raw fuel into the canister.

I have to agree. With my canister smashed, I just added a filter to the end of the tube running to the tank. Never checked it to see if it evers gets soaked with fuel but I don't think that it's supposed to.

Jim311
11-07-2004, 11:23 PM
Mine makes some sort of wierd ass noise. Time to relocate it.. it's all bashed to hell.

I haven't done anything about mine either :P

chadjans
11-08-2004, 05:25 AM
Cody you now have a vacume leak. Remember GSSW when I broke mine. I had leaking fuel untill I replaced it. Motor ran better also because of no vacume leak. One line comes from the intake manafold, one comes from the fuel pump and one is an evaorpative line. Get a new can and relocate.

Chad

gearhead313
11-08-2004, 12:56 PM
id say plug the vacuum line and run the evap line to bypass the canister.

JeepinHank
11-09-2004, 09:08 AM
would it be possible that you're not firing on all cylinders? I would guess that the un-burnt fuel would be coming back through the return line? How about your fuel pressure? I know you're running an aftermarket fuel cell and pump, do you think that could be contributing?

On a semi-related note, what has been tried in relocating the charcoal canister? Is there any adverse effect to mounting it horizontal instead of in a vertical alignment? (side to side instead of up and down?) I've been running without mine since the front bumper went on. I didn't think I had any problem with it, but with this last tune up, I noticed that my spark plugs were unusually black. That leads me to think that maybe it actually DID something.

gearhead313
11-09-2004, 09:23 AM
well since there is actually charcoal in there, it needs to be upright or things wont work right. It could pick up too much, or to little whenever it purged, or if it was upside down all the material against the inlet/outlet could slow flow or any kind of weird situation. Either eliminate it or keep it upright.

OverkillZJ
11-09-2004, 11:08 AM
well since there is actually charcoal in there, it needs to be upright or things wont work right. It could pick up too much, or to little whenever it purged, or if it was upside down all the material against the inlet/outlet could slow flow or any kind of weird situation. Either eliminate it or keep it upright.

Several guys have been running it sideways without problems. I understand your theory's behind your reasoning, but it didn't seem to have any ill effects.

Then again, neither does just ripping it out.

Nordic1
11-09-2004, 11:39 AM
You can throw a T on there and connect all three vacuum lines to it. I don't know if its different on OBD1 vehicles but I tried plugging the vacuum lines and then running the gas tank breather to the air filter. This setup ended up having my check engine light pop up which kind of pissed me off.

Jim311
11-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Damn, I hadn't even though about it... but I bet my cannister is screwed up and causing poor performance due to the vacuum leak. I'd gone over everything else too. I guess it's time to quit ignoring this problem and actually fix it this time.

gearhead313
11-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Several guys have been running it sideways without problems. I understand your theory's behind your reasoning, but it didn't seem to have any ill effects.

It could totally be fine running sideways or upside down. Its just that you wont see performance issues, only emmisions issues. I personally know that it wont effect anything that i would worry about, so i removed mine. Other people can definitly leave it in if they wish...its just not that crutial of a part.

OverkillZJ
11-09-2004, 05:01 PM

It could totally be fine running sideways or upside down. Its just that you wont see performance issues, only emmisions issues. I personally know that it wont effect anything that i would worry about, so i removed mine. Other people can definitly leave it in if they wish...its just not that crutial of a part.

I know what you're sayin' - but my emmissions didn't change a single bit with and without it according to autotap :)

I think like alot of things it can vary by vehicle though, lets face it, our rigs are some picky bitches compared to some other engines.

gearhead313
11-09-2004, 09:23 PM
thats cool, i would have totally guessed that it would do nothing while data log'd. I think general concensious should be: pull it the fawk out of there!

nate
11-10-2004, 06:38 AM
I know what you're sayin' - but my emmissions didn't change a single bit with and without it according to autotap :)

So how do you like the AutoTap? I saw the webpage the other day, but figured it was another one of those things that promise miracles, but barely works.

Cody
03-20-2005, 12:05 AM
would it be possible that you're not firing on all cylinders? I would guess that the un-burnt fuel would be coming back through the return line? How about your fuel pressure? I know you're running an aftermarket fuel cell and pump, do you think that could be contributing?

From the dead....

BINGO!!! You sir are a smart one. I was only fireing on 7--some how one of the plug wires popped off of it's home on the distributor. I didn't see it until I went through and did the cap/rotor/plugs/wires yesterday. That sucks!!! So could that have been the reason I had fuel coming out of that line?

So I have 3 tubes that are doing nothing where the canister used to be. Do I plug them? T them? Leave them? Filter them? Run them somewhere else?

Whats the story?

Cody

Jim311
03-20-2005, 01:47 PM
The big line is just some kinda vent line for the canister. I connected the other two lines. No ill effects, and no gas smell in my engine compartment anymore

:rock:

OverkillZJ
03-20-2005, 02:59 PM
The big line is just some kinda vent line for the canister. I connected the other two lines. No ill effects, and no gas smell in my engine compartment anymore

:rock:

Same, but my gas tank seems to presurize a lil' now, hisses when Itake the cap off.

JeepinHank
03-21-2005, 11:01 AM

From the dead....

BINGO!!! You sir are a smart one. I was only fireing on 7--some how one of the plug wires popped off of it's home on the distributor. I didn't see it until I went through and did the cap/rotor/plugs/wires yesterday. That sucks!!! So could that have been the reason I had fuel coming out of that line?

So I have 3 tubes that are doing nothing where the canister used to be. Do I plug them? T them? Leave them? Filter them? Run them somewhere else?

Whats the story?

Cody

:smt003 I feel so smart.

That would probably explain it the fuel coming out of the line. That's what the charcoal canister is there for.

Connecting the two lines is probably the best way to go, but as Overkill said, it will probably cause the tank to pressurize a bit. Running all three into a "T" MIGHT keep that from happening, but it depends on how much of a problem the pressure really is if it would really be worth the extra effort.

Glad you got it figured out. I'm sure you're noticing an improvement in performance. :supz:

Jim311
03-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Yeah, my tank is pressurized too, but nothing extreme.

OverkillZJ
03-21-2005, 11:28 AM

Besides, it sounds cool when you take the cap off and it goes HSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH like a door opening on the Delorean from back to the future :weedman:

Jim311
03-21-2005, 10:11 PM

Besides, it sounds cool when you take the cap off and it goes HSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH like a door opening on the Delorean from back to the future :weedman:

I pretend I just farted and excuse myself.

Cody
03-21-2005, 11:42 PM
well, I connected the two bigger lines and just left hte little one. seems to still run. I guess only time will tell.........

Cody

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
03-22-2005, 02:34 AM
does no one else have their canister on its side, 90* rotated so it tucks up in the front of the fender behind the bumper? I dont get close to mine, even at full compression.

TrojanMan
03-22-2005, 10:42 PM
I took mine out. I plugged the line going into the intake manifold and the line going to the fuel tank. I've had no problems so far. If I pass inspection without them looking for it.. I'll give mine away if someone wants it, so long as they cover shipping.