PDA

View Full Version : What temp do you plug your truck in at?

Trancezj
11-04-2004, 10:56 AM
This is my first diesel, I've been plugging it in even though it's only getting down to 37 at night. I just did it for shits and giggles one night and it started better the next day, so I figured I should be.

Anyone have any clue how it effects their power bill?

Troy
11-04-2004, 01:51 PM
I only plug mine in because I like the fact that it runs and sounds a lot better and provides heat a little quicker. I don't daily drive it so I usually plug it in the night before I know I'm going to drive it but about 4 hours of block heater time is usually sufficient.

Alaska ZJ
11-04-2004, 02:03 PM
My outside outlet is on a switch. I plug in when I park for the night and when I wake up about 2 hours before I leave for the gym I flip the light on and start the block heater.

I try to plug in at about 35 and below. It just starts nicer and like troy said provides a little heat faster.

-60.....now we have a problem...I leave that bastard plugged in and on all the time.

Trancezj
11-04-2004, 02:18 PM
if it starts better in the 35-40 deg range should I plug it in? Because it does. It doesn't smoke like it's on fire if I do.

JpRngr
11-04-2004, 03:55 PM
If it starts better, go ahead. It definitely won't do any harm, other than your electric bill will be slightly higher. I started plugging mine in once it started getting colder than 40 at night.

Corey

nate
11-04-2004, 04:12 PM
We plugs ours in at work when it gets to 20* or below... pretty much most of the winter :D

gearhead313
11-04-2004, 04:33 PM
If its anywhere below 40 as well i'll usually plug my flatbed in, otherwise it just takes 2 glow plug cycles and it fires up pretty easily.

Alaska ZJ
11-04-2004, 10:12 PM
If its anywhere below 40 as well i'll usually plug my flatbed in, otherwise it just takes 2 glow plug cycles and it fires up pretty easily.

I would so like to put the airgate heater on my Dmax. Sure makes starting them in the cold nicer.

gearhead313
11-05-2004, 01:26 PM
Its probably more important to dry start then just "starting easier". I mean, i can crank the shit out of it sometimes when i forgot to plug the flatbed in, but by then there's some oil pressure there and it usually doesn't sound like it going to come apart as bad... no doubt, the airgate heater is good.

Troy
11-05-2004, 04:03 PM
I would so like to put the airgate heater on my Dmax. Sure makes starting them in the cold nicer.

What and airgate heater? Is that like what Dodge uses with their "heater intake grid" that heats the air?

Alaska ZJ
11-05-2004, 08:44 PM

What and airgate heater? Is that like what Dodge uses with their "heater intake grid" that heats the air?

Yes, and then once he does a SFA swap, and maybe a rogaine treatment for his balls, he may as well have gotten a Dodge in the first place. :roll:

What injector pump is the Dodge using now? Thought so.

I love my IFS on tow rig. Damn thing feels like a car. But it would be without a doubt worthless offroad. I did pull it into the gravel today....does that count?