PDA

View Full Version : Rear Sway Bar Solutions On The 8.8

Nordic1
11-01-2004, 02:47 AM
So I got my 8.8 in finally... I bolted up my sway bar only to find that it didn't really fit as it left less than an inch between the end of the sway bar and the tire. I don't know about you but I didn't really feel like risking puncturing a tire (and knowing my luck with installs, I’d probably bust a tire before the jeep came off of the rack). Well I hoping to see what other people came up for sway bar solutions on their 8.8s. If anybody is confused as to my description, I’ll post pics as soon as I get my camera back (I left it at the shop). I’ll be putting my front sway bar back in Saturday morning but I was shooting to have a rear sway bar as soon as possible. Thanks!

Nordic1
11-01-2004, 02:48 AM
I was thinking something along the lines on Currie anti-rock'ish style of sway bar if I can't get a stock sway bar back there.

OverkillZJ
11-01-2004, 02:57 AM
I need to get under my rig and take pics, Mark managed to get a TJ sway working on my axle when I was in CO this summer. It's fantastic, doesn't limit flex, but definately helps to prevent body roll / lean.

TJ bars run along the axle, and from there I had some heim-style links going to the frame rails.

I hope to add an antirock in the front this winter to top it off, can't wait. :twisted:

Nordic1
11-01-2004, 03:07 AM
I thought about that, I don't really like the idea of running more shit on the axle (because it's just waiting to get snagged on a rock).

OverkillZJ
11-01-2004, 03:31 AM
I thought about that, I don't really like the idea of running more shit on the axle (because it's just waiting to get snagged on a rock).

I ripped off a shock mount last month, THAT'S snagged on a rock. The sway? Really doesn't get in the way at all.

gearhead313
11-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Im sure this isn't what you want to hear....but running no sway on the street isn't that bad if you have the front hooked up.

I'd drive it first and see what you think. If its something you can't really deal with, then im sure there is a way to get the TJ one hooked up like ovakill

gsh
11-01-2004, 07:56 PM
I agree with gearhead. I'm running no rear swaybar. I've even made short trips on back roads with the front disconnected. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Pearce
11-01-2004, 09:11 PM
Build your own Anti Rock:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290311961

http://www.1speedway.com/Swaybars.htm

Will still run you about $200

LouisianaZJ
11-02-2004, 01:28 AM
bah, just junk the rear sway bar

...especially if its just the factory coat hanger grade sway bar

if yur really set on keeping it, you will probably be able to bend it a little so it is a little narrower

Nordic1
11-02-2004, 01:33 AM
I'm probably going to junk the stock style sway bar setup. Although this weekend I will look at my addco and see if it can be rebent AND work out ok.

gearhead313
11-02-2004, 09:59 AM
I've driven at least one of my trips to West Palm Beach, FL to Pittsburgh, PA with NO sway bars on my 4.5" with 2" boost on 35's. It was the nicest ride ever. Steady 75-80mph and did the trip straight in 19 hours. . . .you'l be fine :wink:

Alaska ZJ
11-02-2004, 10:20 AM
I've driven at least one of my trips to West Palm Beach, FL to Pittsburgh, PA with NO sway bars on my 4.5" with 2" boost on 35's. It was the nicest ride ever. Steady 75-80mph and did the trip straight in 19 hours. . . .you'l be fine :wink:

Were you ever required to do a panic stop with a swerve in there? I venture to say Hell No, because your still here to tell us that 75 on the freeway with no sway bars is perfectly safe.

I did a panic stop in the chuggy at about 25-35 mph with no sway bars once, ONCE. I went home and put the front one back on, that day. Then I went to Walmart and bought me some new Underwear cuz the others were ruined.

OverkillZJ
11-02-2004, 10:31 AM
Alaska, couldn't agree more.

My brother and I would be dead if I didn't have both sways on coming back to Pittsburgh from GSW this summer. The ass end didn't lag as much now that it has a rear sway, much more car-like in a panic move.

gearhead313
11-02-2004, 04:14 PM
Your rig must be different from mine b/c i've had to jump on the brakes a bunch of times b/c where i live people are DICKS!

I've lifted a rear tire many times doing it, even around corners when braking...just grow a ball sack and keep going. :shock: :lol:

nate
11-03-2004, 04:04 AM
Yeah whatever.... when you Jeep is on it's roof on the side of the highway, I'll know why and just point and laugh.

BigDaveZJ
11-03-2004, 04:54 AM
The anti-rock style is definately the way to go IMO. I'm relatively low in height compared to most on here, and I haven't had either sway bar on in about 3 years and 50,000 miles. When I go taller, I will add sways more for stability on the trail rather than the road. Sways really help limit the pucker factor in off-camber situations, and if done right won't limit flex a whole lot.

gearhead313
11-03-2004, 09:19 AM
Yeah whatever.... when you Jeep is on it's roof on the side of the highway, I'll know why and just point and laugh.

maybe I can drive and you can't? http://www.pittspeed.com/forums/images/smilies/dunno.gif

no really... its been scary a few times, just not enough to make me put sways back on it.

Antirock IS the way to go...if you wanna build on or buy one your not going to go wrong with it.

Alaska ZJ
11-03-2004, 10:06 AM
Your rig must be different from mine b/c i've had to jump on the brakes a bunch of times b/c where i live people are DICKS!

I've lifted a rear tire many times doing it, even around corners when braking...just grow a ball sack and keep going. :shock: :lol:

Wow. Remind me to never follow you on the highway. Cuz if you think lifting a tire while braking is "OK" you officially qualify as having a couple Nuggets short of a Happy Meal.

gearhead313
11-03-2004, 10:19 AM
its definitly an interesting experiance. I've lead a few people with me to experiance the greatness that is 3 wheeling at 45mph. :lol:

....................damn, where did my nuggets go :(

OverkillZJ
11-03-2004, 11:24 AM
its definitly an interesting experiance. I've lead a few people with me to experiance the greatness that is 3 wheeling at 45mph. :lol:

....................damn, where did my nuggets go :(

Once again, I don't give a flying fawk what you say.... sways > none on the highway.

gearhead313
11-03-2004, 03:40 PM
lets go put axles under my jeep right now and i'll take you for a ride. I'll guarentee you it rides and has manners twice as good as the shit kevin's kit or whatever shit is on your POS.

bring it computer boy http://www.northeastcrawlers.org/forum/images/smiles/098.gif

Nordic1
11-03-2004, 08:55 PM
http://www.fototime.com/%7B222E19B6-8BAA-4CE3-8D4B-36D1D47EF94D%7D/picture.JPG

You're telling us your setup will drive better overall without sway bars than any of our setups? That's alot of talk my friend.

edit- Now that I took a look at your sig, you're telling us your SPOOLED 8.8 makes driving without swaybars better than any of our setups on sway bars? You sure on that?

LouisianaZJ
11-03-2004, 09:01 PM
3 wheelin in u turns > *

that is all

gearhead313
11-03-2004, 09:36 PM
hey....if you all wanna drive porsche's go ahead, im perfectly happy with my rig and no sways.

edit: isn't this supposed to be a "hardcore" ZJ site?

BigDaveZJ
11-03-2004, 10:17 PM
edit: isn't this supposed to be a "hardcore" ZJ site?

Yeah, but not a dumbass site!

Nordic1
11-04-2004, 12:37 AM
So back on topic... does anybody know of any write-ups on the torsion style sway bar setup on unibody jeeps?

RufftyTuffty
11-04-2004, 11:19 AM
You might want to consider/research a reverse anti rok setup....where the bar is mounted to the axle and the links tie in to a frame mount.

This way it saves you the headack of routing the bar.

I'm not saying this is the shizznit....merely that i have seen it done like this on several rigs...from built jeeps to buggies.

nate
11-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Is it possible to use the stock swaybar in the stock location? I'm guessing the upper links are getting in the way?

I talked to one of the guys @ Clayton's a while back and he told me that the stocker would work.

OverkillZJ
11-04-2004, 04:04 PM
lets go put axles under my jeep right now and i'll take you for a ride. I'll guarentee you it rides and has manners twice as good as the shit kevin's kit or whatever shit is on your POS.

bring it computer boy http://www.northeastcrawlers.org/forum/images/smiles/098.gif

Alright, it's on.

No, you don't need sways on the street. I've driven many many miles without any sways at all. I put on the rear TJ sway because it's thin enough to NOT HINDER FLEX but help with body lean on the trail. I run a military addco 1.25" bar up front while on the street so that I have a better chance of avoiding an accident. I went on a 7,000 mile road trip this summer, much of which was driven up at 95MPH. If running sways on the street is what it takes to make that a lightly safer, slightly more enjoyable trip, then ok. I'm completely for them. As far as yours riding better? No. Actually, not a fucking chance in hell. Dave, you've been in my rig, what do you think, does it ride like a rustbucket?

Second of all, don't EVER compare your rig to mine, let alone Claytons LA's to RE's pieces of crap. I've been under your jeep just enough to know that I would never want to get IN your jeep. You have fawkin' solid steel brake host flexing everytime your rear axle drops. It's going to break eventually. You have a welded VC in a POS 249 transfer case, and a spooled rear. Ya, I'll drive that POS across the country.... not.

Remember, I know many people you know. I know that half of the time you spend on the trail is when you break something because you didn't think it through, and you didn't set it up properly. My rig only spends down time in my own driveway, exception of my latest wellsville flop.

You, my friend, are a shitload of talk, but very much so a newbie to "the ZJ thing." Lots of trips to Wellsville and one run in Paragon, make you a ZJ guru does not.

As punishment for being stupid and talking to much shit, you have a new club-title under your username until I feel like taking it away.

Now go sit in the corer, dumbass! :twisted:

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/ForumPics/sitincorner.jpg

gearhead313
11-04-2004, 04:26 PM
Way to go flex your internet muscles boss. Maybe if i was more inclined i could make a better comeback and start a tussle, but i can't. Thats that, you are a better webwheeler than me.

i just remember you under my jeep going, 'wow, the infamous RE kit'...not, wow, look at this POS setup. but hey, thats fine.

and i'll never forget your face when i walked up and you said something to the effect of, 'so what do u think' and i just looked at you funny and didn't say anything..... i guess i must have just been returning the faithful graditude :D

its all good man, im still smilin 8)

OverkillZJ
11-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Way to go flex your internet muscles boss. Maybe if i was more inclined i could make a better comeback and start a tussle, but i can't. Thats that, you are a better webwheeler than me.

That's CAPTAIN webwheeler to you!

You better still be smiling, it was funny and you know it.

IT WAS FUNNY, DAMNIT.

Wait, am I off topic? Crap, gotta go ban myself now.

BMRisko
11-04-2004, 05:08 PM
The swaybar I planned on making utilized the stock swaybar, but for links I had an 8" long grade 8 1/2" bolt threaded into a female heim. The heim was going to be bolted through the side of the coil bucket or I was going to weld on a tab. Some metal tube slid over the bolt to act as a spacer and allow you to tighten up on the bushings sandwiching the stock rear sway.

Crackhead, have you ever had to do an abrupt maneuver on the highway w/ no sways? You aren't going to be laughing when a ladder falls off a truck infront of you or a tire off a semi is sitting in your lane and you have to swerve around it in your swayless skyscraper heep. Good luck getting off your roof as you sit in the median, smashed up against a retaining wall or wedged under a semi. The 9" of supposed lift you have and stock width axles doesn't help matters either. I hate to wish harm upon anyone, but I seriously hope you have to pull an emergency swerve sometime sooner than later. Post up when you get out of the hospital....if you survive. :twisted:

gearhead313
11-04-2004, 06:29 PM
aww, my good buddy! http://www.pittspeed.com/forums/images/smilies/love.gif I thought you might grace us with your post.

....and thats pretty fucked up wishing severe bodily harm on someone. http://www.pittspeed.com/forums/images/smilies/nono.gif

o and heims on the end of the sway bar links would be decent. but instead of attaching them to the coil bucket or whatever, you could hack a shock bracket off a junk jeep axle and mount it swinging up from either under or along side the coil bucket and then have double shear on the heim.

OverkillZJ
11-04-2004, 07:51 PM
i think we should lock crackhead and risko in a room for a week and make it the latest reality TV craze....

gearhead313
11-04-2004, 09:19 PM
i love the crack :shock:

ok, the posts are useless now

OverkillZJ
11-04-2004, 09:35 PM
i love the crack :shock:

ok, the posts are useless now

Ya, they are.

Moving to General Grand Talk, since it atleast started as quasi-tech.