PDA

View Full Version : Pulling transfer case

MaineZJ
10-31-2004, 12:51 PM
OK, this is really pissing me off. trying to pull my xfer case to change some seals.
I can get all the nuts off (including the stupid top one), shafts out, wires/hoses off. should be all set to pop right out.... nope...
That top stud I'm thinking has some corrision on it (washer was toast) and it's not pulling out of the tranny.. I've done everything I can think of to get it to move, used shims midway up the case to try and pivot down on, hitting anywhere I can without cracking the case....
Anyone have any ideas on getting this to release?

BigDaveZJ
10-31-2004, 01:33 PM
How many nuts did you take off? Sometime's the top ones can hide on ya, there should be 6 that you took off.

MaineZJ
10-31-2004, 01:45 PM
got all 6 of em. I can push the case upwards leaving a gap at the bottom, but I can't get the top to release.

OverkillZJ
10-31-2004, 03:01 PM
...Get a bigger hammer :twisted:

MaineZJ
10-31-2004, 03:46 PM
and hit what with it? can't break the case just yet.... :twisted:
I got the xfer case shifter out, and can just see the stud. tired spraying with PB and hitting it with my big punch. no luck.
if only I could get that whole big cover out, might have a chance

OverkillZJ
10-31-2004, 10:22 PM
Heat, PB (like your doin') and tapping around it with a hammer is what I would try.

What do I know though, My case comes off so easily it almost crushes my head!

JpRngr
11-01-2004, 01:44 AM
Stupid question, but are you sure you're not hitting the body with the back upper part of the case? On some there's not enough space to move it back without dropping everything down a little by dropping the cross member.

Corey

P.S. Love the new AVATAR!! :shock:

nate
11-10-2004, 02:00 PM
I had to get under mine and put some ass into it. Don't be afraid... you won't break it. :D