PDA

View Full Version : phat jeeps high steer?

happy
10-25-2004, 12:52 PM
anyone no how much the high steering kit is from phat jeeps and if its any good?

OverkillZJ
10-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Moved to newbie tech, the Suspensions and Steering forum is more for technical discusions on custom setups. You'll get more of a response for this kind of question in this forum :)

Matt

BigDaveZJ
10-25-2004, 02:30 PM
This one?

http://www.phatjeeps.com/conversions/grand_chk_steering.jpg

I thought it looked pretty good until I saw this:

http://www.phatjeeps.com/conversions/cyn_steer_knuckle.jpg

That just looks spooky to me. I know a couple of the guys from Phat Jeeps and they don't actually make this stuff, it's made by some other company. I spoke with the people from the other company when the product first came out and didn't really care for their attitude a whole lot. I don't remember what they said for a price either, but by the time you dump that much into the Dana Turdy you might as well go HP44.

MaineZJ
10-25-2004, 02:38 PM
don't forget this pic

http://www.phatjeeps.com/conversions/grand_chk_steering2.jpg

happy
10-25-2004, 02:45 PM
alrighty then...well would u guys teach me exactly why that system looks "spooky" so i will know for future reference.

BigDaveZJ
10-25-2004, 02:52 PM
#1 for me was the single shear heim joint on the drag link.

gearhead313
10-25-2004, 03:25 PM
#1 for me was the single shear heim joint on the drag link.

WOW x2

also looks like nice....ahh......misalignment washers?? :roll:

Kraqa
10-25-2004, 03:26 PM
booger welds.

for a marketing pic i would take the time to tighten up that jam nut.

3/4" heims. they look like tethe cheep ones too.

i don't like the idea of how much leverage is going onto the hub bolts. just doesn't look safe.

would be ok for a trail only rig. but i wouldn't run that on the street. and i would expect alot of breakage and or bending.

gearhead313
10-25-2004, 03:32 PM
I do like the bracket that bolts to the wheel bearing bolts then over to the knuckle. the only thing is the bolts look like the old ones from the wheel bearing and now probably are only gripping with 1/2 the thread......i'd get longer bolts

Alaska ZJ
11-03-2004, 10:18 AM
washers stacked as misalignment spacers? That lack of attention to deatail probably carries over to the rest of the system and inturn could kill you.

Also unless they drilled out the knuckle or provide a conical insert for where the Tierod used to be that bolt is going to loosen up and probably break.

Also the Hub bolts are now not only keeping the wheel attached to the knuckle but they are taking stress from the steering system? Um Not good. Even if you get longer grade 8 bolts they are still residing in cast steel threads. And on the unitized bearing to boot. I wager to guess that they are walking around inside the holes as well. The Unitized hub is located via a machined groove and just clamped with the bolts.

Nothing like having your steering come apart while your on the trail fixing a broken axle.....

Search for Nbaldwin's steering setup he did it correctly.