PDA

View Full Version : Lame-ass winter tire question

Z
10-23-2004, 09:38 PM
Thinking about getting some winter tires for my long-armed ZJ. I currently have 33" MTRs that are great offroad but kinda expensive and very stiff (ride quality sucks). I'm looking for:

1. Better ride since I'll be doing all commuting and no wheeling (in the winter)
2. Give my tired 4.0L engine a break by going down 1" in diameter and 1 inch in width.
3. Save the somewhat more expensive MTRs for wheeling weather.
4. Allow me to still go to Moab in the winter (just in case I get withdrawls).
5. Decent wet / snow weather traction.

I'm considering 265/75s (~32") Goodyear AT/Ss. Some people hate these, but I had a pair and liked the ride quality (not durable enough for "full time" wheeling though). Thinkin' about the load range c tires for ride quality. Any comments?

BigDaveZJ
10-23-2004, 10:12 PM
It's so lame ass I'm gonna move it to newbie tech!! :D

My sister has the BFG A/T's on her ZJ and she lives down in Gunnison and she loves 'em. They're still aggressive enough for an impromptu wheeling adventure, and from what she says they kick ass in the snow. If you siped 'em it'd be even better. Not too sure how the ride quality is, but I think it'd be pretty good.

Z
10-24-2004, 12:29 AM
I had BFG ATs (old style) once. Got them as replacements for my AT/S's. Ride quality was noticeably worse. And my wife did a 180 on our subdivision street in the snow - she didn't think the snow was that bad so she didn't put the 231 into 4WD. So, I'm not too impressed with BFG AT's for this purpose.

Colorado 5.9
10-24-2004, 01:54 AM
I always liked my Wrangler AT/S's. I had them siped too!

Alaska ZJ
10-24-2004, 09:00 AM
I have a set of Yokohoma Geolanders on the Dmax. They are great so far on the ice and snow (what little we have had so far).

2Dgrez has them on his ZJ and SJ. He really likes tham. They are pretty cheap as well.

OverkillZJ
10-24-2004, 02:34 PM
I used to have 32" BFG AT's on the rig way back, I thought they were excellent on the snow and even ice.

MTR's should be decent in the snow, but I could see them having problems with ice. Not to mention that you dont wheel in the winter so what's the point.

Kraqa
10-24-2004, 03:13 PM
o drove alot last year with SSR's in the snow and ice and they actually did very well. not really a winter tire but still.

OverkillZJ
10-24-2004, 03:31 PM
o drove alot last year with SSR's in the snow and ice and they actually did very well. not really a winter tire but still.

My SSR's did great in the snow as well, but the're not for him if he's looking for a daily driver kinda tire since he's not into winter wheelin'

dank
10-25-2004, 07:43 PM
look at the dunlop radial rover rt's they are great in snow/offroad and can take studs if needed. I have 5 265/75 16 with less than 200 miles that I might be selling.

wwbmopar
10-30-2004, 08:28 AM
Check out www.high-tec-retreading.com

I tried them about 5 years ago when I desperatly needed new rubber and had no money. I will never buy another brand. Snow and ice performance is great if you get the green diamonds. Their ATs wheel very well also. 2 yr/24,000 mile warrenty and $307.00 for 4 265/75/16s mounted and balanced. Last weekend at Kelly Flats and Sevenmile road, my WJ was the only vehicle in the group with absolutly no wheel spin, even on wet rocks. Did well on 2 trips from Wyoming to Tellico and back also. The only thing is make sure of your clearance. Their tires run the exact size they say, ie. thier 31s are 31 in, the 265s are exactly 32 in.

Swamp boy
10-31-2004, 11:23 AM
Whats show ??????????

:lol: :lol:

Texas ZJ1
11-23-2004, 05:35 PM
I ran my Savero Radial GT Mts last winter and they about killed me. So, I bought some Bridgestone ATs and they were tons better.

Hunter

KsZJ
12-06-2004, 10:00 PM
I too had the BFG AT... 32's. I thought they did really well in the snow. Any tire with the little mountian with the snow flake in it on the side is a true cretified snow tire (there is a difference between this and the little M+S rating crap on the side). The BFG ATs have this. Some places require a tire like this in order for you to even drive in the winter.

S&WShooter
12-06-2004, 10:16 PM
As a jeep tech I have driven alot of different Jeeps with the BFG AT's on them. They didin't impress me in the snow. Especially for the price. I use a set of Starfires. They are aggressive with A LOT of sipes, but are a lot quieter that they look, and 31x 10.5 were only $80 or so. IMO the BFG's are too stiff to make a good winter tire. To each his own.

nate
12-07-2004, 09:44 AM
I've never run a "winter" tire on anything I've owned. My Uniroyal M/Ts do ok in the winter.

I think the BFG A/Ts work good and are fairly cheap. The 33s go for right around $115.

My buddy runs a set of 35 MTRs that are siped on his Blazer, they do good.

The best I've seen is the Truxus. I swear they has glue on them or something. Next best thing to them would be chains IMO.