PDA

View Full Version : Completely part-out, return to stock or sell as-is...?

BMRisko
10-21-2004, 01:51 PM
OK, the time has come to get rid of the Heep. I have already sold the bumpers, front locker, disconnects, some skids and rear trac-bar. 1) I can continue on my path and sell all the lift stuff and then part it all out (tranny was rebuilt a yr ago and still has a 2 yr warranty so thats worth some $) or 2) I can return it to stock and sell all the mods. If I return it to stock I'll have to weld some brackets on for the stock control arms, but thats about it. I am sure there would be some liability involved there, but that can be figured out later. The body is pretty damaged, but if I got a new front fender and rear window it would be somewhat presentable other than the cut-out rockers. Strong running vehicles are always worth something to someone, right? 3) Or, I could try to sell it as is. Based on the fact the Heep has no bumpers, it is still built up pretty good. Still has the 8.8 and lift on it, but the d30 would need shafts as I sold those as well. Also has the cage so its a good starting point for someone who may want a trail beater.

Obviously option # 3 would have the least amount of work involved, wrenching-wise and probably the easiest on me. I am really looking for a compromise between getting the most $ that I can out of this, but also not stressing myself out by taking off and shipping part after part. I really have all the time I need and a place to store the Jeep, so 1) and 2) are also seemingly viable options. Another issue is the cage, I might be able to cut it out in certain parts so the new owner could add some tube and weld it back up, but thats still up in the air.

Any opinions or experiences involving this type of situation. Please don't PM me asking for parts now.

Troy
10-21-2004, 03:42 PM
You won't recover much money by outright selling it. I'd part it out and sink the recovery money into a new rig and parts.

Cody
10-21-2004, 03:54 PM
I know where a bitchin ZJ is for sale!

Cody

I need to make $, not spend it! :D

Timzjatl
10-21-2004, 04:25 PM
I don't think you'd be able to get much out of it parting out the rest of it other than the mods. I haven't even been able to give away the remaining parts of mine. I throw away a barrell a week of random interior, window, hatch, and door parts because I haven't been able to sell, trade, or give away any of it. Find someone to buy the jeepo as is, and take what they'll give you for it. It'll be the only way out.

LouisianaZJ
10-21-2004, 05:15 PM
I know where a bitchin ZJ is for sale!

Cody
:mrgreen: shameless plug

OverkillZJ
10-21-2004, 08:34 PM
You won't sell it.

:roll:

:twisted:

Trancezj
10-22-2004, 11:48 AM
back to this agian?

my .02
Selling it as is would be the easiest but you're not gunna get much. Even put back to stock, it's not worth much as ZJ's that are trail beaten can be bought for very little. I'd hang onto it unless you really need the money. I wouldn't count on more than 1500 for it after it's back to ~stock. Besides, do you still have the stock stuff? Molding, bumpers, control arms ................................. If not, you'd spend a small fortune buying that stuff. Easiest thing would be to leave it on long arms and just lower it. and I'd say you'll regret selling it. You may not have the urge to wheel it right now, but you might. Keep it until you've got something else.

JOE
10-23-2004, 07:17 PM
You won't sell it.

:roll:

:twisted:

don't bet on it.

I understand why you are selling, just realize that no matter what way you go about it that you won't get much $$$ regardless. Especially in comparison to the money you've spent on it.

benzj
10-23-2004, 10:28 PM
I did the same to my old ZJ. Took it back to stock, sold all the parts, etc. Didnt even come close to what I had into my ZJ. I ended up getting 1k bucks for my ZJ as is (stock) with a shot tranny, 168k on her, no carpet, beat all to hell, and had been laid on its side 3 times.

I dont know your situation Brandon, but if you can, keep it, its really the only way your going to come out on top.

Look at it this way, it takes a heck of a lot of time to part crap out, its not cheap to ship those parts, then you have to get stock crap, more money down the drain, then install them (time wasted), plus, you have long arms, which means welding the stock worthless crap back on, getting it so it will drive decent (I spent almost 500 bucks just trying to get my STOCK ZJ to drive right after I dropped it.) There is just sooo much crap that goes into that , I really, honestly would leave her alone.

Ive been in your shoes! Dont do it!.
Bennett (Thanks for the ride, again.)

ATL ZJ
10-24-2004, 12:45 PM
If your free time is abundant and therefore not worth that much, I would consider taking it back to stock and selling the parts. I know I would have bought the entire LA system and maybe some coils, shocks, etc. when I was approaching my axle swap/LA project. People want the stuff you have for sure, but it just comes down to whether you have TIME to:

a) strip it down to stock
b) wait around for people to buy the parts you have

Though money is clearly involved, I believe that TIME is ultimately the deciding factor.