PDA

View Full Version : question about dana 44/corp 10 bolt 1/2, 3/4 ton 6 / 8 lug

paulkeith
10-20-2004, 09:41 PM
you 44 gurus out there

are the spindles from a 6 lug 10 bolt the same as the spindles for a 8 lug? i've read from certain pages about the 6->8lug conversion that early year 44s and 10 bolt spindles have to be changed, and that later spindles can be used with the 8 lug hub.

anyone have any ideas?

also, is one of these spindle types a large bearing and small bearing? i can't figure out what the heck i've got, because i have no idea what my 10 bolt came out of. i do know that 1985 3/4 ton suburban front axle brake parts worked for it, but did they make 3/4 ton axles with 6 lugs? the tech section on pbb lists the 10 bolt under both 1/2 and 3/4 ton.

anyone got anything? i'm wading through a million pages of info and can't find anythign concrete.

thanks,
Paul

MaineZJ
10-20-2004, 09:47 PM
1/2tons are 6 bolt, 3/4tons are 8 bolt

paulkeith
10-20-2004, 09:59 PM
ok, that's what i figured. you have any idea about the spindles? i THINK since my axle is 81-91 effectivity(according to pbb), that my spindles should be the same as 3/4 ton spindles.

Cody
10-20-2004, 10:17 PM
I dont know if this helps, but I know you can get an 8 lug rim to work with 6 lug stuff. Rocklogic does this--they have an 8 lug front and a 6 lug rear and had a shop drill out the rims to accept either bolt pattern.

Cody

speedmontzj
10-21-2004, 12:17 AM
maybe this will help. i have a '74 d44 6lug(1/2 ton)chevy axle with flattop knuckles. i also have a 81-82 8lug(3/4)ton 10b. the d44 i have has smaller wheelbearing than the 10b along with smaller rotors, but both spindles are bolted on with six bolts. so you can use everything from the knuckles out to convert the 6lug d44 to an 8lug. i think all the 10b 1/2 and 3/4 ton used the same bearings/spindle, along with later d44s. the earlier d44 1/2 tons ( i want to say pre '77-'78 ) used a smaller inside bearing but the same outside. i think fords used the small bearing spindle some years also. hope i could help.

paulkeith
10-21-2004, 07:12 PM
alright, that goes along with what i got from pbb. the guy that replied to my post there said my spindles will work with 8 lug parts.

also, a guy selling hubs on ebay says all 10b's are the large bearing type (like you say yours is), and all i need to buy/find to do an 8 lug convo is new backing plates, hubs, and rotors.

it is my impression that the calipers will work, seeing how i bought my current 10bolt calipers as 3/4 ton suburban parts, and they fit/work

cody, that actually would be a pretty sweet solution. in this situation on this axle, does having 8 lugs instead of six provide any benefit at all besides the added load capacity of two more lugs? if the spindles, bearings, housings..tubes etc are all the same....

so, it is possible to drill a 6 lug pattern onto an 8 lug wheel, and vice versa....interesting. time to draw shit...

thanks again fellas,
Paul

Cody
10-21-2004, 09:23 PM
yeah, you get 2 more studs for strength.

I look at all the 60s that are converted to 5x5.5 and I dont' see any problems. I know it can happen, but i've seen a lug sheared.

I just look at it as more lugs to remove when changing tires.

Cody

paulkeith
10-23-2004, 01:45 PM
cody

i made a little solid edge rendering of the two bolt patterns. the spacing of the patterns works out fine, BUT the hole cutout in the center of the 8 lug wheel (5.15" , for the hub) would extend into the area of the 6 lug cutouts. maybe the wheels you saw were 6 lugs drliled for an 8 lug pattern, and this worked for them because their rear axle didn't need the large 5.15" cutout that my 14b does.

thanks for the suggestion though, i was pumped about it

Paul